Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 20 month old

Options
  • 05-04-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

Please help...finding it hard to cope...

My previously very happy 20 month old has changed. In the past 3 weeks, he has become a nightmare.

He used to be a great sleeper, going down from 7.30pm - 6.30/7am. And he would nap 12.30-2. We've always had this routine and it was brilliant.

In the past 3 weeks, he refuses to go down to sleep. When he is put into his cot, he will stay screaming for hours if we let him. We've tried everything. We've taking him up again. We've tried staying in the room with him. He will not lie down at all. He will literally sleep standing up. This will continue for 2-3 hours. He is exhausted.

And the tantrums. He will throw himself on the ground, doesn't matter where we are. Outside, inside, floor, concrete, it doesn't matter. And this is the most upsetting, he will bang his head off the ground. He forehead is destroyed from bruises. The more I try to stop him, the worse he is getting. I've sought advice from my GP who told me to ignore this behaviour. This does work to a certain extent. In that if he sees he's not getting attention, he tends to stop. But it had not stopped the frequency of the tantrums. So he will still do it.

And the tantrums in his cot are unbelievable. Banging his head of the cot, banging his legs, it's fairly bad. He lashes out at me, pulls my hair, scrapes, pinches.

Please can anyone advise? Am full of anxiety and terrified that I'm not doing the right thing.

Advertisement