Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arduino Airsoft bomb - Help needed

• 05-04-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Airsoft forums.
    I have started a project for my airsoft team,we have our own training grounds ect and we wanted a electronic bomb prop for our training nights.
    Just wondering does anyone have a link or info on how I would go about doing this?
    All we need is an LCD Timer display,arm button and keypad.
    When it goes off we just want a buzzer or siren to sound,nothing crazy

Iv seen the same thing on a few sites around the country so there are a few people who have done it before
    I was linked to this site but I have heard that people can no longer get this project to work http://www.instructables.com/id/Prop-bomb/?ALLSTEPS

Can someone give me an idea of what kind of arduino I will need and a rough price estimate?

ps-I have never used an arduino before but I have built smaller projects :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

To get it set up the easiest:

Arduino Uno
    1602 LCD with i2c backpack
    4x3 or 4x4 matrix keypad

All pretty cheap on ebay

Buzzer will depend on how loud you want it. How you want to power it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Chet T16 wrote: »
    To get it set up the easiest:

Arduino Uno
    1602 LCD with i2c backpack
    4x3 or 4x4 matrix keypad

All pretty cheap on ebay

Buzzer will depend on how loud you want it. How you want to power it?

Would love it to be battery powered,In Airsoft we use 8.4V NICD or 9.6V NIMH batterys wired with Tamiya or Deans connectors. Would it be possible to use that as the power source?
    We would also need it to be quite loud as the course we play on is very big :)
    Thanks for your help so far

That would power it all fine. The arduinos onboard regulator is more than up for the job of running the lcd and others and consumption wouldn't be too bad.

A piezo driven by the battery directly via mosfet would be quite loud.

Hi chet here is the basic layout that I plan to have,would this or something similar work with the uno?
    Would flipping the power to the arduino damage it if its in use? I need to make it so it can be disarmed by a defending team. Sorry for all the questions,you ahve been a great help so far :o

d373db3975c139011c3cfdcb57b84314.png

Sorry for the crude diagram :rolleyes:

You can cut the power without issue but might be better to have the big switch put it in a disarmed mode and a smaller power switch somewhere.

Why do you want to have an arm code?

• Advertisement

We want an arm code so we can do Intel training,for example
    A hostile has the disarm code,he must be captured and interogated for the code. then the team can disarm the bomb. It just adds extra realism to the game :)

Your diagram says you need the code to arm it, surely you want it the other way then?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Your diagram says you need the code to arm it, surely you want it the other way then?

Oh,ment to say Disarm,thanks for that. Yeah,it would need a code to disarm it :)

We would like to have it so that the people arming the bomb do so at the push of a button
    while the dis-armers must find the code,and disarm the device

That makes more sense! Although if TV has thought me anything you shouldn't have a way to disarm your bomb :p

• Advertisement

Hello once again lads,Just wondering if there would be anyone around Dublin willing to build one of these for me,I have the body of the prop chosen.
    I have looked into the arduino and it does look very simple,but I really want something special for the team and I don't think I can provide that with no Arduino or Small circuit experience.

I havn't got much but I would of course look after the builder for their troubles and of course pay for parts :)

What time frame are you thinking?

No exact time limit for when its done but we would be wanting it around June-July :)

I can help you out so, I'm just a bit busy in the short term.

Do you want to drop me a PM?

Sure mate,Sounds great! :)

Just thought id share the progress on the project :) Since its going to be used for training/Military Simulation purposes I tried to make it look as realistic as possible. Still have to make two more blocks of the fake explosives but I think its looking good. Arduino is in the post along with the other parts required.
    Really looking forward to this as its my first Arduino project ever.

Still a good bit of prop work to do like cutting the perspex cover and added more wires to the charge blocks but Rome wasn't built in a day :)
    If anyone has any input on how to improve my project please let me know,Just keep in mind its still in the VERY early stages :)

YfmR7b4.jpg

Disclaimer : This is simply going to be a toy for Airsoft Milsim purposes and is in no way a functional explosive device! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭whizbang

Needs some fake batteries, and fake wiring, for the

I would try to make it easily repairable, for when somebody rips it apart rather than disarm.
    not easy when you try to make it indestructible... but good luck, looks like a great project.

Oh, a big "SIMULATOR ONLY" sticker on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Looking good so far! :)

Small bit of progress on it today,Mounted a Perspex sheet to stop people playing with the prop part of the device. Making more prop explosive bricks tomorrow and going to add in loads of wiring to make it look cooler.
    Also added an old frosted bottle to make it look a bit more like a chemical weapon,made up a fake chemical name and used a labeling machine to stick the name on the side :)

Thanks for the Idea with the "simulator",can only imagine getting stopped at a checkpoint with this in the boot haha.

Also for those of you in the Electronics section who might not want to see this popping up in the threads list all the time I am limiting myself to 1 update every week after this :)

Is there anyone here with Arduino mega experince who I can look to if I am stuck on this project? Will be picking up the arduino tomorrow :)

Z22glAd.jpg
    uBQqQ5F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yeah - careful not to make it look too realistic :/ lots of airsoft decals maybe might help.

I liked the game mechanic of Counterstrike - someone deactivating the device must hold the button or whatever for quite a number of seconds, without getting shot, rather than just instant off - adds excitement acquiring enough cover from mates, rather than a rush to the off switch and allows enemy to set up an ambush.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 robbiezxc

Hi i just seen this thought i mite help out i make a control box to set off a model rocket but the code i made could help you out have a look at the youtube video (http://)youtu.be/UVdaIL4VKrc you will need to remote the ()

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dwarren

The Hive in Tallaght have a couple of these, you set the timer at the start, they can switch on the 'beeper' on at different settings (beeps every second, every second for the last minute only , beeps the number of minutes left every minute or no beeping at all)

To deactivate you hold the rd button down for 10 seconds.

I can't post a link, but if you look in the Hive's facebook page, in photos there is a small picture of the red briefcase one near the bottom.

They second one works the same, but they put it into a large wooden ammo box that 2 people carry, as the briefcase one keeps getting thrown/dropped

They also have 'king of the corner', 'number/keypad thingy' and capture the flag devices.
    PM sent

Advertisement