Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accept new job opportunity even though emigrating!!

Options
  • 05-04-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks,

I'm looking a bit of advice about a new job in my place of work. I due to leave Ireland for Canada in 2 months (mid-June) and I've worked in my current position for a year and a half. I have a PhD and am over-qualified for the role I am in at the moment. However, two new (same) positions have been advertised that would be suitable for me. Another reason I want to apply is because it would look great on my CV.

I haven't handed in my notice and my supervisor has talked to me about applying for this position. If I don't apply I will probably have to tell my supervisor that I am leaving, which I don't want to do because my next contract is up a month before I leave and I'm worried if I hand in my notice before then that they would not renew my contract. I should add that this is a large multinational company that aren't very concerned with individual workers on the bottom of the chain (although my supervisor is very nice)

It would have been fantastic if these jobs had of been advertised a few months ago and now I just don't know what to do. There is probably only 5 of us that are qualified for these new jobs and I probably stand a good chance as I'm the only with a PhD. They were initially going to advertise externally and internally but changed their minds against externally (perhaps due to strong internal interest by word of mouth).

I would love this job but is it very bad form to take the jobs and leave so soon and potentially cut my ties with this company in the future. Any opinions welcome!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're leaving in 8 weeks. Forget about it and let someone else take that opportunity.

What good is it on your CV if you only hold the position for less than two months?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ALF28 wrote: »
    Another reason I want to apply is because it would look great on my CV.
    <snip>
    I would love this job but is it very bad form to take the jobs and leave so soon and potentially cut my ties with this company in the future. Any opinions welcome!!
    Being in a job for two months and leaving may look like you didn't enjoy the job, and/or were let go. On the second point; screw around with the company, and I doubt you'll get a reference from them. If you get on well with your manager, say that you'll be emigrating in two months, and that you'd like to work up until the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ALF28

Hey MagicMarker, thanks for the input. The position I have now isn't great on my CV as it's completely unrelated to my PhD and any positions I am looking for abroad and this new position is. Therefore, I would have the advantage of being able to say I was promoted and have some experience. This is my first job after my PhD and basically it was all I could get. When I leave they will have to give the position to someone else but I get your point it would be better for that person if they could be given the position now rather than later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Hi folks,

I'm looking a bit of advice about a new job in my place of work. I due to leave Ireland for Canada in 2 months (mid-June) and I've worked in my current position for a year and a half. I have a PhD and am over-qualified for the role I am in at the moment. However, two new (same) positions have been advertised that would be suitable for me. Another reason I want to apply is because it would look great on my CV.

I haven't handed in my notice and my supervisor has talked to me about applying for this position. If I don't apply I will probably have to tell my supervisor that I am leaving, which I don't want to do because my next contract is up a month before I leave and I'm worried if I hand in my notice before then that they would not renew my contract. I should add that this is a large multinational company that aren't very concerned with individual workers on the bottom of the chain (although my supervisor is very nice)

It would have been fantastic if these jobs had of been advertised a few months ago and now I just don't know what to do. There is probably only 5 of us that are qualified for these new jobs and I probably stand a good chance as I'm the only with a PhD. They were initially going to advertise externally and internally but changed their minds against externally (perhaps due to strong internal interest by word of mouth).

Tough one. As you said these type of companies don't give a toss about you, and you are on temp contracts so they can cut you loose at any time. Likewise you can leave at any time. I would find a reason to not apply that doesn't sound bad. Is this new opportunity perm or another fixed term? You could just not apply and try not to give a reason but if pressed just say that while it sounds like a great opportunity it would only be attractive to you if it was permanent, and or just say that you are happy enough in your current position.

Or, just apply and hope you aren't offered it. But it would be worse to take it and then leave IMO. I would just not apply and say as little about it as possible.

I'm not too worried about the reference as my current team leader would definitely give me a great reference regardless. I considered telling them when I handed in my notice that I had been applying for jobs abroad and just got offered something, in other words let on that I only decided 100% to leave at the end of May. But this may not be very believable. I hadn't thought that it might look like I didn't like the new role!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

You can explain logical decisions in interviews. What might be called into question is your loyalty to a company. Most employers know that there is no loyalty.
    I have found honesty in interviews never dis-served me.
    For that reason, I believe you should take up the new position and then leave when you have to.

Thanks sligoface. Not saying anything isn't really an option because my supervisor already asked me was I applying and in a panic I said yes (stupid I know!!). It is a permanent role and more money. Also, I have made it clear since I began working there that this was the area of the company that I hoped to work and I was told that eventually something would come up there and I would be a strong candidate if it did. So I think it's either go for it or just let everyone know I'm leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It would be crazy to go for that job. I know you have a PhD but do you not realise that it takes at least 6 months to settle into a new job? Probably takes a full year to settle into a new job in a new company.

If I were you I would follow up the approach from my boss by informing him/her of my plans to emigrate. Be upfront. You might need a reference when looking for a job in Canada.

Regarding the contract, I find it difficult to see how you can not tell them that you are leaving. You might work it that you get to hand in your notice just after they renew your contract but is it worth it to leave with that issue in the background?

Go with whatever advice your boss gives you. You might find that the company still renew the contract for the remaining time that you are there and you get the chance to keep the door open in the company.

Btw, I worked for 3 multinationals plus public sector and I don't buy this not caring about employees at the bottom of the chain as a justification for you not doing what is right. At the end of the day they were a company that you wanted to join and would have stayed with had you not being emigrating. One company that I worked for treated many so us quite badly but, after I handed in my notice, I still worked as hard if not harder to ensure that the work was done and that my relationship ended in a good way. Life is too short and this country is too small to do anything else.

dixiefly wrote: »

Regarding the contract, I find it difficult to see how you can not tell them that you are leaving. You might work it that you get to hand in your notice just after they renew your contract but is it worth it to leave with that issue in the background?

I only need to give one weeks notice as I am on rolling 3 months contracts. Despite the fact that I am there a year and a half I still haven't even been offered a 6 month contract and I do get on well and work hard. So it may be wrong but I definitely don't feel like I owe them any more than a months notice.

I wrongly stated earlier that it was permanent and more money. I would eventually be but the company has a habit of promoting people but keeping them on their previous salary for in some cases 2 yrs+

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

I'd stay where you are until its time to move. I don't think two months experience on the C.V. will make much of a difference besides by the time you get the job it will be time for you to leave anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Apply. Hope that the process takes a while. Then when you get offered the job, take a day our two to consider it, and then go back and tell them that you've decided to decline and travel instead.

(Really evil option: Make them think it's their fault! If they hadn't offered the new jobs, you would have been happy cruising where you were. Because they did, it got you thinking about what you want to do next ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Apply. Hope that the process takes a while. Then when you get offered the job, take a day our two to consider it, and then go back and tell them that you've decided to decline and travel instead.

I like this option, since you've already said you would apply.

If the position isn't permanent than no way should you feel bad about turning it down or leaving it to take another option. If the economy was better here than companies would not be able to risk losing good employees who they string along with rolling temp contracts. I had the same in my last job which meant I couldn't even get a car to travel back and forth because I had no job security, and had to accept having my shift change from 8 hr days to 12 hr nights or lose my job.

This isn't a bad idea. I will submit the application and I can always change my mind even before the interview. In the meantime I can check for sure that it's not permanent if it turns out it is, I will turn it down. If I do take it I will give them 3 weeks notice (as in one month before I travel), even though I only owe them one week. Hopefully, they will buy that my boyfriend got offered a job in Canada.

I am worried about cutting my ties with the company because you never know how things can work out, I could end up back in Ireland in a couple of years from now looking for a job.

As sligoface said so many companies are doing this, since I began working there they have hired 10+ people most in my area and all are on temp contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Funny Feeling

There is no point in applying if you are leaving...Have you really looked into what kind of opportunities you will have in Canada?? That your qualifications will get you a job even remotely related to your field and you won’t be working as a temp or in a bar....

If you just want to get out of here and travel, experience new things and have a laugh then go for it. Having lived in Canada for 3 years, I met so many people who could not get jobs that they were qualified for and had experience in. It is not impossible but it can be hard…I had a great job..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - I'd be more interested in applying for jobs in Canada now, and leave the Irish job well enough alone.

Do your research - email companies and agencies etc and do some of the ground work now. It'll make it easier when you move.

E.g. if you can get home by 6pm, you could Skype agencies & employers etc in Canada for a couple of hours each evening.

IMO this would be far better use of your time.

Having a 6 week promotion on your CV will confuse employers in Canada - not what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'm a bit confused - do you have to go to Canda or something?

If you get job can you not just stay here and do job?

It seems to me like it is a simple choice - get job or else go to Canada.

There is no point in applying if you are leaving...Have you really looked into what kind of opportunities you will have in Canada?? That your qualifications will get you a job even remotely related to your field and you won’t be working as a temp or in a bar....

I have a good few contacts via the lab I did my PhD in. They work in collaboration with labs worldwide so getting into a research post might not be a problem. I have already started looking into these contacts. So fingerscrossed and thanks :-)

I'm a bit confused - do you have to go to Canda or something?

If you get job can you not just stay here and do job?

I want to go it's something I have planned to do for the last year. Although I would like this jobs it's not enough to keep me here.
    blindsider wrote: »
    OP - I'd be more interested in applying for jobs in Canada now, and leave the Irish job well enough alone.

Do your research - email companies and agencies etc and do some of the ground work now. It'll make it easier when you move.

This makes sense, I have spent a lot of time lately doing research on jobs, contacting agencies and tailoring cover letters etc. The application process for this new jobs and indeed the job itself if I got it, would undoubtedly take away from my time and concentration on the move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I want to go it's something I have planned to do for the last year. Although I would like this jobs it's not enough to keep me here.

This makes sense, I have spent a lot of time lately doing research on jobs, contacting agencies and tailoring cover letters etc. The application process for this new jobs and indeed the job itself if I got it, would undoubtedly take away from my time and concentration on the move

Not to be smartass but off to Canada so and enjoy!

Not to be smartass but off to Canada so and enjoy!

I told my manager today that I'm not applying for the jobs because I plan to leave in a few months. He was very understanding and thanked me for my honesty. He even said complimented me on how I've performed there and told me that by leaving on such a good note it will leave the door open for me to come back if I ever wanted in a few years as the job I wanted is an area of the business that will be expanding over the next few years. He also offered to give me a reference. The contract issue was something I worried about completely needlessly too as they said they will work around me and I just told him that I'd let them know I've my flights booked.

So thanks everyone for the advice :-) A weight has been lifted and I can finally just be open with everyone in work about leaving.

Now the jobs hunt continues!!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement