Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interference on phone line effecting broadband - can I request Eircom re-run new shei

Options
  • 05-04-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    From the mouth of an Eircom technician I have RF interfere on the line between the Eircom telephone pole and my house. While they tried to ID the source of the interference we can't be 100% sure of the source. 

They stated;
    • no issue causing RF interference within my house
    • no issue on the telephone pole, no RF interference noticed and broadband connectivity at pole 100%
    • issue is RF interference by something across the 100m run from telephone pole to house

The suggest that come up after the technician left was to have Eircom re-run the phone line (only installed in November last year, 100m through underground duct), changing it from being a 4 pair unshielded cable to be a 4 pair shielded cable.

If possible and if so, how do I request it.

Cheers,
    Kerb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What sort of a genesis thought it would be a good idea to run an unshielded cable across a few poles and into your house?

I'd imagine a few of the amateur radio guys would love a set up like that.

It's their responsibility, technically they used the incorrect medium and they are charging you rent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

kub wrote: »
    What sort of a genesis thought it would be a good idea to run an unshielded cable across a few poles and into your house?
    Per my original post, the cable to my house from the Eircom pole is run via underground ducting.
    kub wrote: »
    It's their responsibility, technically they used the incorrect medium and they are charging you rent for it.
    Do the specs for what should be ran live online? Would be nice to know what officially should be ran by Eircom as what's there *might* be the standard spec cable or might not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Hi,
    From the mouth of an Eircom technician I have RF interfere on the line between the Eircom telephone pole and my house. While they tried to ID the source of the interference we can't be 100% sure of the source. 

They stated;
    • no issue on the telephone pole, no RF interference noticed and broadband connectivity at pole 100%
    • issue is RF interference by something across the 100m run from telephone pole to house

[*]

The suggest that come up after the technician left was to have Eircom re-run the phone line (only installed in November last year, 100m through underground duct), changing it from being a 4 pair unshielded cable to be a 4 pair shielded cable.

Cheers,
    Kerb
    [*]
    Hi KeRbDoG
    you should ring our 1901 customer care section and they can arrange this for you. If you have any trouble in getting this arranged just let us know here.
    Tony.

Hi,

They stated;

[*]

Cheers,
    Kerb

[*]
    Hi KeRbDoG
    you should ring our 1901 customer care section and they can arrange this for you. If you have any trouble in getting this arranged just let us know here.
    Tony.
    [*]
    So the request is indeed possible? Super, will call them today so

Hi Tony - I called customer support today and he checked with colleagues and suggested I would need to do it myself? seems like I'm having trouble in getting this arranged. Can you help further?

• Advertisement

Hi Tony - I called customer support today and he checked with colleagues and suggested I would need to do it myself? seems like I'm having trouble in getting this arranged. Can you help further?
    That is a possibility KeRbDoG, if underground ducting is on private property and was installed by private contractor. Can you PM me your line number and I can look up case to see which tech crew you were speaking with. They can advise if this is something they can do.
    Tony

That is a possibility KeRbDoG, if underground ducting is on private property and was installed by private contractor. Can you PM me your line number and I can look up case to see which tech crew you were speaking with. They can advise if this is something they can do.
    Tony

PM'd

Thanks a lot.

I'll get back to you soon.

Tony

Hi Tony,
    I know it's only been a day, but might you have any updates on this request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Tony,
    I know it's only been a day, but might you have any updates on this request?
    Hi KeRbDoG

Tony is not available today but I'll chase this up with him tomorrow and get back to you then.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan

Thanks Alan
    No worries KerRnDoG

No worries KerRnDoG

Hi again, any update?

No worries KerRnDoG

Hi again, any update?
    Hi KeRbDoG

I'll follow this up with Tony today and get back to you as soon as I have an update

Thanks
    Al

Hi again Alan,
    Just following up again on this - any update?

Advertisement