Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC having problems shutting down and powering on

Options
  • 05-04-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Here's one problem that can't be solved by switching it on and off ;) Really hoping someone has seen or heard of this issue before.

My PCs is having problems in both shutting down and powering on. When I go to shut it down it ofter restarts instead meaning might have to try it a 2nd or 3rd time. Sometimes it almost shuts down; windows shuts down, screen goes black but the fans all stay on and doesn't quite shut down.

As annoying as that is powering it on is even worse as I press the power on button and there's just no life in it. At first I thought there was obviously a power supply issue but when I opened it up I could see the all the LEDs on the mobo were still lighting up so I knew the power was getting through. I then checked to see if the power on wire had come loose. I thought it might also be the PSU failing but its a relatively new high quality Corsair AX 850. The way I've been getting the PC to start is by holding the power on for about 10 seconds (while the PC is off) and then turning it on again that normally but not always does it. Leaving it unplugged at night also seems to help.

I have tried to resolve this myself but the tips and advice pages I've found all suggest the typical things to check for when your PC doesn't start which haven't helped. I also went and got the latest version of every driver for the mobo and everything else - no joy. Once the PC is up and running its absolutely fine by the way its just getting it to turn on.

It's a pretty high spec recently built PC running windows 7 64bit
    Spec:
    • Asus Maximus VI mobo
    • i5 4670k
    • Asus gtx 780
    • Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz RAM
    • AX 850 PSU
    • 2 x OCZ Vertex4 128gb SSD
    Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Has this always been the case, or is it something that just started to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Just started but its been ongoing for over a month.

I imagine this is probably not Windows but hardware related because you seem to have problems booting/posting as well as shutting down. If you flick the switch on the mains does it affect the behaviour? Also, if you leave the mains power off and hold the power on button on the case it will drain the capacitors on the motherboard. Then turn the mains power on and try to boot. Does it behave any differently?

Have to head out now but you could try burning a boot CD of Ubuntu and live booting it to see if it shuts down properly. If it did this would indicate two problems, one being Windows.

EDIT: You could also try putting the system to sleep. Does it stop spinning fans etc? Does it successfully resume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Disable sleep, Hybrid sleep, hibernatation in windows, and try again.

most likely its not properly going into sleep mode, this causes it not to restart properly.
    Seems to be an common issue with older HP laptops on Win7. Sometimes cured by a RAM option switch somewhere.

Yes it doesn't wake from sleep mode properly will try that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Check for registry errors with a registry cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

THIS happened on my pc, running windows xp.
    i Backed up my data, and reinstalled the os.
    AND it shut down, and booted up as normal.
    Try a linux live cd, to make sure its not a hardware problem.
    MINT linux 32bit version 7 fits on 1 cdr disk.

I think you have probably one of two problems. Either your motherboard is bad, or your PSU is bad. I think it is probably your motherboard as your PSU is able to power the system without problems, at least once it is up and running. It is possible the motherboard could be updated by upgrading the BIOS, and you can probably download an application from the manufacturers website to update it within Windows. I don't believe this is the problem but it it worth doing anyway. Just make sure you turn off anti virus when you do it.

You could also remove the motherboard from the case and try it boot it. It could be a short as a consequence of the motherboard touching a extra metal stand off or something. Probably not though. At this point I suggest you try the PSU in another system to rule is out, or try another PSU in this system. If the PSU works in another system, I would RMA the motherboard. If another PSU works in this system then RMA the PSU.

EDIT: If the CPU is overclocked, set it to stock speeds. Especially before you update the BIOS.

i,ve seen pcs which would not shut down, before,
    in the case where the pc had a virus.NOT all security updates,or antivirus updates were downloaded.
    IF I could not delete the virus , i would reinstall windows ,and pc would work fine,
    i think its unlikely to be a hardware problem.
    is the drive full,windows needs about 2gig free space to work properly.

download ,run ccleaner free it gets rid of old temporary files,frees up space on drive.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

unclick cookies clean delete in CCleaner menu, untick box,cookies,
    Before you click run, clean pc
    .if you want to holdon to user name , login details, user info for websites you visit frequently.
    EG Username ,password info,

I THINK its unlikely this is a hardware fault,
    maybe run a live cd linux,see does it run normally.
    LIVE CD BOOTS OS FROM CDR, does not touch the hardrive.

I think you have probably one of two problems. Either your motherboard is bad, or your PSU is bad.
    That was my initial thought too. So I went and updated every driver for the mobo and got the latest BIOS and it didn't resolve the issue. The fact that it was also not shutting down properly led me to believe it was something else.

I've tried disabling the sleep and hibernate options on the PC and so far it has shut down and powered up correctly once so far so that's promising. But I do like to use sleep mode quite a bit :(

Will try the other suggestions mentioned. Thanks guys

• Advertisement

in MANY cases,i have seen this problem,
    it was caused by virus,es or malware on the pc,
    do a full virus scan, do a virus scan online.
    Avast is the best antivirus to use ,its free .
    IF you cant find the virus, a windows reinstall will be necessary to get the pc to
    normal booting ,shutdown mode.
    A Virus, can delete windows files , which are needed for normal shutdown and bootup.
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
    50meg file,
    burn image file using free program, IMgburn , burn image speed options settings, at2x.
    see does pc boot ,shutdown using this damn small linux , livecd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Some more ideas..

Delete hiberfil.sys from C:\. This may be corrupted. windows will generate a new one which may work.

Go into all your devices, and prevent device from waking your computer, disable prevent sleep.

Go deep into ALL your power settings, make sure sleep and hibernate are not set to do both at the same time!
    - a machine has to wake from sleep to go into hibernation.

Check windows logs for problems, specifically any boot delays.

Advertisement