Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to bulk up

Options
  • 05-04-2014 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

My knowledge of fitness is amateur at best, but I've done some research.

I'm going to give you some figures and I'm hoping someone can make sense of them and give advice as to when to start bulking up. I'm currently at the cutting stage.

Height 5' 9"
    Weight 164 pounds
    BMI = 24.2 (I'd like to think this isn't a great indicator after all my hard work)

Body fat measurements.

Electric scales 21% BF (again hoping this isn't great indicator)

Using Body Fat Caliper ....

Jackson Pollock 7 site - 13.7%
    Jackson Pollock 3 site - 11.62%
    Durnin Wormsley 4 site - 20.43%

I've done some very quick reading and it looks like the D&W method can be 123% over estimating body fat, but that was a study done on Athletes. The same study has the JP 3 site method underestimating with 89% accuracy.

Recalculating this would give 13.06% for JP 3 site and 16.61% for D&W.

Of course I could be reading the calipers wrong too :-(

Some subjective information. When I'm standing in front of a mirror I can see quite good definition in the ab area, but when I lie on my back that completely goes. With this in mind I'm leaning more towards the 16-20% body fat calculation.

I've been maintaining weight training during the cutting stage, some muscle development, but not much, as to be expected (possibly just more definition as weight lost)

So, I'd like to know what BF% is it recommended to start bulking? Is it as low as 10-12% BF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

You might want to post this on the main H+F forum instead of the logs for more visibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You might want to post this on the main H+F forum instead of the logs for more visibility.

Searched for fitness and came here. But, on reflection I think you might be right. A generous mod might oblige. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Using a calipers on yourself to measure bodyfat isn't a great indicator.
    They reckon most people are pretty inconsistent until they have measured at least 100 people or even more. Two different PT's with varying experience could give you completely different readings which has happened me in the past.

What is your lifting experience? What do your max lifts look like etc?
    If you are just starting out, then don't focus on it too much. Focus on performance and getting stronger and good form/technique. Once your lifts are strong etc, you can start focusing more on body composition. That's my take on it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

colman1212 wrote: »
    Using a calipers on yourself to measure bodyfat isn't a great indicator.
    They reckon most people are pretty inconsistent until they have measured at least 100 people or even more. Two different PT's with varying experience could give you completely different readings which has happened me in the past.

What is your lifting experience? What do your max lifts look like etc?
    If you are just starting out, then don't focus on it too much. Focus on performance and getting stronger and good form/technique. Once your lifts are strong etc, you can start focusing more on body composition. That's my take on it anyways.

Thanks

Lifts - press (lifting barbell overhead) is at limit of weights I have at 44 kg.

I'm more interested in definition rather than being able to lift maximum weights though.

I'm following a cut then bulk plan to minimise fat gain when bulking. There's an optimum fat level before starting to bulk, but it's not easy to know when to bulk when you get different readings.

New one for consideration. Using tape measure technique I'd be 15.5% BF.

I also need to become more familiar with lifting terms. :o I am in a gym but I'm leaving that subscription lapse and use my weights at home, just need to get more. I only used the machines at the gym.

Advertisement