Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple guide to streaming ? please

• 05-04-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am more active on the Blu-ray recorders section of this site.Can anyone here point me to a simple guide for streaming? My laptop can see all my folders on my nas drive but both my WDLive media box and my smart tv can only see the one file. I think if I can learn streaming I might be able to watch all files on my tv. I tried Goggling but got bogged down. I am a pensioner so be easy on me. TMULL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

What NAS have you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

Buffalo linkstation. My problem is that my son set up five folders on the drive for me .With the help of a member here I have managed to transfer my files from my DNLA enabled recorder to my laptop and from my laptop into the folders on the laptop. I can see all files on the laptop but only the one file on both my WDLive media box and my smart tv. That is the file with my films on it but I have loads of music ,mostly classical concerts saved,on a diffrent folder, that I want to watch on my tv. Any help greatly received.TMULL

Ok, I assume you have windows running on the laptop.

Have you set up sharing on the folders in windows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fu0LtdVmGw

I am not too sure but I shall study your link and report back. Thank you for your input. TMULL

No problem - hope it works

• Advertisement

Just read the link. Will play around with it this evening as I have a medical appointment now. Can I come back to you this evening or tomorrow morning? Thank you, TMULL

No problem, I`ll get an email notification on my phone so should be able to help you later

Superleedsdub, I have done that and did manage to drag a file into the folder I set up.Can see that file ok.More please, if you can. TMULL

Hi Tmull,

Did you try setting up sharing on your existing folders, where the files you wish to share are currently located?
    Or could you copy/move the files to the new shared folder you created?

Superleedsdub, Yes I have managed to get files into that new folder.I was speaking to a classmate of my grandson as I did a school-run and he suggested that if my tv and media player can see only one folder from the Nas drive why did I not try and drag the folder with my music across and drop it into the one seen on the tv and have access to all files. I attempted to do that but as it started it said it would take three and a half hours.I cancelled the attempt in fear I would lose the lot. I am now about to try one file at a time this evening and let you know how I get on. I would appreciate your opinion on the drag and drop method? Should it work? TMULL

• Advertisement

Hi Tmull,

If all these files are stored on the NAS, you may need to check the manual to see how to set up shared folders on the NAS itself. I know that for my synology NAS I have to log into via a web browser and change the settings on my folders in order to share them over my network.

I found this video online that may help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqaSdyAc0g

Superleedsdub, That is an interesting link. That is what I am trying to achieve. I also found the other Youtube posts on that page very informative. I did not get a printed manual for my Buffalo when I bought it last year but was directed to an online one. I have now transferred it to a usb stick and going to get a computer shop to print it out for me.Also I am making a little bit of progress in that I have transferred one file as I explained in my last post and I can find it on my tv.I shall do more reading of the manual and study your links to get to where I want to be.My initial problem was I did not know just where to start,but you have helped me on my way. Thanks again for taking the time to help. TMULL

Advertisement