Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on the access facebook requires to install on Android

Options
  • 05-04-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

They want access to your call log, to see you text messages etc. etc.

It's really weird - I use facebook, I almost feel I have to - I want it in my life. These requirements to install seem extremely odd. Is there a way to install the app without giving it this kind of access?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Generally the permissions are there for specific functions that you may not even use. The text message one is to that it can grab a confirmation text from Facebook itself when you want to verify your phone number.
    If you're rooted you can use AppOpsXposed to disable any permissions, but don't be surprised if the app crashes a lot afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

maki wrote: »
    Generally the permissions are there for specific functions that you may not even use. The text message one is to that it can grab a confirmation text from Facebook itself when you want to verify your phone number.
    If you're rooted you can use AppOpsXposed to disable any permissions, but don't be surprised if the app crashes a lot afterwards.

Thanks. I've read about rooting before but never really understood why someone would need to do it. Is it because you can get these types of apps?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

For the average user it's probably more trouble than it's worth, because you can soft-brick your phone easily enough if you're not careful. But plenty of apps I use require write access to the Android system, which isn't possible without root access.

Advertisement