Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Pronounciation

• 05-04-2014 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Have my oral monday and pronounciation is really letting me down! Has anyone got any tips?

tranquille = trong kee(l)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

General rules that you probably know already are like:

Don't pronounce the last consonant (I found this one just natural and easy to do but I used to ALWAYS pronounce the 's' in 'dans' so be careful with that one:p)

words that end in 'aille' are pronounced 'eye' and words ending in 'eille' are pronounces 'ay'

and be clear when pronouncing your verbs so they know exactly what tense you are using for example when saying I would prefer 'je préférerais' is pronounced 'pre-fer-er-ais'. Commonly pronounced incorrectly. And say the 'j'ai' in for example 'j'ai fait' very clearly so it is not mistaken for 'je fait'.

Oh and the one that a lot of people seem to forget is the liaisons so 'je suis allé(e)' is pronounced 'je sweesallay' like one word rather than two separate words and 'mes amis' is 'mesamee' an so on...

ehm if you're stuck on any just use google translate and hear it yourself it's pretty handy.

Advertisement