Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honeywell Inflatable

• 05-04-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info on an inflatable i have owned for a little over 4 years now....

Its an Honeywell inflatable... Aprox 6 - 8 metres in length...

I picked it up from a french friend who does a lot of fishing here in Ireland...

Its obvious that this inflatable is old, I approximate between 30 - 20 years old...

The amazing thing the quality of the boat, its got a marine ply insert for standing which has been changed but the quality timber beams holding the marine ply in place are the originals...

The actual rubber on the inflatable is of the highest standard....

I have researched the inflatable for some time to no avail..

They don't seem to be on sale anywhere...

Honeywell is one of the biggest companies in the world and there main business is selling warfare instruments all over the world...

The only bit of info i have on the boat is that it was used in the royal marine force..

I would love more info on the boat as i am thinking of selling on eBay...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Is the name Honeywell on the valves as I think they were used on a few inflatables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

fergal.b wrote: »
    Is the name Honeywell on the valves as I think they were used on a few inflatables.

Very good point never taught of that... Most do more checking out, it does say honeywell on the valves...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Very good point never taught of that... Most do more checking out, it does say honeywell on the valves...

Honeywell & leafield used to make them then they split and leafield became leafield Marine http://www.leafieldmarine.co.uk/

Honeywell & leafield used to make them then they split and leafield became leafield Marine http://www.leafieldmarine.co.uk/

What about the rib itself? What you think??

You seem to know your stuff!!!

danbrosnan wrote: »
    What about the rib itself? What you think??

You seem to know your stuff!!!

Not so much on ribs :) Maybe a Zodiac fc470 as some of them have a flap with eyelets.

workboat_465.png

• Advertisement

Had a good look today at the rib, all the valves are honeywell...]

There is no other name on the boat, is it likely it could be a homemade rib?

It could be, you can buy all the parts including the tubes easy enough also the board across the bow doesn't look like it was factory fitted. There are also a few rib makers that will build one to your spec with extra pockets or what ever you need so maybe it was commissioned by the army or navy.

It could be, you can buy all the parts including the tubes easy enough also the board across the bow doesn't look like it was factory fitted. There are also a few rib makers that will build one to your spec with extra pockets or what ever you need so maybe it was commissioned by the army or navy.

The board across the bow was put in after as the original wooden board had rotten... I don't know what the story is with the rib... It is a mystery..

Try posting it on Ribnet one of those guy's might know what she is. http://www.rib.net/forum/

Try posting it on Ribnet one of those guy's might know what she is. http://www.rib.net/forum/

Thanks fergal your a star..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

The fact that it has lasted so long and that its ex-MOD would suggest to me that its an Avon inflatable. Avon would have been one of the largest RIB / inflatable manufacturers up until the last few years until they were bought by Zodiac.

It should have a plate giving suggested engine power, weight, manufacturer etc. I take it that you have looked for that and its not present.

I think that the tube material is hypalon. This is the reason the inflatable has lasted so well. More modern inflatables are made from polyurethane which is cheaper and not as durable. Also polyurethane tubes can degrade due to UV if not covered.

Advertisement