Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinteer

Options
  • 05-04-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a mum looking to move from Kildare back to Dublin to ballinteer... I've a 5 yr old and 3 yr old, is this much of a family area?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very much a family area. National schools, secondary schools, huge suburban park, shops etc. The demise of the 48a is a considerable blow, but there are many other less convenient public transport options. Rush hour traffic can be an issue, but the CC are reportedly working on the Ballinteer road issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Very much a family area. National schools, secondary schools, huge suburban park, shops etc. The demise of the 48a is a considerable blow, but there are many other less convenient public transport options. Rush hour traffic can be an issue, but the CC are reportedly working on the Ballinteer road issues.

Given that very few people were using the 48a once the LUAS started, I'm not sure that is the case. The fact that the 14 was generally faster than the 48a also reduces that argument too. Added to that, apart from the eastern part of Milltown, there is not really anywhere that you can't get to easily on the old 48a route by switching to the LUAS.

Depending upon where you choose to live in Ballinteer you have the choice of the following buses:

16 to the city (every 10-20 minutes)
    14 to the city or Dundrum (every 10-20 minutes during the week)
    75 to Tallaght or Dun Laoghaire (every 30 minutes)
    116 to the city via Stillorgan (one per day - serves gaelscoileanna on the Stillorgan Road)

You can also use the 14 and 75 to connect with the LUAS in Dundrum if you don't fancy the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nlmaccarthy

Thanks all, I grew up in Stillorgan so know the area well. I should have been more specific & asked about meeting other families as everyone I would have known have moved away, is there a good neighbourly community feel? I'd be ballinteer drive/ avenue area

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given that very few people were using the 48a once the LUAS started, I'm not sure that is the case. The fact that the 14 was generally faster than the 48a also reduces that argument too.

Depending upon where you choose to live you have the choice of the following buses:

16 to the city (every 10-20 minutes)
    14 to the city or Dundrum (every 10-20 minutes during the week)
    75 to Tallaght or Dun Laoghaire (every 30 minutes)
    116 to the city via Stillorgan (one per day - serves gaelscoileanna on the Stillorgan Road)

You can also use the 14 and 75 to connect with the LUAS in Dundrum if you don't fancy the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well then you're close enough to the 16 to have it as an option in addition to the other buses, and you can still walk down to the LUAS if you want (about 20-25 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks all, I grew up in Stillorgan so know the area well. I should have been more specific & asked about meeting other families as everyone I would have known have moved away, is there a good neighbourly community feel? I'd be ballinteer drive/ avenue area

Its a very friendly neighbourly area. If your kids go to one of the local schools, you will find it easy to make friends with other families of kids in their class and if you make a small effort to get involved, you will make friends yourself.

Good luck with your move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

With kids of that age, you'd have no problems making friends through the school and neighbours etc.

Ballyroan library has also undergone massive renovation and there are tonnes of activities there every week - toddler mornings, reading (I think Tuesdays at 3.30pm) where you could meet other mums. Also Meadowbrook leisure centre is a brilliant amenity with their baby swims etc. I often lost an hour in the pool chatting away to other mums.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sennis

Absolutely! We moved here last year with a 2 and 5 year old and there area is perfect!

uote="nlmaccarthy;89796859"]Hi, I'm a mum looking to move from Kildare back to Dublin to ballinteer... I've a 5 yr old and 3 yr old, is this much of a family area?
    Thanks[/quote]

Advertisement