Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering

Options
  • 05-04-2014 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I watched a documentary on ch4 during the week about children in care in the UK & it got me to thinking about fostering. Can anyone give me some info about the process of applying & the time frames involved? I'm searching online here but not finding much practical info. Can you choose to have a short term placement or can you choose age group?

I have 2 children under 3 myself would that be seen as a positive or negative? I'm a stay at home mum, married. Just would like to get a feel for the process involved, I don't plan on having anymore children of my own but would love to offer a child a home, although would worry about getting attached, I suppose that's the main drawback of fostering? Any info from other foster parents appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few different foster agencies in Ireland,some favour the private ones the 24 hour support.
    Personally I have no experience but it is an area that I am interested in when my kids are older.
    I can not remember the age requirements for your own kids but there is one and fostered children need their own bedroom.
    http://www.fosteringfirstireland.ie/
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/adoption_and_fostering/fostering.html
    http://www.orchardchildrensservices.ie/who-can-foster.html

There are a few posters here that are foster parents and will be able to give you a better insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

I am not a foster parent but It's something I'd be interested in looking into in the future.
    I'm a primary teacher and have seen how much of a need there is for foster placements. The services are under serious pressure. I'd imagine if you met the criteria, you could specify the type of placement and age (I think I read that they recommend there be at least two years between your own children and children you'd foster. I forget where I read that though)
    I think fostering would be very tough emotionally but so rewarding and it's so, so important. Good luck if you go for it!

Also, something I've come across this year is 'respite' care for a few nights a week (or whatever is necessary). Two children I teach are thriving in this type of care, but their circumstances are completely different. I suppose it's less traumatic for the child as they're not away from their parents for too long at a time and it seems to be one way of helping situations before they get too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi

I,m a mum of three 11,8 and 5 and myself and my husband recently completed the fostering assignment process. We were approved. The c4 documentary 15000 started the evening we were told we had been approved, so was even more poignant. We just had our first placement for two beautiful girl. I,ll happily answer any questions about the process as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nathughes

Bowsiemum wrote: »
    Hi

I,m a mum of three 11,8 and 5 and myself and my husband recently completed the fostering assignment process. We were approved. The c4 documentary 15000 started the evening we were told we had been approved, so was even more poignant. We just had our first placement for two beautiful girl. I,ll happily answer any questions about the process as best I can.

Hi

I was wondering what your first placement was like. Was it just a weekend thing or longer?? I would love to do it but i would prefer an older child or teenager to be honest as i have experience working with this age group and i feel that age is even more neglected as everyone wants the cute baby. I would love to know how it went for you.

Nat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi Nat,
    As I posted in your other thread, why not get in touch with your local TUSLA office and ask them?

http://www.tusla.ie/services/child-protection-welfare/contact-a-social-worker/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Nice Money aswel. €356 per child each week + lots of other benefits. I know someone fostering 4 children at the moment. That's over €1400 week Tax free 😉+500 childrens allowance monthly

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Nice Money aswel. €356 per child each week + lots of other benefits. I know someone fostering 4 children at the moment. That's over €1400 week Tax free 😉+500 childrens allowance monthly

There is usually a limit of 3 children that any one person/family can foster. However, as you have spotted, there are some exceptions. They are very unusual though.
    If you divide the rate that foster carers get paid by the hours they are responsible for that child ie 24/7 then it's about €2 an hour. You don't do it for the money, trust me!

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think I read somewhere when looking in to it before that it is preferable to foster children younger than your own children. I think it's because you don't know what problems the child might bring with them, and if they are older than your own children they might be in a position of dominance over them.

I only know of a couple of families who foster, and the children have always been younger. One family who have two older teenage girls of their own and are fostering two brothers long term who are 8-10 years younger.

I believe the policy now is that there should be at least two years between your youngest and the oldest foster child. This is to mirror how it is in most normal families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread is a year old and you drag it up to comment on how 'nice' the money is when you're fostering. Well done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement