Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce in Ucd

Options
  • 05-04-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hey guys,
    just curious as to the maths in the commerce degree as i only did ordinary and achieved a b1 with minimal work, is it hard to pass and do well? also how do you think the points will go for it this year?
    thanks a million for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

xxniamhyxx wrote: »
    hey guys,
    just curious as to the maths in the commerce degree as i only did ordinary and achieved a b1 with minimal work, is it hard to pass and do well? also how do you think the points will go for it this year?
    thanks a million for your help.

You have to do Maths for Business in semester one of first year. It's dreadfully easy and you should be able to get a B regardless of what level you did for the leaving cert.

There's an option module in second year called Quantitative methods in Business (I think). It's quite challenging for a lot of students and is generally avoided for something handier.

You should be okay though, the accounting modules are just adding and subtracting with a little big of multiplication thrown in at the same time.

As for points, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

There's 4 modules which involve maths which you must do. Maths for Business, Principles of Finance, Data Analysis, and Business Analytics.

Maths for Business is very easy. Data Analysis is statistics based and some struggle with it. Business Analytics is the next module building on Data Analysis and again some struggle with it, the common theme for this being from what I saw people weren't doing the work for both modules. Principles of Finance the maths are very easy and when I did the module the tutors always uploaded several different questions and their solutions meaning the questions on the paper were simply a case of swapping in different figures into simple formulas.

Long story short is if you do the work (of which much isn't required) you can get Bs in all of the modules easy enough. If you don't do the work, you'll end up with Cs and Ds, potentially even failing some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xxniamhyxx

Thanks a million for your reply, as a matter of interest, how did you find the course? is it valued by employers? was it hard for you to find employment with the degree?
    thanks again for your help

If you get a 2.1 average throughout your degree, get involved in societies and sports clubs etc you'll have plenty of opportunities at the end. If you float through college not getting involved and only get poor grades, you'll struggle to find a job. It's what you make of it basically.

The Big 4 accountancy firms, Big 6 law firms, Bulge Bracket Investment Banks (Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan etc), Strategy Consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG) and top tech firms (Linkedin, Google, Facebook etc) all recruit on campus. It is seen as a very good degree by employers and Quinn school is generally highly regarded.

So basically the long story short is if you work hard while you're in Quinn and make sure you get involved you'll have plenty of job prospects before graduating, if you're lazy you'll have very few to none. Those who do get involved and make most of their time, in the vast majority of cases have job offers waiting for them at the end of their degree. Those that do internships often have job offers for after graduation before they even start final year. Commerce has an option of applying to a year long internship in about 10-15 different companies and most of these internship placements lead to full time offers. It certainly makes a massive difference to your enjoyment of final year when you don't have to go looking for a job.

can you do language modules in the commerce degree or is that only available to commerce international students?

• Advertisement

Through the elective system you can do language modules. Every semester you have the option choosing 1 module from outside your course and generally there's no problem finding a place in the language modules. The only thing is you wont get any type of certification or similar recognizing that you've studied a language if that's what your after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Well, if you study at least 3 of the Stage 2 language modules through arts you do get a structured elective recognizing that, but they're probably not elective material.

I know several people who studied Commerce International and struggled with the language element of it. Taking into account that second year of Commerce counts for 30% of your degree, I'd be very wary of studying language modules as an elective unless you're very good at them.

on the social aspect of the course, is it hard to get to know people? ive heard a lot of people saying bad things about getting to know new people in ucd

Again it's entirely what you make of it. From what I can see of the people I know in UCD who have few friends it is in most cases down to a lack of involvement or effort on their own behalf. They generally end up in the circular thought of I don't know people, so I wont go to college, and therefore continue not to know people. If you get involved in clubs, societies, and go on the course nights out you'll get to know plenty of people.

Thankfully Commerce places an emphasis on group work so you'll get to know plenty of people in your course quickly. The semester 1 Commerce modules Business in Society, Inside Organisations, and Effective Learning & Development all include group projects while the modules Maths for Business and Data Analysis both have weekly tutorials where you'll often be encouraged to help each other. Basically if you make the effort to make friends, you will make many. If you fall into the mindset of "I don't know anybody, so I wont go" or something similar, you'll have a lonely 3 years. Due to the layout of Quinn School, once you get to know people in your course it always very easy to find someone who is in as they'll generally be in 1 of the 3 study areas or Starbucks.

• Advertisement

just as a matter of interest, where did some of your year end up? as in what are they working as nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I don't understand why Irish unis are so bad at giving data and statistics compared with UK and US unis.

Anyway, here's the most recent graduate destinations statistics I could find, but maybe you may have more success. They relate to 2007, and quite a lot has happened with regard to employment since then ;)

These are more recent, and might interest: TCD BESS and UCC Commerce

Advertisement