Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with an excel problem

Options
  • 05-04-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

I'm using Excel for mac, so I'm not sure if this is a specific bug or not, but I'm trying to multiply a number in one cell by a currency figure in another & output the result to a third. Seems simple, either "Product (B3:B5)" or "=B3*B5", but both are resulting in "#VALUE!" being displayed in the cell instead.

I can do it in pages & export to excel, but that doesn't export the function, just the result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

It worked in my laptop anyway so it might be a problem with your software! Are you using currency or accounting to get the money symbol?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

tried both Amanda. strangely I'm having the same issue with google sheets, so it doesn't seem specific to excel for mac anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Maybe its your laptop, you should be able to click and see why its not working! Its all working for me anyway. Sorry i cant help tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

The euro sign may be typed in rather than appear via formatting. Does the euro sign also appear in the formula bar? If so
    Try value(b3) or value (right(b3, Len(b3)-1))

Alternatively often a find and replace of say 0 with 0 will cause excel to apply automatic formatting and change a text to a value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Strangely, deleted all the currency figures, re-inputted them, marked them as currency again & it worked this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

OU812 wrote: »
    Strangely, deleted all the currency figures, re-inputted them, marked them as currency again & it worked this time

Not strangely! See my last post. In excel what is shown on the screen and what is recorded can be different as the display can be affected by the formatting. Before you had the euro sign typed in and fore some reason excel didn't convert it. Excel can't multiply a number by a symbol so it shows #value instead. Same thing happens if you use o instead of zero like 100.oo or have a space or comma in your number 1, 000

Glad you figured it out.

Advertisement