Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Intensity Work Outs - Supp Advice

• 05-04-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,

Currently attending high intensity workouts (strength and cardio) 3-5 times a week.

What I am taking:
    Low carb, high protein diet
    High potency multi vit
    Magnesium and vit b6
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein post workout.

Thinking of getting BCAA tabs
    Anything else worth taking pre/post workout to promote muscle and fat loss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

KyleJJE wrote: »
    Hi All,

Currently attending high intensity workouts (strength and cardio) 3-5 times a week.

What I am taking:
    Low carb, high protein diet
    High potency multi vit
    Magnesium and vit b6
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein post workout.

Thinking of getting BCAA tabs
    Anything else worth taking pre/post workout to promote muscle and fat loss

If you're taking all of this on 9000 calories a day at 75 kg then advising more would be pointless.
    If you're taking it all on 800 calories a day while weighing 135 kg then more supplements won't do squat for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KyleJJE

Cheers, currently weigh 90kg, with calorie intake approx 2000-2500

If you're taking all of this on 9000 calories a day at 75 kg then advising more would be pointless.
    If you're taking it all on 800 calories a day while weighing 135 kg then more supplements won't do squat for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

The point is your diet will affect you about 300 % more than any supplements. If you're eating between 80 and 180 of protein a day then you don't need the shakes. BCAA are just protein, if you're eating enough then you don't need BCAA either, unless you're lifting fasted for intermittent fasting.

If you're eating enough veg then you probably don't need a multi vit either.
    Magnesium can be got from food and tablets but supplementing it is ok as it doesn't absorb well through food. Better having an epsom salt bath once a week.

Vitamin d3 is wise as it's not great from food and we don't get much sun in Ireland.

Omega 3 fish oil may be necessary if you don't eat much fish.

Creatine if you're lifting often.

Sort your diet out, then look at supplements. You can do everything you need to without buying and choking down any supplements if your diet is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Djurgårn Eire

BCAA's are great for recovery and muscle repair, probably up there with creatine as the best legal supplement to take. I usually try and take the majority of my protein from food rather than supps but that's just me. Can't see what else you need really unless you work a lot and get fatigued, in that case I'd recommend a good pre-workout, just don't fry your neurons on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

BCAA's are great for recovery and muscle repair, probably up there with creatine as the best legal supplement to take.

I disagree with this so much. You get all the BCAAs you need from protein. The only reason to take them is if you workout fasted and have a long way to go till your first meal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement