Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else cringe at the idea of the "IFTAs"

• 06-04-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I cant help but feel embarrassed at this annual event. The use a shoddy hotel as the venue by the looks of it, The set couldn't be worse, simon delaney hosting is a farce. They only nominate the shows that are local/involve RTE or BBC in some way, maybe that is the point i dunno but these awards should not be held unless they are done right. I mean you could clearly hear the crowd talking while the presenters were talking, these things couldn't be more amateurish .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

The idea is a very good one, it's the execution I have a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I don't know how you think it's a cringe idea. Irish film and TV should be recognised. I'm slightly uncomfortable, though, with something like Game of Thrones being nominated, even though it's got quite an Irish connection. And, it's farcical when it then doesn't win.

The ceremony itself is cringe, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The show itself, is quite crings, but find me any award ceremony that isn't... The Oscars and Golden Globes are equally as cringey (if not moreso) in my opinion.

The idea itself, however, certainly isn't. Despite many claims that our homeproduced cinema and television is absolute tripe, we actually produce many fantastic and memorable pieces of cinematography every single year and that certainly is something which we should celebrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

'we actually produce many fantastic and memorable pieces of cinematography every single year and that certainly is something which we should celebrate.'

really?? examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cringing listening to the audience talking over the presenters and people giving acceptance speeches. Incredibly rude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This year I think there's actually a pretty good show of talent in the nominations. It's the first year I've thought yeah, we've made some good stuff. There is still an element of reaching for any connection to fill up the categories though.

As a few have said though it's really the execution that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Me and the missus were watching. We had to keep changing channel as the cringe factor was unbearable at times. Event organisers to blame I would think. That and the writers for the hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tsipras wrote: »
    'we actually produce many fantastic and memorable pieces of cinematography every single year and that certainly is something which we should celebrate.'

really?? examples?

Off the top of my head...

TV
    Love/Hate
    Father Ted
    Moone Boy
    Bachelor's Walk
    The Fall
    Rásaí na Gaillimhe
    An Crisis
    Corp + Anam
    Seacht
    Stumpet City
    Pure Mule
    Paths To Freedom

FILM
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley
    Michael Collins
    In Bruges
    Intermission
    Adam + Paul
    The Snapper
    The Van
    The Commitments
    Into The West
    The Field
    What Richard Did
    War of the Buttons
    The Butcher Boy
    Spin The Bottle
    The General
    Veronica Guerin
    My Left Foot
    Song For A Raggy Boy
    Garage
    Kings
    Grabbers
    In The Name of the Father

Only the tip of the iceberg there, and I'm not even going to start listing the documentary films and series' that we produce. As well as short movies and independent productions that receive limited release at film festivals and the like.
    The notion that people have that we don't produce anything worthwhile is nothing more than general begrudgery or uneducated petiness.
    We also manage to churn up an awful load of sh*te year in year out, but so does every other country in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

TheChizler wrote: »
    Cringing listening to the audience talking over the presenters and people giving acceptance speeches. Incredibly rude.

The bizzarre thing is they have either mic'd the audience or are using the wrong mics. Any half assed pub band sound engineer could set up mics which pick up only what you want to be picked up.
    Or if they really want the room ambience at the live event (cant imagine why) they could easily cut it out of the broadcast audio feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I thought Steve Coogan was going to start his speech by announcing to the organisers to give him 5 minutes notice before the event next year and he will knock out a script that is actually funny for the presenters.

Met Amy Huberman once and she was lovely but the amount of publicity she gets for anything she is in is of the scale for an average actress and what about that trailer ran in the middle of the awards for The Stag,what was that about, and if they were the funniest segments that they picked out for the trailer there is no hope for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Cringing at an awards show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Only the tip of the iceberg there

Aren't a large number of those things produced/funded by British stations/studios and execs?

tipptom wrote: »

Met Amy Huberman once and she was lovely but the amount of publicity she gets for anything she is in is of the scale for an average actress and what about that trailer ran in the middle of the awards for The Stag,what was that about, and if they were the funniest segments that they picked out for the trailer there is no hope for it.

All the nominees for "Best Film" got that. It's how they do it at awards now. Rather than just listing them off before presenting it they have someone come out and introduce a clip reel of each film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Off the top of my head...

TV
    Love/Hate
    Father Ted
    Moone Boy
    Bachelor's Walk
    The Fall
    Rásaí na Gaillimhe
    An Crisis
    Corp + Anam
    Seacht
    Stumpet City
    Pure Mule
    Paths To Freedom

FILM
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley
    Michael Collins
    In Bruges
    Intermission
    Adam + Paul
    The Snapper
    The Van
    The Commitments
    Into The West
    The Field
    What Richard Did
    War of the Buttons
    The Butcher Boy
    Spin The Bottle
    The General
    Veronica Guerin
    My Left Foot
    Song For A Raggy Boy
    Garage
    Kings
    Grabbers
    In The Name of the Father

Only the tip of the iceberg there, and I'm not even going to start listing the documentary films and series' that we produce. As well as short movies and independent productions that receive limited release at film festivals and the like.
    The notion that people have that we don't produce anything worthwhile is nothing more than general begrudgery or uneducated petiness.
    We also manage to churn up an awful load of sh*te year in year out, but so does every other country in the world.

Lol,you might have a point if all of these came out in a single year. Spread over decades it negates the need for an awards ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I thought Steve Coogan was going to start his speech by announcing to the organisers to give him 5 minutes notice before the event next year and he will knock out a script that is actually funny for the presenters.

Amy H was cringing as that Stag trailer was being played. She does her 'career' no
    good by participating in such dross. 'Your Bad Self' and 'Threesome' were also abysmally bad. :(

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Amy H was cringing as that Stag trailer was being played. She does her 'career' no
    good by participating in such dross. 'Your Bad Self' and 'Threesome' were also abysmally bad. :(

Threesome was brilliant.

I don't know how you think it's a cringe idea. Irish film and TV should be recognised. I'm slightly uncomfortable, though, with something like Game of Thrones being nominated, even though it's got quite an Irish connection. And, it's farcical when it then doesn't win.

The ceremony itself is cringe, though!

It's even more farcical when 'Byzantium' wins - it bombed at the box office. Funny
    to hear Neil Jordan say it was a pity more people did not come to see it and suggested
    that they should download it illegally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Absolute cringefest of insiders congratulating each other and getting wasted. A dedicated night on the late late would more than suffice.

All the nominees for "Best Film" got that. It's how they do it at awards now. Rather than just listing them off before presenting it they have someone come out and introduce a clip reel of each film.

And THAT was the funniest from The Stag? Seriously?? Amy H could barely look at it!

Threesome was brilliant.

Are they still making episodes? Thought the plug was pulled on that pile of rubbish.
    And rightly so!! :)

• Advertisement

Are they still making episodes? Thought the plug was pulled on that pile of rubbish.
    And rightly so!! :)

They made 2 series and the story wrapped up naturally.

I'd love to know what those slating everything other people are complimenting think is good TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Usually they introduce the film and show a clip,this was a full blown trailer with many clips and a voiceover and I think they may have even had the "in cinemas now" part.

Usually they introduce the film and show a clip,this was a full blown trailer with many clips and a voiceover and I think they may have even had the "in cinemas now" part.

Well I was only flicking back and forth but I saw Byzantium and Run & Jump get the same treatment, apart from the "in cinemas now" bit.

They made 2 series and the story wrapped up naturally.

I'd love to know what those slating everything other people are complimenting think is good TV.

Was delighted to see television director, Anna Rodgers, getting an award for 'Someone to Love'.

She has done excellent work such as 'Asylum' and documentaries with John Lonergan.

'The Fall' was very good. Am a fan of Jamie Dornan - he was brilliant in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I admittedly only watched one year, perhaps the year before or last year. It was the one where Fionnnula Flanagan won a life time achievement. The highpoint was a cameo by Brent Spiner.

It struck me though as a cringe fest where a clique just backslapped each other for an evening. The worst part was that the only ones who showed up appeared to be the actors who didn't have work. The rest (like Game Of Thrones people) just sent in acceptance videos. Definitely that was the case with Aidan Gillen who is quite in demand I'd imagine. Overall the show struck me as a waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

your bad self was brilliant, the stag was pretty good too.

your bad self was brilliant, the stag was pretty good too.

Different strokes for different folks!! :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Shogun Assassin

Thomas D wrote: »
    Lol,you might have a point if all of these came out in a single year. Spread over decades it negates the need for an awards ceremony.

Just off the top of my head in the last year, I am not going to get into films (its late)
    Some of these may not be out yet.

TV shows:

Love/Hate
    Corp & Anam 2
    Vikings
    Ripper Street
    Moone Boy
    Rásaí na Gaillimhe
    An Bronntanas
    Game of Thrones (*Northern Ireland)
    Scúp
    Raw
    Mrs. Browns Boys (I hate this show but people seem to like it)

That's just a few.

Advertisement