Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

• 06-04-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Probably not the right forum but I have never seen anything like this before. He is the size of a spider, but walks like a bee or a wasp, and doesn't have wings. And he's definitely red.

red.jpeg
    red2.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Woodlouse spider maybe?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

He's certainly a spider, but not sure what type... Might be the woodlouse-chomping Dysdera crocata, which is red, but perhaps not!
    I can move this over to the nature forum if you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    Dysdera crocata

Please tell me you Google'd that haha.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It looks like a house spider. Can't really see him red in the pics - looks brown to me. It's got eight legs so definitley arachnid - he looks like a spider in trouble tbh - little antenna are kinda limp looking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

VonVix wrote: »
    Please tell me you Google'd that haha.

I have a nerd-tastic memory for the Latin names of animals, I even devoted a good chunk of my life to identifying invertebrates to species level, but I will admit to checking this one! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah, it's a woodlouse spider. Thank you!! Have never seen one before. 16 minutes to identification, that's good - even for Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Definitely woodlouse spider, had one of these in my bed a few years back!

Advertisement