Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic in USA

Options
  • 06-04-2014 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Both myself and my 13 year old son are type 1 diabetics. Would this (a) stop us getting visas or (b) cost us a fortune in healthcare expenses?

We got free treatment in Ireland and something similar in New Zealand where we are now living. I would love to go to the US for a few years but dont know if this would make it not financially viable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're working (and not in an entry level job), you most likely would have some form of health insurance with would normally cover such things for you/your family. Without insurance, healthcare is going to cost a pretty penny.

As for it being a reason to stop you getting a visa, I don't believe that it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's not going to stop you from getting a visa, but they may ask for additional proof of funds that you can afford your medical insurance/ care. So for example if you were to be petitioned by a relative, they would ask for more than the usual 125% of poverty guidelines; this also often happens with elderly relatives being petitioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

you cannot be denied health coverage due to pre-existing conditions (thanks Obama!). However your premiums may be pretty high, as well as with higher deductible (the amount you need to pay before your insurance kicks in).

If you get health care through your job, depending on the level of coverage, you may still end up paying c400+ a month (through my job, we pay 350 a month for 2 of us, but the company pays the other 19000). This is for 2 people, non smokers.

Insurance is not cheap, but you'd be able to get it either through the state exchanges, healthcare.gov or direct from one of the providers (uhc, kaiser etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

you cannot be denied health coverage due to pre-existing conditions (thanks Obama!). However your premiums may be pretty high, as well as with higher deductible (the amount you need to pay before your insurance kicks in).

If you sign up under ObamaCare I dont think they dont ask about pre-existing conditions anymore so I dont think you'd even have to pay a higher premium. You certainy cant be denied anymore like under the old system.

Here's a link to the Washington State Healthcare plan browser, the other states would be similar, take a look:

http://www.wahealthplanfinder.org/

You wont hear the republicans shrills over in the "US Politics Forum" give Obama any credit for this though.

Advertisement