Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass growing - annual task...

• 06-04-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi
    I've a South West facing small garden which gets slot of sun but but half the lawn tends to be in shade. So each year, around this time, I get seed and compost and sow. This tends to work and the grass growsbut each spring I'm back to square one, with a lot of bald patches.

Am I missing something or is there anymore I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos. jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You could try doing your maintenance in autumn, say September. Aerate, scarify, top dress (optional) and if you think it needs it, lightly sow some extra seed around. Then in November give the lawn an autumn feed. It will be in great shape the following spring. Unfortunately a once a year maintenance is needed to have a nice lawn. After that it is a matter of correct mowing and feeding, perhaps a feed and weed. But a healthy lawn will have few weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

thanks

photos now attached
    thanks

Do you have a dog? Do you have much leaf fall which you leave on the grass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

there is a seed thats suited to the shademight be worth spraying and re seading

redser7 wrote: »
    Do you have a dog? Do you have much leaf fall which you leave on the grass?

Yes to dog and yes to leaf fall.
    I know the dog aint helping and I'm guessing leaf fall tol?

I posted photos but they never got published?

Yeah they both contribute to killing off your grass. Looking at the photos I can see leaves around the shed. You need to clear leaves off the lawn in autumn. They starve the grass of light and water. Get it going again by sowing now and then keep on top of leaf fall next autumn. And the autumn feed will toughen the grass too and help it survive the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

Cannot see any photos? I have dogs and the male is not a bother as he tends to pick a corner and cock a leak where as the female squats in different places and female dogs wee contains eostrogen which makes the grass discolour. I have experimented with something the vet gave me for her to neutralise it but it kept the vet happier than me I fear so I just go with the flow (excuse pun) as she has as much right to pee in her own garden as I feel I would. The important thing I found is the autumn treatment and seed with a shake of compost raking it in to hide from the birds and it looks great again in the spring.

See them now?

• Advertisement

See them now?

I fear not, where are they? normally don't have this prob.

4th and 5th posts down, click on the links

4th and 5th posts down, click on the links
    Thanks
    Also wondered if there is not a drip effect from the wall plants either when they over hang or when the wind shakes them and blows the rainwater onto the grass creating a drip, drip effect?

Advertisement