Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive estimated reading resulted in low usage standing charge for next bill. Anno

Options
  • 06-04-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I received a bill for an estimated reading in Feb. that was completely out of keeping with our normal usage at that time of year. Bill should have been c. 160 but was c. 232.
    I submitted a corrected reading online. This does not seem to have gone through (it was during the heavy storms in mid-Feb.) and the money (232) was taken out of my account by DD. Ok, sh** happens. Free 80 Euro loan for 2 months to Electric Ireland.
    Next I receive my April bill which of course is very low (c. 53) because of the totally excessive guesstimate from the previous billing period. But now I'm charged an extra 6 Euro for alleged "low usage"!
    That's just not on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

chook wrote: »
    I received a bill for an estimated reading in Feb. that was completely out of keeping with our normal usage at that time of year. Bill should have been c. 160 but was c. 232.
    I submitted a corrected reading online. This does not seem to have gone through (it was during the heavy storms in mid-Feb.) and the money (232) was taken out of my account by DD. Ok, sh** happens. Free 80 Euro loan for 2 months to Electric Ireland.
    Next I receive my April bill which of course is very low (c. 53) because of the totally excessive guesstimate from the previous billing period. But now I'm charged an extra 6 Euro for alleged "low usage"!
    That's just not on.

Surely not? That takes the biscuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

This happened with some of my bills when I was with Electric Ireland previously. An overestimate in one bill leading to an apparent underusage when an actual reading was taken for the next bill. The issue was eventually sorted after several emails back and forth and after I requested a complaint reference number. It does highlight a significant flaw in the system that still seems to be ongoing over a year and a half after it happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi chook,

Thanks for your post.
    chook wrote:
    I submitted a corrected reading online. This does not seem to have gone through...Next I receive my April bill which of course is very low (c. 53) because of the totally excessive guesstimate from the previous billing period. But now I'm charged an extra 6 Euro for alleged "low usage"

If you can send us your account details by private message, we can have a look at re-issuing your February bill based on the reading you originally submitted. This should re-distribute the usage, and if your Feb-April consumption is less than 2 units per day on average, then the low user standing charge will be removed from your most recent bill as a result.

There is further information on our low user standing charge here. Normally it would only apply to vacant premises or holiday homes. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chook

David, PM'd you. Thanks.

Advertisement