Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Review Committee

• 06-04-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

What are ye're views on this lads and lasses?

It could end up being a good thing, or a bad thing, for the games. The group is being chaired by Liam Sheedy, and the group also contains Pat Henderson, Paul Flynn, Sambo McNaughton, Michael Duignan, Ollie Moran and Ollie Canning in it, so there's a broad view on things, and from all four provinces as well.

If they are in a position to make changes for the game, what would you like to see them recommend?

Personally, I'd like to see:

National League
    - The national league format to stay the way it is, but with 10 home/away games instead of 5 games per team.
    - The top two teams of division 1 in the league final.
    - Top team in each division promoted automatically.
    - Bottom team of each division relegated automatically
    - A promotion/relegation playoff between 2nd bottom of division and 2nd top of the immediate lower division.
    - League to be run off over 13 week period (5 rounds, week break, 5 rounds, week break, league final/promotion/relegation playoffs).

Championship
    - A re-structure of the championship to include 4 AI quarter finals and no preliminary group. This would be a big one I think.
    It would also mean a more chances for a QF appearance for the likes of Waterford, Wexford, Laois, Offaly against one of the bigger sides, which could only be good for hurling.
    And with the preliminary group and a round of qualifiers now missing, its freeing up some time through the summer for the club games.
    Provincial champions don't have to wait 5/6 weeks for another game. I would also through in the caveat of a home QF as a reward for winning the province.
    - In Leinster seeding the provincial champions at home in the QF, instead of being seeded in the SF.

Rules
    - 10 minute sin-bin to brought in for cynical play (pulling down lads through on goal, wild pulls with no intent to injure, grabbing faceguards etc.)

Think this is a good opportunity to improve the game, without making too many changes to the sport. Simple changes is all we need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

League format is fine (well it was up to this year anyway...), no need to bloat it by doubling the games. The only change needed for the league is to ditch the 8 team quarter final system and revert to the format used in 2012 and 2013. The changes they made this year have really spoiled it. I agree with your promotion/relegation structure.

Championship format; after the last few years I can't understand why anyone would want to change the structure of the hurling championship, since it's introduction in 2008 the present structure has been a great success, long may it continue.

To be honest, I think the hurling review should forget about McCarthy cup counties altogether, forget about Division 1 in hurling and focus entirely on doing something for tier 2 counties. I'm sick and tired of seeing the likes of Carlow and Westmeath putting in great work only to see the powers that be continually make changes that always seem to screw these counties over.

There is a level of apathy to these counties which is shameful. When a change is proposed that's unfair to a bigger county like Wexford the country was up in arms last winter; yet there is never any outcry when changes are made that negatively effect the likes of Carlow and Westmeath (and Laois and Antrim....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yes yes yes to home and away league games. 10 games in the league would be pretty much perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

If 10 league games was brought in that would extend the league campaign by at least a month (they wouldn't play any more than 3 weekends in a row) which in my own county would mean that the two planned rounds of the county senior hurling championship would not go ahead in spring time as planned, which would ultimately mean playing the county final in poor conditions at the end of October. No thank you.

Also, it's nice to be able to see the county players line out for my club in the county league from time to time in the spring. An extra 6/7 weeks away with the county team would mean they would only ever play championship games for the clubs.

Only way this would be a runner is if the likes of the Waterford Crystal Cup were to be abolished, and the league began in January instead. (In that case, I think I'd actually be in favour to be honest, even given my belief that 10 games would be bloated and full of dead rubbers in latter rounds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Hanalei wrote: »
    If 10 league games was brought in that would extend the league campaign by at least a month (they wouldn't play any more than 3 weekends in a row) which in my own county would mean that the two planned rounds of the county senior hurling championship would not go ahead in spring time as planned, which would ultimately mean playing the county final in poor conditions at the end of October. No thank you.

Also, it's nice to be able to see the county players line out for my club in the county league from time to time in the spring. An extra 6/7 weeks away with the county team would mean they would only ever play championship games for the clubs.

Only way this would be a runner is if the likes of the Waterford Crystal Cup were to be abolished, and the league began in January instead.
    (In that case, I think I'd actually be in favour to be honest, even given my belief that 10 games would be bloated and full of dead rubbers in latter rounds)

I actually forgot to mention that when I made the post. I don't see any need for that competition, or the Walsh Cup, when they could be playing league games. More than that, there already is a competition for the colleges, and there is a strain on younger players as it is.

The extra league games would have to replace these competitions. Which would be no bad thing really, a manager would learn more than a competitive league game than a Waterford Crystal/Walsh Cup game any time.

I know the 10 game idea would leave the thing a bit bloated but when you consider the competitiveness of the leagues the last two years I suspect the extra games wouldn't matter, seeing as 2 from 6 would still be in relegation trouble teams would have to still perform well.
    And with an even number of home/away games we'd probably see more even results as every team would have the same number of home games (not the current disadvantaged system whereby three sides have an extra home and three sides don't).

Plus the extra few games provides more revenue for the GAA, and the counties involved.

All a fantasy I know, but scrapping the pre-season tournaments and replacing them with a home/away league structure under the current divisional format would be better in my view.

Advertisement