Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice-Cafe

Options
  • 06-04-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I come here seeking advice on an idea that I've had in the back of my mind for sometime. Now, I am aware there are a lot of Cafes opening/closing on a weekly basis, but my cafe is totally different and offers a complete USP.

In fact, I believe this could have the potential to be a franchise, without getting ahead of myself. I do not want to give too much detail away, but this cafe is more than just coffee/sandwiches or fancy chairs/decor.

I am finishing up my degree in Media at the moment and have a passion for fitness/health. I have not worked in a cafe, nor do I have any expience opening a business.

I see a lifestyle change, people are moving towards low carb/high protein diets, but yet I have not seen anywhere, that is focusing on healthy low carb foods.

When someone walks into a cafe, it's usually just sandwiches, rolls, wraps etc, and yes some places do salads, but they're so small and expensive. I want to give these people more option than just a skimpy wrap or small salad bowl. I want my cafe to a have smoothie/protein shake area, coffee/herbal tea/ main menu, there would also be a guilt free treats section, for those just wanting a healthy protein brownie/coffee.

There is more to the idea than this, but I don't want to give too much info away on it. I understand rents are high, cafes are opening/closing, but this idea is different. Being only a student, I have no money to invest in. I also understand about food safety/hygiene, but I need advise on how to go about approaching, or if it's worth approaching at all.

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think your idea sounds good so far even though I know there is more to it.

Imo a lot of people that want smoothies, shakes etc could be people that are on the go. So a key area here would be speed of service.

For herbal tea/coffee, people might want to sit and spend more time in the cafe and are prepared to wait to be served. A lot of cafes do offer healthy choice now to so there will always be competition in that area.

I think for a cafe like the type you describe could work well located near a high density office complex or street. You probably have your own ideas.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to contact your local Enterprise Board as soon as you can. They can give you some good start off advice such as putting toghether a business plan and they may assign a mentor to help you get the idea off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Sounds like Staple foods https://www.facebook.com/staplefoodsdublin lots of similar "healthy" option cafes popping up in Dublin I guess if you are looking outside Dublin and get in first you could make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There is a book I read in college called Anyone Can Do It. It was written by the brother and sister team that set up Coffee Republic in the UK. It was quite interesting and detailed how they went from idea stage to setting up their own company.

It could be a good read for someone like yourself thinking about going into this type of business.

First thing you need to do is get a job in a cafe and see how the business is run, and get an idea of the margins and profits and losses, and problems you might encounter

When I was in college I worked part time at GTI cafe in dunlaoghaire. He pumped a lot of money into it in terms of equipment and decor, had a nice modern menu, and good location near the cinema and bloom fields. Business closed after about 5 or 6 years and lost a lot over that period I believe, despite having decent lunch time trade. I remember thinking at the time its a tough business cafe's, with a lot of competition with the branded chains, and that there were easier ways to make a buck with a lot less financial risk upfront.
    Thats not to say it can't be done by any means, just that its not an easy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Give me a PM. Cheers Oliver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Programme on bbc2 now called coffee shop hot shots. All about the battle in the uk between Starbucks, costa and cafe nero. Very relevant to this thread I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

A coffee shop not focusing on the coffee?
    No thanks. I want proper premium craft coffee or I'll be elsewhere ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This type of business was explored to a large extent by nude in the last decade. It is probably a better time for it now. Still, though, location is crucial. You would need at least as good a location as nude had on Suffolk Street. It really has to be in a very busy spot, because it is still quite a niche offer. It is a very large investment to get right. Ultimately it depends on having great service as well as the right menu and marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Thanks for the advice so far.

Firstly, it's not just a coffee shop, my focus is on health foods, coffee/tea will also be on the menu, but this is not like Costa or Starbucks, who just seem to focus on Coffee/tea and pre packaged muffins/cakes.

I think people are definitely moving away from the traditional diet and focusing more on high protein diets. Yes, we will still sell breads, but healthy Low GI breads, seedy bagels, wraps, but not like the catering pan you see in O'Briens and the likes. What about breakfast, having omelletes, poached eggs, turkey rashers/sausages? I don't know anywhere offering them.

Regarding the drinks menu, I will have good coffee/tea but also cater for people wanting drinks such as coconut water, fresh smoothie, I am not aware of cafes that offer this.

I was also thinking about having a nutritional breakdown of each meal beside it, for example 20g of protein , 20g carbs, 10g fat. Also, having treats such as the protein bars, cookies, nuts, dark chocolate. Again, no where seems to be doing something like this.

I do understand location is key, and I know it needs to be beside an office block or high density street. I was thinking, if I found somewhere like this, that was already kitted out, it would save thousands, for example: http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/134135-Baggot-St-Lwr-Dublin-2/181146/

Yes, I know what you're thinking, it's failed already, so it will fail again, but this was just primarily a place selling coffee/muffins, like Costa. It's in the city centre too with a bus stop outside, people in the morning stopping in for coffee/porridge/breakie perhaps?!
    It's also beside Boots and Tesco, so lots of people passing by here.

I was going to contact my local enterprise board and see what they thought of it. Do they help in the financial side? Like I previously said, I am a student with an idea, so I am looking for some start up capital/guidance or do you guys think this is a disaster and should steer clear?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Conceptually, there are big problems. You are proposing moving from high-margin items (coffees and muffins) to lower margin items (food prepared on-site). To make money at this, you need to do a lot of volume. I don't think you have the space there for people to have breakfast.

The even bigger problem is that you don't have the experience of the trade that is honestly needed to make this a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I never said I won't be doing coffees or muffins, I understand these foods are quick and people on the go want a quick option.

I notice people going to Starbucks/Costa in the morning then having to go tesco /super valu for a fruit bowl, so that's having to stop twice, I want to eliminate that time spent between two places and offer a one stop, hassle free compromise. I am also sure there is huge mark up or fruit bowls?

Yes, my lack of experience is evident, hence why I was going to approach my local enterprise board

You dont need the enterprise board. Go get a job in a cafe and learn the business until you know what your talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You dont need the enterprise board. Go get a job in a cafe and learn the business until you know what your talking about

Spot on

The enterprise board aren't going to tell you what you need to know

You need minimum a year running a coffee shop day in day out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Getting hands on experience is definitely a good idea. Things are very different when you see how a business is actually run. It would also allow you to see what things people were bringing in from outside when they were collecting a take away so you knew what other stops people were making on their morning way in or on lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think conceptually its an excellent idea. I'm frequently remarking how difficult it is to get a non-bread or low carb lunch in the City Centre. There's certainly a market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NewRunnerRoy

I think the idea is very good in theory but I would imagine the costs associated with your raw materials will be a lot higher than your average cafe. With margins running very thin with cafes I feel that you will have to have substantially higher prices in an attempt to even break even. As you will be using fresher less processed foods your supplies will have a shorter shelf life which will give rise to a higher amount of waste.

Unfortunately it is a lot more expensive to lead a healthy lifestyle than to live on a diet full of processed and frozen crap....sure look at the dunnes special offers every Friday, 99% of the time is frozen pizzas, chips, chocolate, fizzy drinks and booze!

I think that your location will be key. You will need to set up where there is a high density of professionals that traditionally would have higher disposable income and a greater awareness of the importance of nutrition.

All the best with it!

Advertisement