Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back-Packing on year out : How to organise; How much money etc

• 06-04-2014 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

In my mid 30s I used to think I was too old to do something like this plus I have a pretty well paying job, however recently I have given it alot more thought. I am a single guy with no dependants no mortage, so what the hell is stopping me? You only get 1 life. So with all that being said how much would I need to have and how would I plan something like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've been giving the idea a lot of thought recently myself, I'm a bit younger, in my mid 20's but likewise have nothing to tie me down and just feel like I'm slaving away at work for nothing in particular. I don't have any great urge to have a year out and travel but think it's something I'll always regret if I don't do it while I'm free of any burdens

Goes without saying that the amount needed depends on where you're planning on going, I've been looking at around 4-6 months in SE Asia followed by some time in Australia, for Asia I'm looking at around €1000 per month, maybe a bit more for some luxuries though I've read that that should be plenty. I haven't put any real thought into Aus yet so haven't got a budget in mind but obviously it'll be more expensive

Are you thinking of going alone or with someone? If going alone I think the best bet is to pick a country/region, do a bit of research and just go for it. Have a general idea of your route and a few places you want to see but theres no point doing too much planning as things will invariably change along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Hey,

I'm in a similar boat, mid twenties, finishing up in work and my lease this June and have decided to head off for a year. You're dead right OP, mid 30s isn't too old for something like that at all, you'll have a blast.

I'm heading to SE Asia first for few weeks and then on to NZ. I'm going to try do SEA pretty cheap so I've as much money as possible for NZ, but then again, I am hoping to get some type of part time job in New Zealand to stretch out my savings a bit.

I am incredibly jealous. One day I will take a year off and backpack the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭themacman

SE Asia followed by South America would be the cheapest. Aim for at least 1000 euro per month, make it closer to 1500 if you can. Heading to Australia or NZ will decimate your savings.

Don´t plan it. Book a flight in, a flight out, and your first 3 nights accommodation. Rock n roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

themacman wrote: »
    SE Asia followed by South America would be the cheapest. Aim for at least 1000 euro per month, make it closer to 1500 if you can. Heading to Australia or NZ will decimate your savings.

Don´t plan it. Book a flight in, a flight out, and your first 3 nights accommodation. Rock n roll.

This is pretty much what I did for 7 months in South America. Flew into Caracas and out of Rio and had nothing else organised. Got accomodation in Caracas at the airport. I had certain places I wanted to be at certain times which helped with a very general itininery but also gave me the freedom to just relax if I found somewhere I really liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

themacman wrote: »
    100% agree, I booked a flight into Ecuador and out of Argentina there a couple of months back, I'm heading now on the second of June for 6 months. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Agree with all the above, book the flights and just go, even for 6 months, you wont regret it. South America is great! would go back in a heartbeat! you can make a rough plan of places but keep it fluid. if you go to SA make sure you hit Bolivia and Colombia, was fairly nervous and kept thinking 'hostage situation' but was so worth it, fantastic places and people! OZ & NZ are great to see but horrendously expensive after SA or Asia. One tip don't buy an all inclusive South America guide book, even for basic reference, they are worse than useless, phrases like trains leave from the train station spring to mind! Get one for your first country the rest you can pick up in hostels there or else just rely on local info and the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kefflin

Yeah would agree with wuffly. Oz and Nz are very expensive!!! Oz in particular however if you intend working they have lots of seasonal work in the outback that allow good opportunity for quick saving. SE asia and south america are where you'll get more bag for your buck. Ive friends that have recently travelled through Africa and loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 africansun

I think so too.

I live in Africa since 5 years and saw so many different kinds of travelers. The ones who thought everything through and planed ahead as well as the other ones who just arrived and went from there.

I think it takes a lot of pressure from you not to commit to a certain route and time frame. Stay were you like it and move on if you had enough.

African countries are quiet expensive though. You either have the option to travel like the locals which takes times, a sore body and a lot of patience or you book buses, flights or a car - which is ridiculously expensive.

In South Africa you should be fine with 1000 Euro if you stay in low-budget backpackers and don't eat out in fancy places. Countries like Mozambique, Botwana, Namibia, Zambia and Tanzania are a bit more expensive and I would add another 500 Euro per month of you don't require any luxus :-)

ENJOY! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

africansun wrote: »
    I think so too.

I live in Africa since 5 years and saw so many different kinds of travelers. The ones who thought everything through and planed ahead as well as the other ones who just arrived and went from there.

I think it takes a lot of pressure from you not to commit to a certain route and time frame. Stay were you like it and move on if you had enough.

African countries are quiet expensive though. You either have the option to travel like the locals which takes times, a sore body and a lot of patience or you book buses, flights or a car - which is ridiculously expensive.

In South Africa you should be fine with 1000 Euro if you stay in low-budget backpackers and don't eat out in fancy places. Countries like Mozambique, Botwana, Namibia, Zambia and Tanzania are a bit more expensive and I would add another 500 Euro per month of you don't require any luxus :-)

ENJOY! :)

+1.

I did a RTW trip on my own a few years back - had all routes and stuff like that mapped out, how many days I would stay in each place, etc.

All went out the window after about 3 days - if I was having a laugh I stayed on, if I wasn't I moved on. Of course there were some places I had to see but generally I just followed the fun so to speak :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement