Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Everton vs Arsenal match thread.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

well done everton a well deserved win:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Arsenal fans should be happy with the season overall, they over achieved for the majority of it.

Was that when we had 4 first team players fit that aren't now?

Great contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I will be highly surprised if one of the top 4 don't put there money in to try and grab Coleman from Everton this summer,

in about minute Everton will be in the top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well done to everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

thebaz wrote: »

Are they playing their game in hand straight away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

We are still a point behind. Game in hand tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

4 points for a win now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

blueser wrote: »
    Hard to understand how a side has led the table for a decent part of the season, despite them getting so many hidings. Too lazy to google it, but there must ba ta least 5 or 6 3+ goal defeats this season.They do have a soft underbelly, and can definitely be got at , if sides were brave enough to actually have a go at them. Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Villa (on the opening day) and Everton today have basically chased them off the park. And those are just the ones I can think off off the top of my head. Is it psychological with them?

You have a point but no way did Villa chase us off the park. We certainly have a problem with away matches against the top teams though.

I don't know what the matter is but you have to feel for the away fans. Up at the crack of dawn to travel up and watch that ****e. Not to think of the expense. I hope the players can give them plenty to cheer between now and the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Or could it be they were missing nearly half a first team?
    Rambo out
    Walcott out
    Wilshere out
    Ozil out
    Nearly every side gets injuries. It's how they cope with them. Also, they're all attacking players. Doesn't explain the leaking of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Or could it be they were missing nearly half a first team?
    Rambo out
    Walcott out
    Wilshere out
    Ozil out

Arsenal have had bad luck with injuries but every team every season gets injuries aswell as multiple ones at the same time its how teams deal with them that matters and arsenal have failed. The starting eleven today had plenty to win that game but folded badly.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    You have a point but no way did Villa chase us off the park. We certainly have a problem with away matches against the top teams though.

I don't know what the matter is but you have to feel for the away fans. Up at the crack of dawn to travel up and watch that ****e. Not to think of the expense. I hope the players can give them plenty to cheer between now and the end of the season.
    I certainly do feel sorry for them. It's a dear enough day out, without seeing your side giving up the ghost relatively early on. I don't envy them that trip back down to London.

• thebaz wrote: »
    Other half of post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Nearly every side gets injuries. It's how they cope with them. Also, they're all attacking players. Doesn't explain the leaking of goals.

Of course it does

If you can't grasp the impact of loosing your main strike forces on your defence been weaker then your need to start watching another sport mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Everton by far the better side. Arsenal so disorganised

Well today we were missing two of our starting back 4, including arguable our best defender.

No excuse for the rest but considering the first two goals today came from positions where we were understrength, it does go some way to explaining today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

This could be great for Ireland- a team with 3 or 4 Irish starters in the ECL will give us a great core.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    4 points for a win now?

well it was a 6 pointer game - misread the league :eek: - anyway great victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

All this talk of arsenal injuries, everton have been without jagielka, pienarr and gibson. All important players for a team like everton

Of course it does

If you can't grasp the impact of loosing your main strike forces on your defence been weaker then your need to start watching another sport mate.
    Fine; you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I've been watching football for most of my 51 years, a lot of it watching a team with a sh1t defence. So I like to think I know something about ''defending from the front'' (I presume that's what you're talking about?). But thanks for your input.

Gavlor wrote: »
    All this talk of arsenal injuries, everton have been without jagielka, pienarr and gibson. All important players for a team like everton

We've been without four starting midfielders for a lot of the season, and two starting defenders today.

Add to that, that we don't have a striker and it's a huge chunk of the team.

• Advertisement

gibson - in fairness he's a lot to do to become a starter - the bench maybe - this team has pushed on

gibson - in fairness he's a lot to do to become a starter - the bench maybe - this team has pushed on
    Gibson has had a great start to his Everton career before the Injury, he could easily slot in

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gibson has had a great start to his Everton career before the Injury, he could easily slot in

i'm not so sure, hopefully you're right and I'm wrong

i'm not so sure, hopefully you're right and I'm wrong
    They really do have such a strong selection in midfield, even if he is benched on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Congrats to Everton on great result. Martinez is a fantastic manager and yer lucky to have him. Watch out though as Arsenal are coming for him in the summer lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sergio wrote: »
    Congrats to Everton on great result. Martinez is a fantastic manager and yer lucky to have him. Watch out though as Arsenal are coming for him in the summer lol!

He stayed at Wigan for years when bigger clubs wanted him. Like Arsene he is a loyal to his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    Well today we were missing two of our starting back 4, including arguable our best defender.

No excuse for the rest but considering the first two goals today came from positions where we were understrength, it does go some way to explaining today.

Gibbs is no better than Monrael imo. AND he's always getting injured. We need a LB.
    Vermaillen was at fault for the 2nd goal. He has been poor anytime he played this season.
    But the main reason we lost so badly is Wenger. How can he not see where and when changes need to be made?
    He is very poor tactically too.

Gibbs is no better than Monrael imo. AND he's always getting injured. We need a LB.
    Vermaillen was at fault for the 2nd goal. He has been poor anytime he played this season.
    But the main reason we lost so badly is Wenger. How can he not see where and when changes need to be made?
    He is very poor tactically too.

I agree mostly except I think Gibbs is better than Monreal. I also think TV5 was at fault for the 1st goal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Not a hope in hell Gibson gets back in that team unless Gareth Barry leaves in the summer and doesn't come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

McGeady was quite good when he came on. Even if it was only 10 minutes. Think he needs a good pre-season behind him for next season though. Still looks like he's getting himself into shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

SantryRed wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell Gibson gets back in that team unless Gareth Barry leaves in the summer and doesn't come back.

The problem has been that Everton haven't had a replacement for Barry or McCarthy. Gibson would have fit that bill perfectly and would have given another option to magic Martinez.

Gibson will start in the city game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

4th place blown wide open now. Kick in the stomach for Arsenal fans as I know they expected to easily wrap up 4th and were hoping for a title challenge. Wonder how the players will recover from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

4th place blown wide open now. Kick in the stomach for Arsenal fans as I know they expected to easily wrap up 4th and were hoping for a title challenge. Wonder how the players will recover from this.

I still think Arsenal will get 4th BUT it won't excuse the sh1te performances from team and manager this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We've bad CFs at Chelsea but Arsenal dont have a much better selection.

No but I reckon Giroud would be great in that Chelsea side.

Jose would know just what to do with him.

(i.e. not play him up front alone with 5 CMF's 30 yards behind passing the ball sideways to each other)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Giroud was relatively good when we had pace in our side (Ramsey, Walcott) as it allowed others to get beyond him. Now he's just isolated and he doesn't play that role well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Some sublime skill shown from ex Sligo Rovers man Seamus Coleman today, well worth a look at two particular examples on the Irish Independants website. Would love to see Everton make the CL, would be good for the Republic of Ireland Team development as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Gibson will start in the city game....

No chance. It'll be Barkley, McCarthy and Osman.

Advertisement