Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urine scald

• 06-04-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hey again. Yet another hurdle to add to the dude diaries! He was really leaky over the last few days, no infection or anything just one of those things. But because of it his behind is always wet. Now I tried my hardest to keep him clean, he gets a bath most nights with just plain water to rinse off any urine and also the odd wipe with a baby wipe if he just needs a spot clean. But after the last few days his been kicking out his back leg a bit while walking almost like being stung by a nettle but I was examining him down there and he has a raw patch at the side of his scrotum. The vets said to use sudocrem to soothe it but he just licks it all off. Is there anyone here that might have experience with this? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Try washing the area with warm water & Bicarb of Soda. That'll take down some of the acidity of his urine. Sudocrem is good too, but like you say, cats love the taste of it!

I'd stop using baby wipes. They're probably adding to the irritation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You could try Cavilon spray on it. It's available from pharmacies and is designed as a barrier for burns etc. It comes in a cream too. After my surgery a few years ago my nurses used Cavilon products on me as my skin was getting raw from dressing changes. I googled it and it's safe for use on cats too.

If you are using wipes you might want to try Water wipes. They're just water with a little bit of juice in it, but odorless and very gentle with no chemicals. You can get them for 2 euro in any supermarket or chemist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry by baby wipes I meant water wipes, stocked up on them the last time I was in Dunnes! Is the Cavilon stuff safe for use on animals? I'm thinking of just putting the sudocrem on and sticking a cone on him for a bit to give it a chance to sooth before he licks it off but it's so sore that he's very reluctant to even let me bathe it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sorry by baby wipes I meant water wipes, stocked up on them the last time I was in Dunnes! Is the Cavilon stuff safe for use on animals? I'm thinking of just putting the sudocrem on and sticking a cone on him for a bit to give it a chance to sooth before he licks it off but it's so sore that he's very reluctant to even let me bathe it or anything.
    Yep it's safe for animals.

Advertisement