Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlifting @77kg

• 06-04-2014 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just looking for some advice and information on powerlifting in general

Just wondering do many ppl compete at 77kg? I'm assuming there are weight classes come competition time?

At 77kg what sort of totals would you need to be hitting?

I've done some searching and I can't really understand the results tables or lift tables

Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Don't worry about others totals. Get a total and then look to beat it the following comp.

You're from limerick I think? There's a comp on Kilmurry lodge that I'm hoping to compete in in September 13th, may be wrong on date but definitely September. It'll be my first too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Don't worry about others totals. Get a total and then look to beat it the following comp.

You're from limerick I think? There's a comp on Kilmurry lodge that I'm hoping to compete in in September 13th, may be wrong on date but definitely September. It'll be my first too.

Yeah I'm in limerick, would you think training with a powerlifting culb is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Get your technique down, get strong and then do this:
    Don't worry about others totals. Get a total and then look to beat it the following comp

Your numbers aren't going to matter to anyone else so just do your best first time round and make your best better for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I know a lad who lifts equipped @ 82.5kg and is the current Arnold Champion.

Bear in mind Andy Cusick is unique but not sure of his best lifts but his goals are:

420kg squat
    300kg + Bench
    340kg Deadlift

IPO world champs are in Limerick next year.

Shane Brodie is down in Limerick and has a club - worth getting in touch - Shane is also quite a handy lifter - Limerick has no shortage of top lifters down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I know a lad who lifts equipped @ 82.5kg and is the current Arnold Champion.

Bear in mind Andy Cusick is unique but not sure of his best lifts but his goals are:

420kg squat
    300kg + Bench
    340kg Deadlift

IPO world champs are in Limerick next year.

Shane Brodie is down in Limerick and has a club - worth getting in touch - Shane is also quite a handy lifter - Limerick has no shortage of top lifters down there.

Thanks for that...I current unbelted bests are

Bench 85kg
    Deadlift 140kg(Hit that today after not deadlifting for 2 months nearly)
    Squat 120kg

So a total of 345kg...Not going to be pulling up trees me thinks:o

• Advertisement

Thanks for that...I current unbelted bests are

Bench 85kg
    Deadlift 140kg(Hit that today after not deadlifting for 2 months nearly)
    Squat 120kg

So a total of 345kg...Not going to be pulling up trees me thinks:o

Just make it a competition against yourself. Keep striving to beat your previous best etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 powerpete

In terms of competitions you have a choice so you should have a look at all your options and see what suits you best, you can find the IDFPA (Irish Drug Free Powerlifting Association) website at www.idfpa.net you can find the calender of events and plenty of other useful info

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Probably the above fed is a good place to start, there is also the GPC and IPO with some great things going on in the IPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nowy798

Well. Is there any competitions in Co.Tipp ?

nowy798 wrote: »
    Well. Is there any competitions in Co.Tipp ?

Well. Have you looked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 nowy798

Well. Have you looked?
    yea but i didn't find anything :/

Limerick would be the hot bed for comps and some in the North and also Drogheda now.

I met a chap yesterday who is a sub junior (17 currently) he is going for the IPO non equipped worlds in S. Africa in 8 weeks.

Cannot remember his exact numbers but IIRC:

150-160 SQ
    110 BP
    220 DL

I believe he is tipped for top three at the worlds.

He is around the 75kg weight as well.

As you are in Limerick I would suggest finding out where Shane has his new gym and popping along to it for a look and a chat - you'll defo get good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Djurgårn Eire

Like many people have already said here, compete against yourself, not against others. You're only battling your own PB's, if you can't beat them then you can't progress to being good competition level. I think you only need to join a team if you are lacking some encouragement and/or if you are lifting heavy and don't have a decent spotter to make sure you don't get injured. You obviously also want to consider if you are going to lift clean or with gear.

Advertisement