Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Make-up selfies

Options
  • 06-04-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi :)
    I was just wondering if anyone else here thinks that no make-up selfies encourage the idea that it is normal for women to wear make-up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

It is normal ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think they are just the latest exercise in vanity. It's just another "look at me, look at me, look at me...".

There is nothing wrong with not wearing make up and there is nothing wrong with wearing make up. And both is perfectly "normal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

If any good awareness or originality has come out of it, I would hope that it would help / make / encourage women feel that it is okay not to have to wear make-up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

The one thing annoying me about those is that in about half the selfies I've seen on Facebook, they're still wearing makeup!
    It's just more toned down. FFS like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have had so many arguments about this whole thing.

Yes, it started as an awareness thing with no money being raised.

Yes, some people are using it to get a confidence boost.

But you can't deny that for many women it is genuinely unusual to not wear makeup. For some women it is a sacrifice to appear in a public forum without makeup on. That is not a bad thing, it just is how it is. So posting a photo of yourself without makeup is just as much of a sacrifice in order to raise money as doing a sponsored silence or what have you. Why is someone baking a cake for a cake sale given more admiration than someone doing this?

I don't wear makeup. Ever. But I thought it was a cool way to raise money for cancer charities- and I fail to see how doing so is a bad thing. So instead of doing a no makeup selfie, I got my gf to do me in full makeup, which tbh was a big deal for me to do in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I think there will always be some people (both men and women) who will use any excuse to show off and be utterly vain. However, I would like to believe that for 90% of the people I've seen, they were doing it for the right reason and judging by the amount of money that has been raised, it's clearly working as a fundraiser. Yes there are definitely people who are "cheating" and clearly still have make up on, but that's their issue to deal with. I think there's a risk of over-thinking this... it's a fad, it'll be over in a week or two (I haven't seen any of my friends posting them in a week at least now), so I'd rather just view it positively. Additionally, I know several people who have had experiences with cancer and they all really supported it so I'd do it for them alone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Honestly at the start i was thinking what a load of nonsense, why can't ye all donate to charity without making a fuss about it? But then a friend nominated me and then my sister. And a lot of people were doing it and (more importantly) donating money when they did so.

I must admit I posted mine for somewhat selfish reasons. I hate anyone seeing me without make up. I have rosacea and without make up my face is quite red especially if I go outdoors. I feel naked without it and lack confidence, not to mention my skin actually needs that layer of protection (it's awfully thin and sensitive). So I took a photo of myself on a Saturday morning, relaxed and without make up and my face looking not too red. Posting it on Facebook was way outside my comfort zone. Did I get loads of likes? No. Did anyone tell me I looked great? No (well except my mammy :D). But no one said 'hey, state of you' so people seeing me without make up is one thing to worry about a little less - they've all seen the awful truth now :D

AND I donated some cash to a worthy cause.

It is normal for women to wear make up, more people wear it than not I think. But it's ok not to. Lots of women actually looked genuinely better with no make up (just not me!)

The one thing annoying me about those is that in about half the selfies I've seen on Facebook, they're still wearing makeup!
    It's just more toned down. FFS like.

That and the amount of lighting, timing and camera effects are pretty damn hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just don't like the idea that showing your face without makeup is somehow considered daring. I'm sure lots of women feel insecure without make up but thats not something I feel we should encourage.

On a personal level I think its quite saddening it appears more normal to wear makeup daily than to not wear it. But thats just me, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

If people want to wear make up everyday because they like the way it looks then good for them. But they shouldn't do it because they feel their real face is somehow inadequate without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I just don't like the idea that showing your face without makeup is somehow considered daring. I'm sure lots of women feel insecure without make up but thats not something I feel we should encourage.

On a personal level I think its quite saddening it appears more normal to wear makeup daily than to not wear it. But thats just me, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

If people want to wear make up everyday because they like the way it looks then good for them. But they shouldn't do it because they feel their real face is somehow inadequate without it.

Couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just remembered that reading this helped me to make up my mind to do one as well regardless of my initial misgivings. Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Did not do the no make up selfie for several reasons. I wear very little (lipstick and very occasionally eyshadow) and do not wear any most of the time. I did donate to a cancer charity for general cancers. I am a 7 year oesopghageal cancer survivor so did get help from the cancer charity I donated to when I was first diagnosed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I wrote this as my personal reaction to the no make-up selfie trend after being nominated. It was a sensitive topic for me as someone whose looks were actually affected due to cancer.

Advertisement