Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Kilkenny.

Options
  • 06-04-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hello!, Can anyone recomend places to visit in Kilkenny? We are interested in history, architecture, anything unusual or offbeat too.

Non-nightlife type activities, no bars/clubs. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

kells priory is really worth a visit only about ten mins from the cityhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kells_Priory

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MixedUpMick

Canice's tower is good. It's a medieval round tower on the grounds of Canice's cathedral. Gives you a birdseye view of the whole city and surrounding countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Have a quick flick through the images on the Face Book Page Kilkenny Down Memory Lane.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/208774619314035/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Seconding Canices tower and the church beside it.
    If you dont like heights though it might not be for you, climbing the interior stairs in canices tower is pretty fun.

St Mary's cathedral has some lovely classic architecture on the inside, I'm not sure if it stays open all day though.

Kilkenny Castle, especially the gardens and park surrounding each side are lovely. I wasnt mad about the tour though but its worth a shot if you're interested in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP when are you visiting?

• Advertisement

Get the New Ross bus to Bennetsbridge at 11.30 from the Castle Rd (weekdays only) and walk back to Kilkenny along by the river. Its about 5 miles and there are markers and sign posts along the way:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you are looking outside the city, around the county there are loads of nice spots to visit. Jerpoint Abbey, Dunmore Cave, Jenkinstown Wood, Woodstock (if it's open again now) to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭kksaints

If you are looking outside the city, around the county there are loads of nice spots to visit. Jerpoint Abbey, Dunmore Cave, Jenkinstown Wood, Woodstock (if it's open again now) to name a few.

Its open again now,although one or two of the walks are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Thanks very much!
    I will look into all of them tomorrow :)
    I'd say it will be June when we visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

history, architecture, .
    Hole in the Wall for sure, if it's open http://www.holeinthewall.ie/#!history/c1jo3

Rothe House too http://rothehouse.com/ maybe the Black Abbey... maybe take a walking tour too if they are still doing them ( I think they are)

Check out Kytelers Inn for a nice olde worlde taverne for something to eate and ye olde drinke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

reptile village in gowran is worth a visit too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

First stop should be the tourist office in Rose Inn Street. All the info you need should be available there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

earlytobed wrote: »
    First stop should be the tourist office in Rose Inn Street. All the info you need should be available there

This isn't always the case,
    While they are great at pushing stuff in the city they are not so great at mentioning the likes of Kells,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We've got two Dunnes.

Thanks and lol's where appropriate but I am from near Ennis and we have the Dunnes with Ireland Largest Lingerie Department :O)

What I would really love is some info on totally off the tourist-trail, unusual places that maybe few people visit. Really odd places. I will try to provide an example of such places tomorrow. I am delighted with the recommendations I have been given so far though!

Thanks, everyone! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

What I would really love is some info on totally off the tourist-trail, unusual places that maybe few people visit. Really odd places. I will try to provide an example of such places tomorrow.

Knockroe is a fascinating prehistoric site that rarely gets mentioned, it's got a winter solstice sunset stone alignment (it was a covered tomb but the mound was reduced over the millennia. It's in a very evocative setting, there are other ancient sites visible form there.
    Passage%20Tombs%20of%20Knockroe,,10,,04,,2012.%20024.jpg
    You'll find it here, it can be muddy down that lane, also nearby is the high cross of Ahenny.

I know it's a bit far from Kilkenny itself but it's my favorite unknown site within the county.

Good stuff :O) Thank you Catbear

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Advertisement