Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Powder Blue' sugar paste

Options
  • 06-04-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

I'm making a cake this week and the person has asked for powder blue icing on the cake. Has anyone got any recommendations of a pre-coloured icing or even a paste colour I could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wilton do a gel colouring in cornflower blue, probably the best route to powder blue icing. Apparently it's difficult to get that particular shade outside of the US but this place in the UK has it http://www.cake-stuff.com/edibles-c1/icing-colouring-c15/paste-gel-icing-colouring-c19/wilton-cornflower-blue-paste-gel-icing-food-colouring-28g-usa-p1318, have never ordered from them though.

Edit: when I've needed to mix a specific colour of icing in the past I've looked up artist's paint mixing guidelines and used that advice, for example to mix cornflower blue they suggest mixing white with ultramarine (a warm shaded blue, i.e. no yellow/green tones) and a drop of black to create the slightly grey (powdery) tone - the same principle applies, handy when it's hard to buy the colour of sugarpaste you want.

Advertisement