Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

With Somaia Halawa talking about "the blood that will run tonight"

The military junta were murdering protesters at that point........
    and that the "victory of Allah will come soon".

Standard religious talk in that part of the world. The fact remains that the Muslim Brotherhood did win free and fair elections, the military junta did not.

Still some nice selective and context free quotes there, trying to paint them as being violent, when it was the military junta engaged in violence that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Doesnt Matter.... they were well aware of what was going on before they traveled. Possibly better informed than the DoFA as heads of the Irish Islamic Cultural center. All the privileges you have here in Ireland (right to remain silent, speedy trail, jury of your peers, presumption of innocence, a counsel for defence, etc) may not apply in these countries.

I somehow dont think based on the video evidence that they were over for cricket. They were over to protest, just they didnt get the outcome they wanted. Irish Citizenship (not passports) for the last 20 years has been handed out freely without careful consideration who it was handed out to.
    doesn't matter. they are irish citizens and are entitled to help from the irish state. nothing you say can and will change that. end of

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

wes wrote: »
    The military junta were murdering protesters at that point........

Standard religious talk in that part of the world. The fact remains that the Muslim Brotherhood did win free and fair elections, the military junta did not.

Still some nice selective and context free quotes there, trying to paint them as being violent, when it was the military junta engaged in violence that point.

What about the standard legal system in Egypt??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My understanding of the Irish passport is that it is from a neutral country and cannot be questioned like a British, American German french or Russian Passport as it a first world country without being a superpower ... something close to the value of a Swiss or Canadian passport. These guys are travelling under the guise of a neutral country to a Warzone to cause civil unrest. Strip them of their passports. Dont say it cant be done because if you lose your passport more than twice the DoFA arent obliged to reissue with one
    no need to strip them. waste of time money and resources for a non existant threat. its britain and america they want. not some irrelevant little island

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

What about the standard legal system in Egypt??

You mean the one run by an military junta, that illegally removed the democratically elected government? That one? I would say that a legal system run by military junta, should be considered illegitimate. BTW, they also arrested secularists, who also protested at a different time than the Brotherhood, some of whom even supported the junta at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

no need to strip them. waste of time money and resources for a non existant threat. its britain and america they want. not some irrelevant little island

The Minister for Justice of this "irrelevant little island" seems to think differently.

You mean the one run by an military junta, that illegally removed the democratically elected government? That one? I would say that a legal system run by military junta, should be considered illegitimate. BTW, they also arrested secularists, who also protested at a different time than the Brotherhood, some of whom even supported the junta at the time.

You were putting their religious chants into context. I'm putting Ibrahim's arrest and now imprisonment into context.

You were putting their religious chants into context. I'm putting Ibrahim's arrest and now imprisonment into context.

You were? If you were, you were not very clear about your intention.

You were? If you were, you were not very clear about your intention.

Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Other siblings claimed to be there a month beforehand before deciding to get involved. With Somaia Halawa talking about "the blood that will run tonight" and that the "victory of Allah will come soon".

I blame Amhrán na bhFiann and possibly Riverdance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

smurfjed wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what exactly you want the Irish Embassy to do?

From the tone of some of the replies here some people are expecting the Rangers to be getting ready to jump out of a plane over Cairo as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

And promptly started trying to change the constitution so that no future elections would be free and fair and that a muslim brotherhood hegemony would be ensured, that's why protests then started against them. Don't try and make out that the MB were some kind of goody-two-shoes who never did anything wrong, they did their own fair share of protestor killing, not to mention organising rape-gangs to intimidate female opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

And promptly started trying to change the constitution so that no future elections would be free and fair and that a muslim brotherhood hegemony would be ensured, that's why protests then started against them. Don't try and make out that the MB were some kind of goody-two-shoes who never did anything wrong, they did their own fair share of protestor killing, not to mention organising rape-gangs to intimidate female opposition.

At the time they were seen as a force for good. Stop trying to paint these young Irish teens as being supporters of what the MB became. I've no doubt if they had known what was to come from the MB then they wouldn't have supported them. MB convinced even America that it would be a democratic and fair government.

Putinovsky wrote: »
    At the time they were seen as a force for good. Stop trying to paint these young Irish teens as being supporters of what the MB became. I've no doubt if they had known what was to come from the MB then they wouldn't have supported them. MB convinced even America that it would be a democratic and fair government.

Seen as a force for good? By who, by Islamists and anti-secularists perhaps.

America was convinced that Maliki was a force for good, that didn't work out too well either did it. I wouldn't necessarily use America being convinced of something as support for an argument.

BULL****!

There's been talk of putting the MB on several lists of terrorist organisations for years now. Just because they talked nice for a bit doesn't mean jack squat. There was a reason so many western commentators were nervous about the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

"Even America"? Taliban, Sadam Hussein, IS,...

Seen as a force for good? By who, by Islamists and anti-secularists perhaps.

America was convinced that Maliki was a force for good, that didn't work out too well either did it. I wouldn't necessarily use America being convinced of something as support for an argument.

You make a very salient point. Many Americans are convinced there's aliens in Area51 and Elvis is running a fishing gear shop down in Florida :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You've some source for that?

wexie wrote: »
    You make a very salient point. Many Americans are convinced there's aliens in Area51 and Elvis is running a fishing gear shop down in Florida :D

Oh come on everyone knows there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis :D

Nodin wrote: »

How did I know you'd be around to say that? Yes there are plenty of sources, and you know well there are, this is just your usual tactic to defend islamists.

• Advertisement

How did I know you'd be around to say that? .

Because if it's an argument that Nodin doesn't like then it didn't happen unless it can be linked. If it's an argument he supports then it's common knowledge and surely he shouldn't be hassled to link it, you can just google it.

Their dad, the Imam at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland, is heavily linked with the Muslim Brotherhood. Let's not pretend that they were naive, just over to Egypt to check out the pyramids and got caught up in it all. They were leading a rally that tens of thousands attended ffs.

Nodin wrote: »

You've some source that disproves that?

Their dad, the Imam at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland, is heavily linked with the Muslim Brotherhood. Let's not pretend that they were naive, just over to Egypt to check out the pyramids and got caught up in it all. They were leading a rally that tens of thousands attends ffs.

Yes, but you can't prove it. ie. You can't link an article (no matter how obscure) stating that this is true.

Therefore, it didn't happen and you're wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chatperche

wexie wrote:
    Many Americans are convinced there's aliens in Area51 and Elvis is running a fishing gear shop down in Florida 

Do you have a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Their dad, the Imam at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland, is heavily linked with the Muslim Brotherhood. Let's not pretend that they were naive, just over to Egypt to check out the pyramids and got caught up in it all. They were leading a rally that tens of thousands attends ffs.

They've gone to Egypt every single year since they were kids. Why are you so keen to portray them as fanatical islamists? You don't even know them. After reviewing your posting history it seems you certainly have an agenda when it comes to people of differing faiths, colours, nationalities.

wexie wrote: »
    Yes, but you can't prove it. ie. You can't link an article (no matter how obscure) stating that this is true.

Therefore, it didn't happen and you're wrong :rolleyes:

http://markhumphrys.com/clonskeagh.html#halawa

Loads of info on him there.

chatperche wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

Standards are dropping, Submit your doctoral thesis or nothing happened. Ever.

They've gone to Egypt every single year since they were kids. Why are you so keen to portray them as fanatical islamists? You don't even know them. After reviewing your posting history it seems you certainly have an agenda when it comes to people of differing faiths, colours, nationalities.

What agenda does he have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

smurfjed wrote: »
    We wouldn't accept the Egyptian government getting involved in the Irish legal system
    Of course we would, we would be violating article 5i of the Vienna Convention on Consular assistance if we tried to stop them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement