Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

i don't blame him. I'm in me fourties and I fear execution pretty much anywhere. I doubt it's too nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

bit later after the Ambassador offered you a deal to get out..... sure when he pops his clogs he gets 70 virgins..... either that or he is going to his personal idea of hell ..... possibly have to eat spam while watching Xfactor and eating non halal food with VAnessa Feltz telling you told you so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Top Man: Minister of Justice, Sec of Home office, country changes the name changes the role stays the same.

You are also quoting me out of context All states have agencies to get stuff done.

Still doesnt change that some Egyptian has turned up in Egypt caused a ruckus and thought the Irish Passport will save him from the Egyptian Justice system. No Irish ambassador worth his salt is going to do something to upset a beef deal or to call in favour when he needs a missing individual found or a body repatriated for some clown who traveled against advice of DoFA to go to a place and participate in Civil unrest.

It still fascinates me what people expect the local embassy in Cairo to do?

Out of context quote is an old trick when you have someone back to the wall.

The beef deal is the big one and is a lot more important to the country than some scobe acting the tough guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Out of context quote is an old trick when you have someone back to the wall.

The beef deal is the big one and is a lot more important to the country than some scobe acting the tough guy.

Absolutely correct.

Ireland and Egypt have generally maintained cordial diplomatic relations through thick n thin,over many different Leaderships.

Just because the Hawalla children embarked upon a crusade,then,when called-out,decided to wrap the Irish tricolour around themselves,does'nt automatically endow their particular crusade with any more credibility than the pro-Egyptian government side.

Give it a wee bit longer,and I'll confidently predict young Ibraham will be released into the care of the Irish Consulate and,after a suitably revolutionary pause,he will return to his country of domicile to embark (with his siblings) upon a series of live appearances on Irish Radio,TV and the Print Media for the required Andy Warhol (minutes of fame) tour.

Then again,maybe the King of the One Liners is correct......
    Nodin: I've no idea.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

So you Ibrihim and his family :6? entitlement to Irish passports: Questionable?

Irish Beef Contract to Egypt? http://www.djei.ie/publications/commerce/2000/beefreport.pdf Circa 2000
    Over a Billion Euro?
    Irish Jobs directly and indirectly involved? Possibly 80k (Farmers, truckers. beef processors. marketing, retail, materials, cleaning). Legitimate Irish citizens.

Looks like young Ibrihim has put his faith in a much over valued Irish Passport. Let him do his own deal with Egyptian Government. I would think a stint in Egyptian army would do him he world of good for a few years. Make a man out of the boy.

Hey there is a new elite minefield clearing unit needed in Southern Egypt on the Sudanese border. Now he can gather his patriotic spirit and go serve his country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Absolutely correct.

Ireland and Egypt have generally maintained cordial diplomatic relations through thick n thin,over many different Leaderships.

Just because the Hawalla children embarked upon a crusade,then,when called-out,decided to wrap the Irish tricolour around themselves,does'nt automatically endow their particular crusade with any more credibility than the pro-Egyptian government side.

Give it a wee bit longer,and I'll confidently predict young Ibraham will be released into the care of the Irish Consulate and,after a suitably revolutionary pause,he will return to his country of domicile to embark (with his siblings) upon a series of live appearances on Irish Radio,TV and the Print Media for the required Andy Warhol (minutes of fame) tour.

Then again,maybe the King of the One Liners is correct......

Point of order...........but can Muslims go on a 'crusade,? ;)

Apart from that I reckon you're spot on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

whirlpool wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ.

Some governments should just be bombed and be done with them once and for all.

At last.

Someone else who agrees that we should abolish our farcical stance on neutrality.

Lapin wrote: »
    At last.

Someone else who agrees that we should abolish our farcical stance on neutrality.

We're not neutral - we never were or have been neutral. The lack of understanding on this point on the part of the Irish public can be sometimes stunning.

Lapin wrote: »
    At last.

Our stance on neutrality has been invaluable and has gotten us deals and preserved the safety of Irish tourist abroad. while we may have crossed over the line a few times, we are widely seen as an Neutral country and and makes our products acceptable in both Israel and the rest of Middle East region.

For the Defence projects we could explore we would lose that in trade with Food and IT and Pharmaceutical. Also Technicians from Ireland maybe unwelcome in certain countries. I know a person with two Irish passports..... One is for passing through Israel and the other for Jordan/Bahrain/Saudi Arabia. It avoids complex lines of questioning.

We have been the cannon fodder for many different nations (America, Britain, France and Spain) over the years. We also need to stamp out the abuse of using Irish passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Skooterblue2, is it possible for you to put your argument across without being rude to someones religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

smurfjed wrote: »
    Skooterblue2, is it possible for you to put your argument across without being rude to someones religion?

What's wrong with being rude to someone's religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Jawgap wrote: »
    We're not neutral - we never were or have been neutral. The lack of understanding on this point on the part of the Irish public can be sometimes stunning.
    Even Enda agrees:

"First, we must live up to our international responsibilities. We must tell the truth about our neutrality, because, like it or not, Ireland is no longer neutral. We are merely unaligned and it’s high time the Government came clean and gave the country the debate it deserves."
    (2003)

smurfjed wrote: »

???

I like to think of myself as a liberal thinker with friends across a wide spectrum of Christianity and Judaism..... however after reading about Terry Kelly and his plans to "Fly the black flag of Islam over Daíl Eireann" (see interview in Irish Times Weekend some years back) ..... It has open my eyes to the agenda. We definitely need to tighten up on handing out passports and more importantly citizenship. Irish citizenship is almost as valuable as either Swiss or Canadian. It is a fantastic privilege to enjoy, not to be prejudged on the basis of your nationality. Before you cry the "R" word think of how many times Police and other State officers have detained people based on their nationality.

My understanding of the previous Minister for Justice is that once the last few few rounds of passports were processed.... that would be the end of citizenship and passports unless in special circumstances for people not born here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

???

I like to think of myself as a liberal thinker with friends across a wide spectrum of Christianity and Judaism..... however after reading about Terry Kelly and his plans to "Fly the black flag of Islam over Daíl Eireann" (see interview in Irish Times Weekend some years back) ..... It has open my eyes to the agenda. We definitely need to tighten up on handing out passports and more importantly citizenship. Irish citizenship is almost as valuable as either Swiss or Canadian. It is a fantastic privilege to enjoy, not to be prejudged on the basis of your nationality. Before you cry the "R" word think of how many times Police and other State officers have detained people based on their nationality. .................

So after reading the rantings of an Irish born eejit, you think its time to clamp down on the foreigners......right so.

Nodin wrote: »
    So after reading the rantings of an Irish born eejit, you think its time to clamp down on the foreigners......right so.

Not what he said at all and well you know it.

Not what he said at all and well you know it.

"I like to think of myself as a liberal thinker with friends across a wide spectrum of Christianity and Judaism..... however after reading about Terry Kelly and his plans to "Fly the black flag of Islam over Daíl Eireann" (see interview in Irish Times Weekend some years back) ..... It has open my eyes to the agenda. We definitely need to tighten up on handing out passports and more importantly citizenship."

That's what it looks like.

"I like to think of myself as a liberal thinker with friends across a wide spectrum of Christianity and Judaism..... however after reading about Terry Kelly and his plans to "Fly the black flag of Islam over Daíl Eireann" (see interview in Irish Times Weekend some years back) ..... It has open my eyes to the agenda. We definitely need to tighten up on handing out passports and more importantly citizenship."

That's what it looks like.

Do you even respect what it is to have irish citizenship? Men and women with more fire in their bellies than anyone who posts on here especially you died less than 100 years ago so that we the Irish people could have our own passport.

I for one do not like to see the passport of our nation handed over to individuals who may use the Irish flag to carry out crimes which result in the deaths of innocents on a scale similar to the London Bali or New York loss of life when a supposed religious organisation/terrorist cell wish to try and get some point across about their spaghetti space God in the sky.

Now if that means we are a bit more strict on who we give over our passports to than I am all for that and if that makes me a racist in certain eyes I can live with it as the safety of my family comes ahead of everything and everybody and if it keeps the black flag of Islam down and out of my Ireland all the better. My wife and daughter are not going to live under caveman type laws to satisfy people like that or you mate.

Do you even respect what it is to have irish citizenship? Men and women with more fire in their bellies than anyone who posts on here especially you died less than 100 years ago so that we the Irish people could have our own passport..

Republicans? O I wouldn't know about that sort of thing.
    I for one do not like to see the passport of our nation handed over to individuals who may use the Irish flag to carry out crimes which result in the deaths of innocents on a scale similar to the London Bali or New York loss of life when a supposed religious organisation/terrorist cell wish to try and get some point across about their spaghetti space God in the sky..

That's great. However the person referred to in the post was an Irish national and gets a passport as a birthright.
    Now if that means we are a bit more strict on who we give over our passports to than I am all for that and if that makes me a racist in certain eyes I can live with it as the safety of my family comes ahead of everything and everybody and if it keeps the black flag of Islam down and out of my Ireland all the better. My wife and daughter are not going to live under caveman type laws to satisfy people like that or you mate.

As above.

By the way, I am not your "mate".

Republicans? O I wouldn't know about that sort of thing.

That's great. However the person referred to in the post was an Irish national and gets a passport as a birthright.

As above.

By the way, I am not your "mate".

Republicans? Well if that is what you wish to call it. But I call it pride in my nation and the brave people who laid down their lives to allow us this freedom. A freedom which your Muslim mates would take away from us for not sharing their view I might add.

Anyone who goes off to get involved in a conflict in a foreign land should lose any right to the honour of Irish citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I for one do not like to see the passport of our nation handed over to individuals who may use the Irish flag to carry out crimes which result in the deaths of innocents on a scale similar to the London Bali or New York loss of life when a supposed religious organisation/terrorist cell wish to try and get some point across about their spaghetti space God in the sky.

I for one do not like to see one of our nations airports being allowed to be used by rogue states who may use freedom, democracy, or spaghetti space Gods in the sky to murder little black children and carry out all sorts of crimes which result in the deaths of innocents on a large scale, because they wish to try and get some point across, or over turn a government who won't jump to their tune.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Republicans? Well if that is what you wish to call it. But I call it pride in my nation and the brave people who laid down their lives to allow us this freedom. A freedom which your Muslim mates would take away from us for not sharing their view I might add.

like the west does to them.
    Anyone who goes off to get involved in a conflict in a foreign land should lose any right to the honour of Irish citizenship.

they don't and they can't. they are irish. irish people can't be stripped of their citizenship, as ireland is responsible for them. by refusing to take that responsibility, we legitimize them going off to fight in foreign conflicts, as we are saying someone else should be responsible for them, and were happy to do nothing.

All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I for one do not like to see one of our nations airports being allowed to be used by rogue states who may use freedom, democracy, or spaghetti space Gods in the sky to murder little black children and carry out all sorts of crimes which result in the deaths of innocents on a large scale, because they wish to try and get some point across, or over turn a government who won't jump to their tune.

That's right. Syria is a meat grinder. Like Spain was made all those years ago. And we're letting the suppliers of those arms go, western and eastern without a peep.

Noblong wrote: »
    That's right. Syria is a meat grinder. Like Spain was made all those years ago. And we're letting the suppliers of those arms go, western and eastern without a peep.
    just like the sespit america, who i was actually referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

just like the sespit america, who i was actually referring to

I know. Making Rome drive around the long way though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Do you even respect what it is to have irish citizenship? Men and women with more fire in their bellies than anyone who posts on here especially you died less than 100 years ago so that we the Irish people could have our own passport.

What does this have to do with Ibrahim Halawa. Are you aware that he was born and raised here and is a citizen. Makes him every bit as Irish as you 'mate'

What does this have to do with Ibrahim Halawa. Are you aware that he was born and raised here and is a citizen. Makes him every bit as Irish as you 'mate'

Why is he a dual citizen then? What was the motivation behind taking out (or someone taking out on his behalf) citizenship in another country?

I only ask because my parents moved here from abroad and my kids were born abroad but I never held anything other than an Irish passport and my kids have never held anything other than Irish passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I would'nt see it as having much to do with Ibrahim Halawa at all.

Over any given period of time,Irish citizens are being arrested and locked up for a wide range of crimes in countries worldwide.

Young master Halawa and his siblings made a decision to engage in protest against a foriegn administration in the full knowledge that such protest carries far more repercussions than similar displays in Ireland.

Even allowing for this,the Irish Consular services have made full representations at all levels,successfully in the case of the other Halawa children,but so far unsuccessful in the case of Ibrahim,who it has to be said,has demonstrated a somewhat beligerent attitude of his own almost as if he wanted the Diplomatic Efforts to fail.

The Irish Ambassador to Egypt has far more pressing work to attend to in furtherance of Irish interests.

One could ask how many other Irish Passport holders are currently in Egypt,getting on with their business,who might have to be moved aside in the queue for Consular time as Ibrahim Halawa remains top-of-the list ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Maybe those posting here with some closer knowledge of the situation can answer as to whether he travelled on his Irish or Egyptian passport?

In other words was he travelling as an Egyptian citizen on that passport and only decided to become a paddy once the poo started hitting the fan? Is he only Irish when it suits him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement