Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It appears that England has the capability to revoke citizenship, does that law exist here?
    A British-born father and three of his sons, all accused of being Islamist extremists with ties to al-Qaeda, have been exiled by Theresa May because of the threat to national security.
    They are believed to be the first British family to be collectively stripped of their citizenship since Mrs May took over in 2010 and the father said the decision was 'tearing our family apart'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2864371/Theresa-exiles-British-born-family-daughter-went-fight-jihadists-Syria.html#ixzz3LHICpi7b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Yep.
    —(1) The Minister may revoke a certificate of naturalisation if he is satisfied—

(a) that the issue of the certificate was procured by fraud, misrepresentation whether innocent or fraudulent, or concealment of material facts or circumstances, or

(b) that the person to whom it was granted has, by any overt act, shown himself to have failed in his duty of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State, or

(c) that (except in the case of a certificate of naturalisation which is issued to a person of Irish descent or associations) the person to whom it is granted has been ordinarily resident outside Ireland (otherwise than in the public service) for a continuous period of seven years and without reasonable excuse has not during that period registered annually in the prescribed manner his name and a declaration of his intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister, or

(d) that the person to whom it is granted is also, under the law of a country at war with the State, a citizen of that country, or

(e) that the person to whom it is granted has by any voluntary act other than marriage acquired another citizenship.

(2) Before revocation of a certificate of naturalisation the Minister shall give such notice as may be prescribed to the person to whom the certificate was granted of his intention to revoke the certificate, stating the grounds therefor and the right of that person to apply to the Minister for an inquiry as to the reasons for the revocation.

(3) On application being made in the prescribed manner for an inquiry under subsection (2) the Minister shall refer the case to a Committee of Inquiry appointed by the Minister consisting of a chairman having judicial experience and such other persons as the Minister may think fit, and the Committee shall report their findings to the Minister.

(4) Where there is entered in a certificate of naturalisation granted to a person under the Act of 1935 the name of any child of that person, such entry shall for the purposes of this Act be deemed to be a certificate of naturalisation under the Act of 1935.

(5) A certificate of naturalisation granted or deemed under subsection (4) to have been granted under the Act of 1935 may be revoked in accordance with the provisions of this section and, upon such revocation, the person concerned shall cease to be an Irish citizen.

(6) Notice of the revocation of a certificate of naturalisation shall be published in Iris Oifigiúil.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0026/sec0019.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Yep.

Big difference here. Your quoted text only covers naturalised citizens, not those born in the state.
    The family in the dailymail link were all born in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Nodin wrote: »
    So after reading the rantings of an Irish born eejit, you think its time to clamp down on the foreigners......right so.

Not on Foreigners. I have many "Foreign" friends and business people who I actively choose to trade with. I wouldnt go to anyone to cut my hair only my Turkish barber. He doesnt start spouting the Koran to me...... He cuts my hair and that is all. The french Cheeses supplier? My two friends are south Africans (Dutch Boers) working for IT companies. One of my German friends is married to a Slovenian girl. Many many foreign nationals here enrich our culture, live in peace with their neighbours and conduct legitimate trade.

We need more Mosques like we need Papal Nuncio's from Rome.

No dont clamp down on all foreigners, just the ones are taking advantage of Irish passport and/or citizenship to travel in the guise of peaceful travellers, when their real mission is to subvert states outside the EU that we are engaging in legitimate trade with and maintaining peaceful relations with. I have no problem with Passports being unable to be processed for the likes of Father Neil Horan(competing on Xfactor,running onto Silverstone, sabotaging the Olympics), Gerry Adams or any priest who comes to the special attention of either the Guards for bulk buying of Alarm clocks (Father Pat Ryan) or wanting to go visit Thailand for the new year.

I for one would love to visit Egypt for its wealth of history and culture and holiday resorts.

Terry Kelly or Khalid or what ever he wants to call himself isn't an idiot. He is a highly trained experienced nurse who is highly motivated....not my opinion other people have taken an interest in him.

Republicans? Well if that is what you wish to call it. But I call it pride in my nation and the brave people who laid down their lives to allow us this freedom. A freedom which your Muslim mates would take away from us for not sharing their view I might add.

Anyone who goes off to get involved in a conflict in a foreign land should lose any right to the honour of Irish citizenship.

No, I dont think you need to describe yourself as a flag waving "republican" to have pride in your nationality. Nationalist...? better word? Maybe? Pride in our culture, academic achievements in the Arts and Science, Peacekeepers at home and abroad, diplomatic contributions to the UN security council. A lot of things to be proud of more good than bad, more happy than sad but definitely "No smaller Nation has contributed more" ....John F. Kennedy

We have had a long struggle not only to get independence and a much harder one to maintain peace and prosperous trade with our neighbours. You are sadly mistaken if our island is going to be used as a Safe house in the EU for Persons of Special Interest.

I for one immensely enjoy the privilege of holding a neutral passport (rivalled only by the Swiss, New Zealanders and Canadians and a few others), when I pass through an Airport and the immigration officer shows no particular interest. Then to have these individual taint our passports.

Many people who do leave Ireland to fight often get another passport in return. How ever those who fought in Spain on the Red side gave up their passports up to the soviet advisors for safe keeping which were returned to Moscow and reissued to Soviet spies NKVD for international travel.

We need to start examing Passports and citizenship. Circa 1986 General Michael Collins Grandniece couldn't get Irish citizenship for her Canadian husband. yet we are handing it out for all and sundry. We definitely need tighter rules on Citizenship and why people get passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

smurfjed wrote: »
    It appears that England has the capability to revoke citizenship, does that law exist here?
    yeah, heard about that case last night. "national security" me arse. trying to appeal to UKIP voters most likely. the government won't release whatever evidence it has, nor will it allow these people to fight these accusations, so i suspect they are making up nonsense now to look tough

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I have many "Foreign" friends and business people

they always do. funny that.

they always do. funny that.

??? Who is "They"? and why is it "funny" to have foreign friends in a metropolitan area?

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

??? Who is "They"? and why is it "funny" to have foreign friends in a metropolitan area?

:rolleyes:

Lads are looking to label you a racist.

Lads are looking to label you a racist.

Well good luck with that.. had loads of couchsurfers that stayed in my home and work mates from Poland say I am a stand up guy.

So we are going to indulge in a spot of Paddy bashing? I am not Xenophobic but as for BS and taking advantage of our country and using the PC brigade? That is well out of order.

• Advertisement

the PC brigade

who are they? who is their head? where is their headquarters? oh, they don't exist, i get it now

They are all in an office below the Racist, in the same building as the Civil Liberties and Their head is Commander of Knights of Columbanus ......

Cant wait for the 30 year rule to be up on this guy and see his Garda file.....

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

seenitall wrote: »
    Also, for "edited to add".

That's just ridiculous for so many reasons. Why can't you just say "Edit: " like everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

CAIRO: Egypt’s top prosecutor referred 439 people to military tribunals on Saturday for acts of violence including the killing of three policemen last year.
    Security officials said that one group was 139 men he described as hard-liners from the southern province of Minya, while another was comprised of 300 from the Nile Delta province of Beheira.
    The cases involve last year’s wave of violence that came in retaliation to a bloody police dispersal of a sit-in. In October, Egypt’s President Abdel-Fattah El-Sissi ordered the military to join forces with police in guarding vital state institutions. The decree stipulated that perpetrators of any attacks against state facilities would be tried in front of military tribunals.
    Human Rights Watch said Egypt’s military courts “lack even the shaky due process guarantees provided by regular courts.” Earlier this month, 188 people were sentenced to death on charges of killing 11 policemen.

I'm not sure if this is the same group or prisoners that the Irish guy is with, but it doesn't look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yes, and as already explained Under international law, a State may not give consular assistance to one of its nationals if he or she is in a country whose citizenship that person also holds.

And despite this the Irish ambassador still managed to negotiate a deal to get him out which he rejected.

Is there a link for the deal that the Irish Ambassador got for him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Is there a link for the deal that the Irish Ambassador got for him??

From the Irish Times story
    Irish Ambassador Isolde Moylan managed to obtain a safe passage out of the mosque where Mr Halawa and his three sisters - Somaia (28), Fatima (23), and Omaima (21)- were trapped and their exit to Ireland. However, they refused and were arrested.

The three sisters were held for three months, released, and permitted to return to Ireland. They refuse to return to Egypt to face trial but Mr Halawa has re mained in detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

I believe he stayed in the mosque because there were concerns that once the foreign nationals had left the mosque the Egyptian army would simply storm it and kill most of those inside.

A heroic act and something I hope will be recognized when he returns home to Ireland.

From the Irish Times story
    he was able to get a passage for the sisters to get out, they were arrested but released later. he wasn't able to get safe passage for the brother however. just as i thought

he was able to get a passage for the sisters to get out, they were arrested but released later. he wasn't able to get safe passage for the brother however. just as i thought

I think the ambassador is female.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Putinovsky wrote: »
    A heroic act and something I hope will be recognized when he returns home to Ireland.

Heroic? Yeah right :rolleyes: He was just trying to look like a big man to his islamist buddies.

His home is Egypt and he should stay there, we have no need for islamic extremists here, the country is better off without him.

• Advertisement

No my reading of it is that the ambassador arranged for the brother to be released as well, as he was in the mosque at the time (apparantly!!!)
    Irish Ambassador Isolde Moylan managed to obtain a safe passage out of the mosque where Mr Halawa and his three sisters - Somaia (28), Fatima (23), and Omaima (21)- were trapped and their exit to Ireland. However, they refused and were arrested.

“This is unacceptable. Amnesty International’s researchers have conducted a thorough examination of the case [and] established that he is entirely innocent of the crimes with which he is being charged” as he was not “at the location of the alleged shooting [but] locked...in the sancturary of the Al-Fath mosque,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/cairo-trial-of-irish-teen-ibrahim-halawa-postponed-until-january-1.2021478

Anyways, I don't feel one bit sorry for them. They went looking for trouble and they found it. As they have dual citizenship the Irish State should wash their hands of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

He was able to get a passage for the sisters to get out, they were arrested but released later. he wasn't able to get safe passage for the brother however. just as i thought

The Irish Ambassador's negotiated agreement with the Egyptian Authorities covered the holder of Irish Passports inside the Mosque.

Ibrahim was covered by the arrangement,however for whatever reasons they preferred to remain on message with the other protesters.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He's only Irish when he finds himself in trouble. He wanted to go playing in Egypt and was caught. He should suffer the consequences like the other Egyptians.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

lertsnim wrote: »
    He's only Irish when he finds himself in trouble. He wanted to go playing in Egypt and was caught. He should suffer the consequences like the other Egyptians.

What are you talking about? He was born in Ireland and has lived here all his life. How is he not Irish?

Oh wait, I get it :rolleyes:

lertsnim wrote: »

The main disadvantage with dual citizenship is that if you **** up in one of the countries where you hold citizenship the other country cannot help you.
    Disadvantages of Dual Nationality

International laws restrain the exercise of dual citizenship. The United Kingdom government cannot afford you protection once you are in a country where you are also a national. This is certain when you have become a British citizen and you plan to visit your former country.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/immigration-law/dual-nationality.htm

What are you talking about? He was born in Ireland and has lived here all his life. How is he not Irish?

He's not Irish in the eyes of the Eygption authorities as he holds dual citizenship.

I think the ambassador is female.......
    fair enough, but my point still stands

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He was associated with The Muslim Brotherhood, I think you will find he will have very little support if/when he comes back here.

We don't want to become another Britain which has major problems with radical Muslims.

Heroic? Yeah right He was just trying to look like a big man to his islamist buddies.

His home is Egypt and he should stay there, we have no need for islamic extremists here, the country is better off without him.
    he was born in ireland, therefore his home is ireland and he is an irish citizen. he is a hero who has only commited a heroic act. and lets not forget you supported extremism from the israely government in murdering men women and children left right and centre.

• Advertisement

.....and has been explained repeatedly we should not even been involved in his case......we cannot provide consular assistance to someone holding dual citizenship when they are in the other country.

It's great that we are, but if this is his 'home' the why take out the second passport?

And did he travel as an Irish citizen or did he travel as an Egyptian citizen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement