Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

thats a good point and one that Wright seems to have missed in his extensive reading. Young Ibrahim was offered safe passage out of the country and a flight home. this was negotiated by the irish ambassador. he declined this offer and decided to be a martyr. his two

If this person has been afforded a way out then he chose to stay there, his choice, leave him if that's the case. I wonder if the terms weren't great though; jumping to the martyr idea again reeks of Islamaphobia; just because you won't mention being islamaphobic doesn't mean you aren't; prejudiced people rarely come out with it.

No it does not.

Got video of him in this riot?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wright wrote: »
    If this person has been afforded a way out then leave him there, his choice. I wonder if the terms weren't great though; jumping to the martyr idea again reeks of Islamaphobia; just because you won't mention being islamaphobic doesn't mean you aren't; prejudiced people rarely come out with it.

he was offered a way out. he refused to take it. this is well documented in the rest of the thread you havent read yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If this person has been afforded a way out then leave him there, his choice. I wonder if the terms weren't great though; jumping to the martyr idea again reeks of Islamaphobia; just because you won't mention being islamaphobic doesn't mean you aren't; prejudiced people rarely come out with it.

Ask his guardian why he wanted him to stay in Egypt ? He was a minor when detained and had to get Guardians permission to accept the deal.

Got video of him in this riot?

read the rest of the thread. the links are there. we cant do everything for you.

• Advertisement

Ask his guardian why he wanted him to stay in Egypt ? He was a minor when detained and had to get Guardians permission to accept the deal.

and by Guardian you mean his father.

read the rest of the thread. the links are there. we cant do everything for you.

There is no video of him engaging in riots, is there.

There is no video of him engaging in riots, is there.

there is video of him inciting violence. "Fight to the last bullet" is, i believe, one of the phrases he used.

there is video of him inciting violence. "Fight to the last bullet" is, i believe, one of the phrases he used.

"streets running red" as well.

that was a good bit as well.

• Advertisement

I like the part where he rode a unicorn, myself.

I like the part where he rode a unicorn, myself.

so we are all just making it up? go away and live in your own fantasy land so.

so we are all just making it up? go away and live in your own fantasy land so.

I think a poster came on to toss out that "Wacism" card.

were they a wascally wabbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

"...This Is Now An Islamic Matter"
    Was another of his quips, while keeping the police at bay during the Mosque stand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is it somewhat ironic that someone who was fighting to empower an intolerant islamic group, has supporters that are now shouting about an intolerant islamic legal system?

Anyway, this is from Wiki...
    The judicial system (or judicial branch) in Egypt, is an independent branch of the government which includes both secular and religious courts.

The Egyptian judicial system is based on European and primarily French legal concepts and methods.

The legal code is derived largely from the Napoleonic Code. Marriage and personal status are primarily based on the religious law of the individual concerned. Thus, there are three forms of family law in Egypt: Islamic, Christian, and secular (based on the French family laws).

smurfjed wrote: »
    Is it somewhat ironic that someone who was fighting to empower an intolerant islamic group, has supporters that are now shouting about an intolerant islamic legal system?

Anyway, this is from Wiki...

and not in any way that alanis morrissette would understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

The more i read here the more i believe we are better off without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

K.Flyer wrote: »
    "...This Is Now An Islamic Matter"
    Was another of his quips, while keeping the police at bay during the Mosque stand off.

"Egypt is my country" was my favourite part

Islamaphobic, at least get your prejudice right.

I've believed and said lots of things in my life that I'd consider now to be less than smart; in particular when I was in my teens like this individual. I deserve to rot in a middle eastern prison for none of it. Now, yer man has opted to stay there, so that's on him; but realistically we don't know how this deal came about? Was he told to sign a letter admitting he started the whole thing in exchange for release, which he feared would then be used against him? We just don't know.

• Advertisement

I've believed and said lots of things in my life that I'd consider now to be less than smart; in particular when I was in my teens like this individual. I deserve to rot in a middle eastern prison for none of it. Now, yer man has opted to stay there, so that's on him; but realistically we don't know how this deal came about? Was he told to sign a letter admitting he started the whole thing in exchange for release, which he feared would then be used against him? We just don't know.

Nope his guardian refused to sign up for the deal. It was a return To Ireland deal. We do know he refused and his Guardian also refused to sign the paper. Have you gone to another country and stirred up trouble ?

leave it out. you're just trying to make excuses for him.

We do know he refused and his Guardian also refused to sign the paper.

Source please.

Of course the guardian is involved, he learned this hateful nonsense from somewhere. He can unlearn it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Source please.

Of course the guardian is involved, he learned this hateful nonsense from somewhere. He can unlearn it though.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184204/1

There's a source. If you read through that you might have a clue what your talking about.

Source please.

I dunno he's looking at a long stretch with his MB mates.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184204/1

There's a source. If you read through that you might have a clue what your talking about.

Stop embarrasing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I say we send you in armed with a stapler. Preferably thrown out of a helicopter a few yards from the prison.

Failing that, how its always done. Diplomacy, embassies, phone calls...

Firstly,it's always good to see people returning to the country,so welcome Wright.

Secondly,just to dispel the Halawa Sisters notion that the Irish Government has not been providing appropriate representation to their brother....

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/press-release-archive/2015/july/minister-flanagan-statement-on-halawa-case/
    I share the Committee’s concern about the length of time that Ibrahim Halawa has now spent in detention, and I have raised these concerns at the highest level with the Egyptian authorities. I am also concerned by reports about the prison conditions and, where allegations of mistreatment have been made, my Department has taken the appropriate action. Since his arrest in August 2013, Ibrahim has been visited a total of 42 times by Embassy officials. This unprecedented level of consular visitation indicates clearly the priority we are placing on doing all that we can to carefully monitor his welfare in detention, and to advocate strongly on his behalf to the Egyptian authorities.

Ibrahim Halawa has recieved a level of consular assistance far in excess of what many others were given.

Mr Halawa's sisters,who appear to be the ONLY spokespersons for the family,have continually and stridently attempted to demean the work done by Isolde Moylan and Charlie Flanagan for their brother.

There remains a significant question as to why the deal,facilitated by Ms Moylan,which would have allowed Mr Halawa to leave the country,was repudiated at the last minute without any explanation being proffered by the Halawa Sisters.

As to the thread-title,it is now accepted that Mr Halawa does NOT face charges which carry the Death penalty...

The new Egyptian ambassador to Ireland,Ms Gendi has clarified quite a bit of the situation surrounding this issue....however,her statements appear to be of less note to the Irish Media than the well reported outpourings from the Halawa sisters...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/egypt-rules-out-special-treatment-for-irish-teenager-31211355.html
    It is understood the matter also arose in discussions when Ms Gendi presented her credentials to President Michael D Higgins last month.

While some of those being held will face charges for murder and other serious offences, the Irish Independent has learned Halawa will face lesser charges. Sources said the charges he faces are of being present at the mosque, deliberately travelling to the mosque for the protest, barricading the mosque from the inside and not accepting safe passage out of the mosque.

Ms Gendi claimed that the then-Irish ambassador to Egypt, Isolde Moylan, had negotiated safe passage from the mosque for Halawa and his three sisters.

"They should have accepted the safe haven they were offered," said Ms Gendi.

Halawa's sister Somaia (29) confirmed that embassy officials had told them by phone that their safe passage from the mosque had been guaranteed.

The extent to which these Egypto-Irish siblings embraced the Muslim Brotherhood's campaign is not in doubt.

The surving video,although long,does clearly show the level of intent borne by these individuals and the calls-to-arms which they so loudly made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cn09s-Fq5s

Mr Halawa is in a situation almost entirely of his own making,although ably assisted by his Sisters.

The lack of any comment by his Father,the Imam is both unusual and on a human scale worrying,as it would appear to endorse the claims of those who see a Jihadist tinge to this family's doings thus far.

Mr Halawa is indeed lucky to have held an Irish Passport,and to have had a Government willing to go to the extra mile for him.

There are few Western Democracies today,who would be prepared to seek clemency for somebody so stridently opposed to the very ideals their adoptive homeland exists under.

With a bit of luck this mans trial will finally get underway in October,perhaps after Mr Halawa's sisters return home,to answer their own bail ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Firstly,it's always good to see people returning to the country,so welcome Wright.

Secondly,just to dispel the Halawa Sisters notion that the Irish Government has not been providing appropriate representation to their brother....

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/press-releases/press-release-archive/2015/july/minister-flanagan-statement-on-halawa-case/

Ibrahim Halawa has recieved a level of consular assistance far in excess of what many others were given.

Mr Halawa's sisters,who appear to be the ONLY spokespersons for the family,have continually and stridently attempted to demean the work done by Isolde Moylan and Charlie Flanagan for their brother.

There remains a significant question as to why the deal,facilitated by Ms Moylan,which would have allowed Mr Halawa to leave the country,was repudiated at the last minute without any explanation being proffered by the Halawa Sisters.

As to the thread-title,it is now accepted that Mr Halawa does NOT face charges which carry the Death penalty...

The new Egyptian ambassador to Ireland,Ms Gendi has clarified quite a bit of the situation surrounding this issue....however,her statements appear to be of less note to the Irish Media than the well reported outpourings from the Halawa sisters...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/egypt-rules-out-special-treatment-for-irish-teenager-31211355.html

The extent to which these Egypto-Irish siblings embraced the Muslim Brotherhood's campaign is not in doubt.

The surving video,although long,does clearly show the level of intent borne by these individuals and the calls-to-arms which they so loudly made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cn09s-Fq5s

Mr Halawa is in a situation almost entirely of his own making,although ably assisted by his Sisters.

The lack of any comment by his Father,the Imam is both unusual and on a human scale worrying,as it would appear to endorse the claims of those who see a Jihadist tinge to this family's doings thus far.

Mr Halawa is indeed lucky to have held an Irish Passport,and to have had a Government willing to go to the extra mile for him.

There are few Western Democracies today,who would be prepared to seek clemency for somebody so stridently opposed to the very ideals their adoptive homeland exists under.

With a bit of luck this mans trial will finally get underway in October,perhaps after Mr Halawa's sisters return home,to answer their own bail ?

Good luck on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

That infantile, whiny adjective "Islamophobia" rears it's ugly head again. Is that the default response from overtly left wingers now whenever people of Arab, Persian or turkic persuasion are criticized or something?

It's a good indication to stop taking a person seriously in an argument when that empty accusation gets thrown about.

• Advertisement

That infantile, whiny adjective "Islamophobia" rears it's ugly head again. Is that the default response from overtly left wingers now whenever people of Arab, Persian or turkic persuasion are criticized or something?

It's a good indication to stop taking a person seriously in an argument when that empty accusation gets thrown about.

Sure why don't we Invite the MB over for a chat they seem like a tolerant lot, I'm sure they would have supported the vote on Marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement