Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Some people here with strong feelings about this...not sure what his sisters weight has to do with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Some people here with strong feelings about this...not sure what his sisters weight has to do with it though

Strong feelings bearing on
    1-the farce that this truly is
    2-the acceptance by the government that this individual is free from any guilt in wrongdoing in his home country
    3- the zealous nature of Sinn Fein to have the individual brought back to Ireland regardless of any crime he may have committed
    4- the blinkered view supporters of this chap have of the situation in Egypt where the government are drowning in lawlessness and the threat of militant groups
    5- the failure of supporters to make the connection between the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS
    6- the disparity in the help given to this person and help given or lack thereof of hundreds of others like the chap mentioned in the above post in Spain
    7- the flawed belief that he took part in a peaceful protest and had very little part to play
    8- the interference of the Irish government in the natural judicial process in Egypt .
    9- the cost of the numerous visits to him in jail and the propaganda style video posted by Sinn Fein without any tangebile evidence to prove their claims of the conditions in captivity
    10- the untruths and conflicting accounts he has given regarding his participation ,actions and the assistance he has be not given following his arrest.

Emotions need to be removed and focus on the facts of the case .
    He took part in a demonstration to try and push the return of the head of the Muslim Brotherhood who are known to have militant views
    He therefore by aligning himself with this group is classed as a militant
    He is facing trial for this and nothing else more than likely a charge of attempting to destabilise the government .
    It was attempted in Bahrain and was quashed
    The Egyptians are no different and for us to think we can foist our Western ideals on Middle Eastern countries is why the area is in the abyss they currently find themselves in .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

2-the acceptance by the government that this individual is free from any guilt in wrongdoing in his home country
    3- the zealous nature of Sinn Fein to have the individual brought back to Ireland regardless of any crime he may have committed
    4- the blinkered view supporters of this chap have of the situation in Egypt where the government are drowning in lawlessness and the threat of militant groups
    5- the failure of supporters to make the connection between the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS
    6- the disparity in the help given to this person and help given or lack thereof of hundreds of others like the chap mentioned in the above post in Spain
    7- the flawed belief that he took part in a peaceful protest and had very little part to play
    8- the interference of the Irish government in the natural judicial process in Egypt .
    9- the cost of the numerous visits to him in jail and the propaganda style video posted by Sinn Fein without any tangebile evidence to prove their claims of the conditions in captivity
    10- the untruths and conflicting accounts he has given regarding his participation ,actions and the assistance he has be not given following his arrest.

He took part in a demonstration to try and push the return of the head of the Muslim Brotherhood who are known to have militant views
    He is facing trial for this and nothing else more than likely a charge of attempting to destabilise the government .
    The Egyptians are no different and for us to think we can foist our Western ideals on Middle Eastern countries is why the area is in the abyss they currently find themselves in .
    or he's a misguided teen and deserves a 2nd chance

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no no . he spouted nonsense on a video, and the egyptian government are the definition of freedom and democracy. that and all the other factors make this chap automatically guilty regardless. it is laughible though, how people seem to take the word of such a government but there you go

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

no no . he spouted nonsense on a video, and the egyptian government are the definition of freedom and democracy. that and all the other factors make this chap automatically guilty regardless. it is laughible though, how people seem to take the word of such a government but there you go

A government that is more aware of what is happening in Egypt than you or I know but one is probably better off taking his word for it and supporting MB

That group are great fun and are a laugh a minute I'm sure .

• Advertisement

This isn't a guy who stole his mothers car and drove into town for a few drinks looking for a second chance

As regarding misguided He was well versed in the group that is MB hence he packed his bags to support them
    You can excuse all the misguided teens (15 year olds)who recently marched 10 Iraqi soldiers to a pit and shot them for the ISIS cause if we are to look at this your way .
    Responsibility and accountability .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

it is laughible though, how people seem to take the word of such a government but there you go

Do you want to know what is really laughable? That our media believe every word that the Halawa sisters say and print it as fact. Is he still on hunger strike? Hows the untreated gunshot wound in his hand? How's his defective heart that requires surgery?

A government that is more aware of what is happening in Egypt than you or I know but one is probably better off taking his word for it and supporting MB

That group are great fun and are a laugh a minute I'm sure .

i'd take his word over a government charging 400 people at the same time on the same charge TBH
    This isn't a guy who stole his mothers car and drove into town for a few drinks looking for a second chance

he may as well be.
    As regarding misguided He was well versed in the group that is MB hence he packed his bags to support them

he was also a dum teenager. means nothing.
    You can excuse all the misguided teens (15 year olds)who recently marched 10 Iraqi soldiers to a pit and shot them for the ISIS cause if we are to look at this your way .
    Responsibility and accountability .

he has nothing to be Responsible or accountable for. spouting some nonsense in a speech means nothing. and being charged along with 400 others in a court, definitely the actions of a free democratic government.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

i'd take his word over a government charging 400 people at the same time on the same charge TBH

he may as well be.

he was also a dum teenager. means nothing.

he has nothing to be Responsible or accountable for. spouting some nonsense in a speech means nothing. and being charged along with 400 others in a court, definitely the actions of a free democratic government.

Utterly idiotic fingers in the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

let him do whatever sentence he receives. 5 years or whatever and when he gets out, hopefully he will be rehabilitated and forget this militant nonsense and become a true irish citizen but i suspect that he never really wanted to be a true irish citizen.... the passport comes in handy though.

• Advertisement

i'd take his word over a government charging 400 people at the same time on the same charge tbh

The government you are criticising as undemocratic did in fact prevent a dictatorship from evolving under Morsi who stripped all powers from cabinet members and gave HIMSELF supreme rule
    The MB threatened judges to declare Morsi as the "elected" new leader

----30 million Egyptians called for Morsis removal.----

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The government you are criticising as undemocratic did in fact prevent a dictatorship from evolving under Morsi who stripped all powers from cabinet members and gave HIMSELF supreme rule
    The MB threatened judges to declare Morsi as the "elected" new leader

----30 million Egyptians called for Morsis removal.----

Pointless arguing with him. Like arguing with a 3 year old.

Pointless arguing with him. Like arguing with a 3 year old.

Pointless in that you can't argue with the facts presented or offer anything alternative of substance

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pointless in that you can't argue with the facts presented or offer anything alternative of substance

there are no facts to argue against. Its just nay, nay and thrice nay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Roger McAllen

Can somebody please send a link to these 10 points to Lynn Boylan's twitter page. I don't have a twitter account otherwise I'd do it myself. Her profile pic is her holding a "free Ibrahim Halawa" poster ffs. I'm not even joking. I was actually starting to believe Sinn Fein were a credible party with a few sound policies (seriously). They need to disassociate from this woman immediately if they want any seats in the upcoming election.

there are no facts to argue against. Its just nay, nay and thrice nay.

Ok Mister Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'd take his word over a Government charging 400 people at the same time on the same charge TBH

They're not doing that.
    There are a range of charges across the 400 accused.
    He may as well be.

It is of interest that Mr Hawalla and his Sisters were visiting his mother,who apparently resides in the "family home" in Cairo.

He was also a dumb teenager. Means nothing.

I find this portrayal of Mr Hawalla to be especially inaccurate,insulting even.According to the Hawala sisters,Ibrahim Hawalla is a well educated young man,who was about to enter UCD's Engineering Faculty.

Whether his family will be prepared to confirm your "Dumb teenager" diagnosis will be interesting.

He has nothing to be Responsible or accountable for. spouting some nonsense in a speech means nothing. and being charged along with 400 others in a court, definitely the actions of a free democratic government.

You are (yet again) incorrect on both accounts.

Mr Hawala AND his sisters not only attended a mass anti-government rally,but at some point decided to jointly address the gathering.

Their speeches indicate that they were advocating further action,with references to the "Spilling of Blood" most definitely bringing their contributions into the realms of responsibility and accountability,in ANY Country.

Whilst the current Egyptian Government may not represent what you or I would regard as "Democratic",it is perfectly normal for a region in which the process of democractic representation does not march to our drum beat.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The Egyptian nation is currently in the midst a death struggle against the forces of religious barbarism and Ireland has unthinkingly allied herself with the barbarians.

The ultimate irony is that in the type of society that Halawi campaigns to bring about the very people most vocal in supporting him would suffer most and first.

Ok Mister Ed

i love the way you responded to that with some facts. hilarious.

i love the way you responded to that with some facts. hilarious.

Neigh neigh neigh Mister Ed

• Advertisement

Neigh neigh neigh Mister Ed

you really are a constant source of hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Lads, cop on and keep it on topic. Post in a civil manner or don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just to make sure that people realise whats going on in Egypt these days.......
    Three policemen were wounded on Monday when a bomb exploded under a traffic sentry post near a Cairo court house, security sources said, in the latest in a series of attacks to hit the Egyptian capital.

Bomb disposal experts defused a second device they found inside a black bag while searching the area following the blast, state news agency MENA said.

Egyptian authorities have pledged to end a wave of Islamist militant violence that has swept across the country, but sporadic attacks on high-profile locations in the city and elsewhere have continued.

No one claimed immediate responsibility for Monday's explosion, which occurred in the affluent northeastern Heliopolis district and which a health ministry spokesman confirmed wounded three people.

I don't think that IH will be getting sympathy from the Egyptian population.
    CAIRO — The United States began Thursday delivery of eight F-16 fighter jets to Egypt, according to its embassy in Cairo, the first since Washington fully lifted in March a freeze on arms delivery.

Could this be payback for releasing the US citizen a few months ago?

you really are a constant source of hilarity.

The only hilarity is that your pinched mentality has you blindly supporting an individual who has supported a militant group and have no counter argument to any of the posts placed by me or anyone else who can see through the whole charade.

The only hilarity is that your pinched mentality has you blindly supporting an individual who has supported a militant group and have no counter argument to any of the posts placed by me or anyone else who can see through the whole charade.

i think you might want to actually read some of my posts. you seem to think i have been supporting young Ibrahim. nothing could be further from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Think you need to look up international law. In the eyes of the Egyptian legal system, he is recognised as an Egyptian citizen. It's down to the kindness of the Egyptians that the Irish consulate have any access to him at all.

If they wanted to the Egyptians could deny the Irish consulate any visits, or any information, and it would be perfectly legal and within their remit to do so.
    It just shows that the Egyptians want to be seen as fair in their dealings with the militant terrorists but they can't do right in some peoples eyes.
    Neither was it Under the MB they were in the process of giving the President absolute power. What one thinks of their legal system is ones right. But A person cannot go to a country incite violence then expect a Green shirt to get you out once you have been rumbled as a MB supporter. The video evidence has sunk him no need for anything else. We have laws here to do with inciting violence.

The MB are a terrorist organisation.
    As we were always told "When In Rome....." You follow the laws of the land you find yourself in or face their justice which might not be the cosy cushy number you expected!
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    :confused:whats your point? Dual citizens typically see themselves as having two homes. Immigrants the world over who settle in another country don't just turn their back on their heritage overnight.
    If you dirty your bib in one of your "dual" countries you get treated as a citizen of that country and can be denied any help or contact from consular or other officials of your other country, this is the way it has always been regardless of what the countries are or the colour of your religion or skin!
    no an irish citizen is being held in a country with an illegitimate government, where he has no chance of a fair just trial, but a trial based on mostly made up "evidence" to ensure a required verdict by that government
    They have no need to make up evidence, this man and his sisters have provided enough evidence to convict him and them and rightly so!
    no, he is technically irish Egyptian because he is technically irish Egyptian. he is as irish Egyptian as you and me, and one will accept it.

nonsense, its about being simply irish Egyptian regardless of whatever. irish Egyptian is irish Egyptian is irish Egyptian.

is it? have the government little interest?

so no more then they would do for any citizen including this chap?
    The Irish Government have done more for this terrorist and his family than all the other worthy causes together!

This waster is wasting good resources of the Irish department of foreign affairs that would be far better spent on far more worthy causes, he should not be seen again until after his trial when the Irish consul can ask for him to serve any sentence in an Irish prison
    Are we forgetting the video evidence now ? Recorded on their own devices ? If one only attended a protest why did they end up on stage as Guest speakers ?
    They were booked to appear at those rallys because they had speeches all prepared and expected to be speaking!
    You no who the Hawks are I'm not going to name names. But people like myself & "end of the road" believe in a little thing called diplomacy and think it should be used as soon as possible to bring this kid home to Dublin, the place he loves.
    A few years slopping out in "the Joy" will do him no harm at all!
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-man-held-in-spanish-jail-over-500kg-cocaine-discovery-released-after-two-years-31369312.html

And the Halawas have the nerve to accuse the government of ignoring their brothers case as he isn't ethnically Irish. He's received much more assistance and attention than most.
    More than he deserved!
    DeadHand wrote: »
    Political correctness has poisoned honest discourse in this country to the extent that our media and government are providing unconditional support for what is fundamentally a fascist.

The Irish Left, government and media have allied themselves with misogyny, homophobia and sectarianism in this case.
    These Muslim Brotherhood would murder half of us in our beds for our thoughts and beliefs and our western ways Civil Rights. The Homosexuals(Myself included) and adulterers would be first to be stoned to death!

Why has the iman of Clonskeagh not come out publicly against the Muslim Brotherhood?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Why has the iman of Clonskeagh not come out publicly against the Muslim Brotherhood?

They are ideological comrades.

Clonskeagh wishes to eventually impose the same type of religious tyranny on Ireland as the MB attempted to impose on Egypt.

We should all be grateful that the Egyptian people stood up against the forces of ignorance and intolerance despite the best efforts of the odious, lying Islamist Halawi and his equally abhorrent family.

These Muslim Brotherhood would murder half of us in our beds for our thoughts and beliefs and our western ways Civil Rights. The Homosexuals(Myself included) and adulterers would be first to be stoned to death!

Yet, the Irish Left backs this Islamist unconditionally and, by extension, his fascist comrades in the MB. They do this fresh from campaigning passionately for the Yes vote in the marriage referendum. Now they happily leap into bed with people who would not only deny homosexuals the right to marry but would have them swinging from the nearest lamppost.

Or thrown from a great height, to give them the treatment prescribed in Islam.

They have no need to make up evidence

yes they do
    this man and his sisters have provided enough evidence to convict him and them

no they haven't
    and rightly so!

not rightly so. they are not guilty
    The Irish Government have done more for this terrorist and his family than all the other worthy causes together!

the irish government have done what they can for this innocent boy.
    This waster is wasting good resources of the Irish department of foreign affairs that would be far better spent on far more worthy causes,

this innocent boy hasn't wasted any resources and his case is as worthy as the rest.
    he should not be seen again until after his trial when the Irish consul can ask for him to serve any sentence in an Irish prison

he should be seen as many times as is needed.
    A few years slopping out in "the Joy" will do him no harm at all!

not when he isn't guilty

why should he. plenty of us to criticize the muslim brotherhood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

yes they do

no they haven't

not rightly so. they are not guilty

the irish government have done what they can for this innocent boy.

this innocent boy hasn't wasted any resources and his case is as worthy as the rest.

he should be seen as many times as is needed.

not when he isn't guilty

why should he. plenty of us to criticize the muslim brotherhood

If one is going to keep saying this please give a Citation ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement