Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Halawa was in the Muslim Brotherhood, a prescribed terrorist organisation. His detention in a Cairo prison relates to his attempt to cause civil uprising. Now human rights groups want him released because they feel he is being treated unjustifiable harsh by the Egyptian authorities, this may very well be true and he should probable be released because human rights is not ideal in a prison in an Islamic country. This does not take away from the fact that he was working with terrorists, he was involved in terrorism and that the Egyptian gvt should arrest anyone who is involved in acts of terrorism.

and this is precisely nothing to do with the french et al selling weapons to saudis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

and this is precisely nothing to do with the french et al selling weapons to saudis.

I am merely pointing out our trade policies have an impact on Arab gvts. We continue to sell them weapons at the expense of human rights and we will see more cases of individuals like Halawa being found collaborating with terrorists. Ireland is a small country but if we really want to avoid similar cases stop doing business with countries that are human rights abusers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I am merely pointing out our trade policies have an impact on Arab gvts. We continue to sell them weapons at the expense of human rights and we will see more cases of individuals like Halawa being found collaborating with terrorists. Ireland is a small country but if we really want to avoid similar cases stop doing business with countries that are human rights abusers.

Yeah good luck with that we would end up eating grass pretty fast. Try not trading with China, USA, UK I can keep going.

Yeah good luck with that we would end up eating grass pretty fast. Try not trading with China, USA, UK I can keep going.

Britain and America are both democracies while China has made great strides in changing attitudes indeed many Arab countries before the uprisings had also made the transition to western orientated beliefs, the question is how far do you take it. Simple allow a mob descend on the street and call for President's and PM's to be murdered and replaced with Islamic law. Situations like this require a military to reign in protestors or rioters more like looking to cause more violence. The militaries in these countries go back to the formation of the states, the entire country in the case of Egypt value the army so it is ludicrous for us Western educated people to always believe the protestors are right in every case.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-11/europe-stands-up-to-saudi-arabia

Were part of the EU which trades extensively with vile rulers. Ireland does not sell weapons because we don't make weapons that can be sold but we are culpable by refusing to demand sanctions be placed on Saudi Arabia for funding Jihadi organisations.

ie we've nothing to do with selling weapons to Saudi Arabia. please give short, clear answers to direct questions this thread is already long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

If his name was Liam McCarthy (or anything similar )and his father was head of a Catholic organisation then it would be plastered all over the papers :(

mattP wrote: »
    If his name was Liam McCarthy (or anything similar )and his father was head of a Catholic organisation then it would be plastered all over the papers :(

If Liam McCarthy was in a drug gang then no it wouldn't people wouldn't care. Egyptian officers getting gunned down by terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not this rubbish again

he wouldnt have been fuppin over there askin for fuppin trouble then would he

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Well for a start, it is plastered all over the papers.

But then, let's imagine.

Let's imagine Breda O'Brien or David Quinn's son was arrested in California for, I don't know, public disorder, a hate crime and possession of a concealed weapon in a "gun free zone" for, while on his holidays, finding himself in the middle of a bunch of Christian fundamentalist zealots during an invasion of a gay wedding, and held on remand pending the posting of a ridiculous bail sum (a very common occurrence in the US, as bail for even relatively minor offences such as assault and low level drug dealing is often at least in the five figures).

Let us also imagine that during the invasion of the gay wedding, a TV crew showed up, and the young chap rants some stuff about the wedding being against the democratic public opinion of some states, and that the fight is now in God's hands or some such waffle.

Then imagine that after all of this, his sisters say he just happened to be in the vicinity of the protest, and make up a load of shyte that completely falls apart once the TV crew air their footage.

Would you care?

Would Amnesty care?

Would you, or Amnesty, care about the arrest and detention pending trial of the son of a right wing religious homophobe?

If you wouldn't, ask yourself why you care so much about the son of a right wing religious fundamentalist who, if I was to bet my last euro, wasn't proposing the introduction of same sex marriage in Egypt nor in Ireland.

Do you have a racial preference for the sons of brown skinned right wing homophobic religious zealots, and a dislike of the sons of white, right wing fundamentalist homophobic zealots?

Are you a racist MattP?

• Advertisement

The terrorists in South Carolina sported the Rhodesia and Confederate flags as he murdered innocent civilians. Terrorists everywhere are the same, lock them up where they can't cause violence. Were being asked to believe these guys were promoting democracy in Cairo. I find that hard to imagine given that we know he supported the Muslim Brotherhood and had no intention of obeying the laws of the land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

I would actually go out on a limb here and tell his piece of shyt sisters this about their moaning about the lack of government attention to their cause.

In the last 20 years the only other prominent cases of Irish citizens imprisoned abroad that I can recall were the Colombia Three, Roisin McAliskey in Germany and Michaela McAlorum.

The Colombia Three were big news because of when it happened in the peace process, and because the location of their capture raised questions as to exactly what the attitude of the PIRA towards drug trafficking really was.

If I recall correctly Roisin McAliskey was pregnant when she was arrested in Germany. Quite a few IRA male members have been arrested before and since on the European mainland with fuuck all news coverage.

With Michaela McAlorum, she not only became famous before her arrest because she was missing presumed dead, but she is also a bit of a looker, which meant her story was more interesting than it would have been if it was only her fairly homely Scottish friend who had been arrested.

I would tell his sisters that apart from Michaela McAlorum this clown Ibrahim has had more government help and media support than the other three combined (primarily because number one he is "new Irish" and the government love to be seeing to be all good on that end, and secondly that the Dail never fancied involving itself with republicans knee deep in drug trafficking)

Seen this was being discussed AGAIN on Dail TV in relation to sending over a delegation and the whole 9 yards. Getting a bit ridiculous at this stage how much has been spent so far ? I mean why does a delegation from TD's need to go over ? Is that not what the local diplomat is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The Columbia 3 were over there sharing their knowledge of bird watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I mean why does a delegation from TD's need to go over ? Is that not what the local diplomat is for.

There is a pre Black friday sale on Egyptian cotton for the TD's spouses to go tax free shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm afraid that is just Not the Case with Mr Hawalla and his bit of bother.

By any measure the Irish State has provided support and assistance FAR beyond any former incidence of foreign incarceration.

The Dept of Foreign Affairs and the Consular Staff in Egypt have fully documented their almost constant presence at Mr Hawalla's various arraignments.

It must also be noted that Mr Hawalla also has a full legal team of his own,in addition to access to NGO's such as Amnesty Int'l.

On a slightly OT note,it's somewhat apparent that the Irish campaign to "Free" Mr Hawalla is not quite drawing the numbers that his original Cairene gig ....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/amnesty-fears-dublin-teenager-ibrahim-halawa-will-face-sham-trial-31578564.html

A slight change of tack apparent with the Hawalla sisters being sidelined in favour of the more acceptably measured tones of Amnesty's Colm O'Gorman..
    Executive director at Amnesty International Ireland Colm O'Gorman said no one knows what will happen when Ibrahim appears before the court.

A tacit recognition that Egyptian Court appearances and Irish one's may well be surprisingly similar.

Still no announcement as to whether the Hawalla sisters will return to take up their bail conditions,and have their own day in the same Cairo Court ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Longstand14

Who cares whether it is postponed. Its only a pity that his father is not awaiting trial with him. These scum should be locked up for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

I thought the little hero was on hunger strike. How come he's still alive.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'm afraid that is just Not the Case with Mr Hawalla and his bit of bother.

By any measure the Irish State has provided support and assistance FAR beyond any former incidence of foreign incarceration.

The Dept of Foreign Affairs and the Consular Staff in Egypt have fully documented their almost constant presence at Mr Hawalla's various arraignments.

It must also be noted that Mr Hawalla also has a full legal team of his own,in addition to access to NGO's such as Amnesty Int'l.

On a slightly OT note,it's somewhat apparent that the Irish campaign to "Free" Mr Hawalla is not quite drawing the numbers that his original Cairene gig ....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/amnesty-fears-dublin-teenager-ibrahim-halawa-will-face-sham-trial-31578564.html

A slight change of tack apparent with the Hawalla sisters being sidelined in favour of the more acceptably measured tones of Amnesty's Colm O'Gorman..

A tacit recognition that Egyptian Court appearances and Irish one's may well be surprisingly similar.

Still no announcement as to whether the Hawalla sisters will return to take up their bail conditions,and have their own day in the same Cairo Court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anyone know was there many at the protest the other day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

That's unbelievable. Well it's not but all the same, it's terrible news. Whatever you (and I don't mean you darkpagandeath) think about Ibrahim, having your trial postponed 9 times is taking the proverbial. The authorities should just get it over with. At least with a verdict the Ibrahim and his family will be able to move on, whether it's an appeal process or back to his old life.

I wonder if his sisters skipping bail will have a negative impact on his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

wyrn wrote: »

It shouldn't do, as he was locked up at the time so in no way responsible. Would explain this delayed trial craic though.

wyrn wrote: »

Well it didnt help but you should really look at who his father is and was.
    That will tell you more than enough

Heard that amnesty lad on the radio, Banging on again. Have no idea what more he wants he already explained it's a consular case and nothing can be done till a trial has been carried out. What more do they want ? he seemed more happy to plug the amnesty webby. Seemed a bit deluded calling for Ireland and the world to show it's displeasure at the Egyptian government in relation to our Fella. Kept going on about mass trials this that mass deaths. I don't remember any executions having been carried out.

Actually it does happen but only in extreme cases.

BBC

Actually it does happen but only in extreme cases.

BBC

No I know people have in relation to extremely deadly clashes but the death penalties have not been carried out and may never be they may just stay in jail. The lad on the radio banged on like they were killing people left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

There's a shortage of judges due to Islamist assassins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

What odds?

OK, so this man, (he's not a kid) goes there to stir up trouble and commit violence. Gets caught, and pulls an Irish passport like its some kind of get out of jail free card!
    Then the media says "The Irish Government has come in for criticism for their failure to secure Ibrahim's release."

What right has our government to dictate to the Criminal justice system of another sovereign country?

So his day in court has been postponed nine times! Ever consider that this could be because the Egyptian criminal justice system is just massively overrun dealing with tossers like this.

Amazed this thread is still running.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jesus, he'd a sore back this time and could hardly stand according to his sister. So he's got, so far, a shot hand that got no medical treatment, a heart defect that's gone untreated and now a bad back. What next? Ingrown toenail? Ingrown hair, heard they're terrible? I reckon something to do with his eyes will be the next medical emergency he has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement