Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

case still open. not next at all. this irish citizen will be helped.

Fine, how are you going to make him accept the help - should the ambassador have dragged him bodily to the plane?

Is he not, the least in some way morally responsible for his own situation given he ignored DFA advice, travelled (most likely) on his Egyptian passport, allowed himself (poor innocent that he is) to be caught up in the protests, then didn't have the good grace to accept the deal offered him?

Good to admit if I was the innocent abroad his supporters are suggesting he is and I got accidentally swept up and arrested, I'd have taken the deal.

Of course if you are there to make a political point, it makes more sense to stay in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Beano wrote: »
    he has been offered help. he refused it.

Give that boy a Darwin Award....... faced with an option of being home in time for tea and buns or doing Jail time with indefinite time or outcome. He choose to stay in Egypt. Wonder what he expects the out come to be?

Give that boy a Darwin Award....... faced with an option of being home in time for tea and buns or doing Jail time with indefinite time or outcome. He choose to stay in Egypt. Wonder what he expects the out come to be?

Minor celebrity status on his return - interview on the Late Late and articles in the Irish Times.

Apparently Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is line to play him in the film.......

I am starting to Understand this thread now...... This is a dead story and is not taken up in the mainsteam Media.
    People with interests are trying to keep this story alive. If you havent realised it is DEAD!!! The Ambassador is not really interested neither is the press what is left of this story is going to be swept away in January with the weather and the water rates and upcoming election.

This is the last hope of keeping it alive.... that and posters. Lads just let it go. I am finished with this thread ..... As for Mahammed he wasnt attending the Sand castle convention, travelled against DoFA advice and rejected an Ambassors offer of safe passage. Commonsense and Logic truly deserted this boy in his time of need.

Anyone got his address? Send him a slab of Dutch Gold and a sack of pork scratching for Christmas, the FHM calender and a box of Tampons. Why a box of Tampons? Because it says on the box you can go horse riding, sailing, running, jumping, absailing, swimming ...........

Jawgap wrote: »
    Apparently Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is line to play him in the film.......

Not sure about the Action firm role but I do see a film but it doesnt have that glam. Its about an innocent Irish boy who gets banged up in an Cairo jail. sweating under the Egyptian sun they hide their glistening bodies under the shade. They come out at night to express their man-love. Our young Hero becomes quite deft in his man love skills and viril, smooth body, he becomes more popular in the prison than hummas.

Still a better love story than Twilight.

Should be out in time to rival 50 shades of Grey

We can call it "32 shades of Coal and Sapphire"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

OlaChica wrote: »
    The full article is here http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teen-locked-up-in-egypt-jail-fears-execution-30158991.html

How is that not all over the news? And why is our government doing so little to help? I know we are a tiny country but surely there is SOMETHING that we could do to persaude Egypt to release this poor young man. Even a boycott on tourism or something similar.

Absolutely disgraceful and my heart goes out to this poor young lad.

More like we should be looking at our immigration laws before we turn into another muslim infested country.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    More like we should be looking at our immigration laws before we turn into another muslim infested country.

Maybe you should go for a break to Birmingham. No investment, no interest in developing skills. Air of Tension. no civil responsibility. Shortage of skills for industry

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

This is why I am saying Islam is not compatible with Irish culture. Islam does not allow the civil liberties and tolerances of Irish Culture.
    If you are going to be offended by me supping Murphys and having roast pork ... you would be better off with your own kind. If you cant hack Shirley Templebar doing the Bingo numbers or Women driving cars... this really isnt the country for you
    we should throw out some of the christians then. some of that stuff many of them are against. just like some muslims couldn't care a less. if 1 religion isn't compatible then none are.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I am starting to Understand this thread now...... This is a dead story and is not taken up in the mainsteam Media.
    People with interests are trying to keep this story alive. If you havent realised it is DEAD!!! The Ambassador is not really interested neither is the press what is left of this story is going to be swept away in January with the weather and the water rates and upcoming election.
    This is the last hope of keeping it alive.... that and posters.

its a thread on boards. nothing to do with the mainstream media. even if this thread had more posters it would have nothing to do with the mainstream media.
    Lads just let it go.

no, we won't. i'm not letting it go that this chap was born in ireland and is an irish citizen. i will keep saying it, as that is the fact.
    I am finished with this thread

by so. he is still an irish citizen born in ireland. his religion, skin colour, nothing is going to chagnge that fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

echoes of Germany 1933 rattling around that post

• Advertisement

yeah. coming from the country who sent women to homes to be beaten and treated like ****ing **** because they dared to get pregnant out of wedlock, and who's children were either sold off and god knows what else. you know what? we have no right to get upidy about muslims or any religion. this country is no better then the extreme elements of any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

by so. he is still an irish citizen born in ireland. his religion, skin colour, nothing is going to chagnge that fact

No- one is disputing that his skin colour or religion should result in his citizenship being called into question. His actions and alignment with an organisation which promotes values that are in direct contravention to his Irish citizenship are the reason people are angry.

You are using race/ religion as a strawman argument. Come up with something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

It's a pity his parents and sisters hadn't as much concern for his welfare when he was 17 :(

bjork wrote: »
    It's a pity his parents and sisters hadn't as much concern for his welfare when he was 17 :(

That's the truth. He was just a spotty teenager to be fair, full of hormones. Those girls should be ashamed of themselves both for putting their little brother in that kind of danger, and promoting a political system that marginalises their fellow woman so much. Women who grow up in a society that allows them to be free only to promote one that wants them figuratively chained to a kitchen sink/ bed or barefoot and pregnant for their whole lives. Really beggars belief.

Just to make it clear to the bleeding hearts, I am referring to the Muslim Brotherhood and Sharia Law, NOT Islam. Save your faux outrage for an actual racist/ xenophobic.

No- one is disputing that his skin colour or religion should result in his citizenship being called into question.

oh, some are and some would.
    His actions and alignment with an organisation which promotes values that are in direct contravention to his Irish citizenship are the reason people are angry.

yeah, i'm sure.
    You are using race/ religion as a strawman argument. Come up with something better.

i'm not. we both know that is the major reason for many. including a couple on this thread.

yeah, i'm sure.

i'm not. we both know that is the major reason for many. including a couple on this thread.

care to name the 'couple'

yeah, i'm sure.

I think "nyeh nyehnyeh nyeh nyeh" really strengthens your argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Let it all out bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just to make it clear to the bleeding hearts, I am referring to the Muslim Brotherhood and Sharia Law, NOT Islam. Save your faux outrage for an actual racist/ xenophobic.

Islam is not a race. So being against Islam can't be racist. Its a set of ideas set down ages ago similarly to christianity etc. They are ideas written in books. Nothing more.

This fella went to Egypt and got caught were he shouldn't have been as a dual citizen. He is now bound by the laws of the land. We can do nothing and should do nothing. He should have taken his way out when he had the chance.

CptMackey wrote: »
    Islam is not a race. So being against Islam can't be racist. Its a set of ideas set down ages ago similarly to christianity etc. They are ideas written in books. Nothing more.

That's why I also used the word "xenophobic". No point in splitting hairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

That's why I also used the word "xenophobic". No point in splitting hairs.

Wasn't getting at you, just sometimes people on here jump to conclusions . Shouldn't matter if he is a follower of the God emperor of mankind he was is the wrong place and got caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

I got an infraction for making a racist comment even though I was speaking the truth, call me racist I don't care. So many people that are blind to what is going on all over the world, the way things are going Islam will be the dominant force and then we'll see how multi-cultural you all are, the French people are living in fear daily, this incident in Australia, 9/11, soldier beheaded in London, 140 children killed in Pakistan, beheading of young children, stoning to death of women, blowing themselves up because they think they are going to get 10 wives in paradise, oh I'm so sorry for my insulting remarks but I've had enough of it. Oh let's not be racist, let's be happy and let them come in and blow us all up, and they would given half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Islam is not a race. So being against Islam can't be racist.

Of course they're a race. Clearly all these Muslim footballers are members of the same race: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1881613/thumbs/o-FAITH-570.jpg?2

Scientology has also been granted religion status in many Western countries, so if you criticise Scientology or mock Tom Cruise for his beliefs, you're a racist.

/joking

This fella went to Egypt and got caught were he shouldn't have been as a dual citizen. He is now bound by the laws of the land. We can do nothing and should do nothing. He should have taken his way out when he had the chance.
    we should do everything for an irish born irish citizen.

I got an infraction for making a racist comment even though I was speaking the truth

"speaking the truth" yeah, right.
    call me racist I don't care.

why would you want to be called a racist and not care about it.
    So many people that are blind to what is going on all over the world

not at all. but we know why its happening, and that it is blown out of proportion.
    the way things are going Islam will be the dominant force and then we'll see how multi-cultural you all are

yeah. whatever.
    the French people are living in fear daily

are they? jesus, god love them. poor oul craythers
    this incident in Australia, 9/11, soldier beheaded in London

all one off incidents.
    140 children killed in Pakistan, beheading of young children, stoning to death of women

aweful stuff, but that is happening in countries which are themselves lawless states.
    blowing themselves up because they think they are going to get 10 wives in paradise

because they are brainwashed, or because they are under occupation and wish to kill the occupiers and it is one of the most effective ways to do it. its not right, but it is what it is unfortunately.
    oh I'm so sorry for my insulting remarks but I've had enough of it.

ramblings you mean
    Oh let's not be racist

couldn't agree more. no place for such poison
    let's be happy and let them come in and blow us all up, and they would given half a chance.

yeah, and the catholics would all abuse children given half a chance. what tripe. they won't be coming into blow us up. we have done nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

So are a lot of the IRA. They're still terrorists.
    Did the Irish government have any success in getting dual Irish/UK passport holders released from gaol in Belfast?
    he does have a right moraly as he is an irish citizen.
    End of the road, you really aren't listening, he has the right for consular assistance IN ANY COUNTRY EXCEPT EGYPT, due to his Egyptian passport.
    Irish 17 year old
    Sorry be he was also an 18 year old Egyptian, could this be the reason that he wasn't tried with the children in the last couple of weeks?
    this irish citizen will be helped.
    I hope so, but what sort of help are you expecting? There is no chance that he will get released due to his nationality.

Its interesting to see that this was moved to a military court, can they really expect to execute 300 people and not have a civil war? My guess is that once they are sentenced, they will be used as pawns. I have noticed that the USA has stopped shouting about democracy in the Middle East as they finally discovered that it can't work.

As a side note, the two kids of Morsi are US passport citizens as they were born there. The Egyptian government is trying to have their status changed and remove their dual citizenship, i can only assume that this would allow them to sentence them without losing their US funding.

Its a nasty complex game, and certainly wasn't the sort of situation that someone should have allowed a 17 year old to get involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No- one is disputing that his skin colour or religion should result in his citizenship being called into question. ......

Have you actually read the thread?

i am listening. he has a moral right. difference between moral and legal. but in this case our moral duty to do what we can is what counts and is happening

You might like to wish away international law and the various conventions that consular services operate under, but it ain't going to happen - what about his moral duty not to drag Irish consular staff into the internal affairs of another country for anything more then the absolute minimum to secure his safety?

Also are you naming the 'couple' you alluded to earlier or withdrawing the remark?

I got an infraction for making a racist comment even though I was speaking the truth, call me racist I don't care. So many people that are blind to what is going on all over the world, the way things are going Islam will be the dominant force and then we'll see how multi-cultural you all are, the French people are living in fear daily, this incident in Australia, 9/11, soldier beheaded in London, 140 children killed in Pakistan, beheading of young children, stoning to death of women, blowing themselves up because they think they are going to get 10 wives in paradise, oh I'm so sorry for my insulting remarks but I've had enough of it. Oh let's not be racist, let's be happy and let them come in and blow us all up, and they would given half a chance.

Well its hardly the Legion of Mary,.... up to their usual auld trick again , I suppose. Oh they arent going to blow us up.... they want to establish a whole new Muslim state. The Prophet Kalid Kelly will be the regional Ayatollah. This guy isnt an Islamic head case, as some people here would have him portrayed. He is a qualified experienced Nurse from Dublin who needed to earn more money over in Saudi making illegal hooch. He got caught and got time in a Saudi Prison where he converted. Now he has been back and forth to Pakistan and had a few brushes with Irish Security and they warned him off.

This guy is the new face of Islam in Ireland, "When the black flag of Islam flies over the Dail". It isnt the "Oh can't we all just get along?" face.

• Advertisement

There is a line there in the world.... Turkey, Israel Yougoslavia ....... It has been there since Biblical times...... Either side crossing over it usually brings trouble.

Another thing is the lad isnt in trouble because he is an Arab or Muslim.... its because he was in a riot. Now if he stayed at home in Ireland this would not be a problem. IF he had gone quietly on his way this would not be a problem. The little thug was in a riot and he meant to do some damage .... well he got what he wanted and now he is playing the auld racist card. The only thing an Irish passport has done is saved him from a field court martial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement