Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

No he has an Irish passport. If he is an Irish citizen or not is up for debate.

I was quoting EOTR's mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You are not big on personal responsibility are you?

For the last time he made his bed and he is certainly not worth causing an international incident.
    he is worth it. the military junta of egypt is invalid, so an international incident with that country is perfectly fine. fair play to the irish government for asisting one of its citizens

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

No he has an Irish passport. If he is an Irish citizen or not is up for debate.

he was born here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

he is worth it. the military junta of egypt is invalid, so an international incident with that country is perfectly fine. fair play to the irish government for asisting one of its citizens

Are you off your head or what? The man in question only holds an Irish passport he is no more Irish than the man on the moon and he is not worth the hassle he is causing my country.

Why are his family not over there pleading his case?. He gave up the rights of his Irish Passport long ago.
    he didn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If he is an Irish citizen he can apply for deportation like the Aussie journo who works for Al-Jazeera who has just been granted a re-trial.

Again, the fact he hasn't points to him entering the country as an Egyptian on his Egyptian passport - again in such circumstances the Irish government is neither morally nor legally obliged to provide him with consular assistance given he made a very clear choice to travel as an Egyptian.

What are you smoking?.
    I'm unsure if your delusional,drunk,high or just plain silly.

just because i believe an irish citizen who is of a different skin colour and religion to me should be brought back home to his country of origine does not make me one of the above.
    He deserves to stay where he is. Like I said he made his bed. Why we are even bothering with him is beyond me.

not at all.
    Oh yea...he's an Irish citizen..right.

yes. put up with it.
    42 pages wasted on this guy!

not a waste at all. its a story worth discussing.

Jawgap wrote: »
    If he is an Irish citizen he can apply for deportation like the Aussie journo who works for Al-Jazeera who has just been granted a re-trial.

Again, the fact he hasn't points to him entering the country as an Egyptian on his Egyptian passport - again in such circumstances the Irish government is neither morally nor legally obliged to provide him with consular assistance given he made a very clear choice to travel as an Egyptian.
    they are moraly obliged. a corrupt military junta isn't going to simply deport him no matter where he comes from

Mod

Do not personalise this debate or you will be asked to refrain from posting. Please report posts which cross the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

they are moraly obliged. a corrupt military junta isn't going to simply deport him no matter where he comes from

Well, it shows how little you understand of the situation.

The option of deportation is available under a presidential decree - application is made to the A-G. The A-G was in place before the current president came to power and indeed, predates Morsi - so the 'junta' has very little to do with such applications.

• Advertisement

he was born here

Again we find ourselves back at personal resposabilty and he has to take some himself for ending up in the mess he is in. Now our government has went above and beyond the call of duty to help the young man and he has rejected all offers. Now short of sending the Irish Rangers over to try and get him out there is not much more the country can do for him. Now we have homeless sleeping rough old people on trollys in A&E's up and down the country and we have sons and daughters and brothers and sisters heading out of Ireland again after the hols so all this has to come before a young lad who thinks he is being an ultra cool rebel.

Again we find ourselves back at personal resposabilty and he has to take some himself for ending up in the mess he is in. Now our government has went above and beyond the call of duty to help the young man and he has rejected all offers. Now short of sending the Irish Rangers over to try and get him out there is not much more the country can do for him. Now we have homeless sleeping rough old people on trollys in A&E's up and down the country and we have sons and daughters and brothers and sisters heading out of Ireland again after the hols so all this has to come before a young lad who thinks he is being an ultra cool rebel.

it doesn't. its as important. and all what you mention would happen regardless of his situation. so its all irrelevant to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

not at all. he's an irish citizen
    He's a traitor. Anyone who supports groups like IS, the Muslim Brotherhood etc. are traitors to ANY secular democracy.

A traitor who, let's remind ourselves, was offered a ticket out of there but refused it.

Why should we give a sod about a traitor who explicitly rejects his country's help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Some people in this thread remind me of the two naive Italian girls who went off to Syria to help the Muslims fight for 'freedom' and are now waiting to get their heads chopped.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724701/Two-Italian-aid-workers-kidnapped-Islamist-militants-Syria-ignoring-parents-pleas-not-go.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

irish citizen who is of a different skin colour and religion
    What has this got to do with anything? If he didn't have dual citizenship then it would be a different story, but he declared himself an Egyptian until such time that the sh1t hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

just because i believe an irish citizen who is of a different skin colour and religion to me should be brought back home to his country of origine does not make me one of the above.

I never mentioned BLIND. so skin colour does not, nor did not enter into my head,..

Nor did I mention religion.:rolleyes:

it doesn't. its as important. and all what you mention would happen regardless of his situation. so its all irrelevant to the discussion

Sorry now mate but I would think for most people that cutting down the numbers in our A&Es and the numbers sleeping rough on the streets will come ahead of a young lad who does not want our help.

If you feel so badly for him take a trip out and have a chat with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Are we still going on about an Egyptian man held in an Egyptian prison, Being tried under Egyptian law ? Unless I see any information that this person flew over on an Irish passport.

an irish man held in an Egyptian prison, Being tried under an illegitimate Egyptian court

fixed that for you

fixed that for you

Why do people still have a hard time grasping how duel citizenship works and it's problems.

If you go to one of the countries you have citizenship in you are bound by their laws. Illegitimate government or no he broke laws in the country he has citizenship in end of. He is an Egyptian being held under Egyptian law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

he's an irish citizen, so moraly the irish government are right to be helping him. i don't care whether they legally are obliged or not, its what i expect a government to try do for their citizens

They got the Egyptian citizen a free ride back to Ireland but he turned it down, what more can they do for this fool?

fixed that for you

I see you still don't believe in personal resposabilty from the young man who caused all this.

I see you still don't believe in personal resposabilty from the young man who caused all this.

I would be interested to know what would happen if this person had broke laws here then pulled out an Egyptian passport what some people would be saying ? You know swap the situation around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I think the point is they went out to Eygpt with the intention of protesting FOR A HORRIBLE REGIME - the Muslim Brotherhood. I hope he rots over there.

Exactly. It's not like he was protesting in favour of world peace, or to defend the helpless or to right some terrible injustice. He knowingly went there and protested in favour of a regime that wants to force sharia law on the world, and whether they have a hope of succeeding is beside the point, the point is he wants to inflict this regime on everybody. A regime that advocates whippings and death - now he's crying like a little b*tch because he might get sentenced to death. It's poetic justice. And if he's old enough to go over there then he is old enough to take the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would be interested to know what would happen if this person had broke laws here then pulled out an Egyptian passport what some people would be saying ? You know swap the situation around.

I think what you mean is..
    What would happen if an Irish citizen, who having been caught committing a serious offence on Irish soil, but having travelled from another country where he is currently resident and holds a passport for, pulls out his passport from said country and he and his family expects a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card and expects the country he is resident in to Do Something about it and for the Irish judicial system to give in to the request.

Well I imagine, and would expect, the Irish government would tell the other country to fook off and mind their own business.

a regime that wants to force sharia law on the world

i don't particularly like them either but that statement is nonsense. nobody can "force" sharia law on the world, so i couldn't care a less about someone wanting it as its not happening.
    whether they have a hope of succeeding is beside the point, the point is he wants to inflict this regime on everybody.

does he?
    A regime that advocates whippings and death - now he's crying like a little b*tch because he might get sentenced to death. It's poetic justice.

good for him, he's right to try stop himself from being slaughtered by a illegitimate government. if his death is poetic justice to you then your agreeing with his supposed protest for sharia law, not that he was protesting for it. if you condone him being sentenced to death while cribbing about sharia law i suspect its a cover for you condoning and supporting sharia law.
    if he's old enough to go over there then he is old enough to take the consequences.

not at all. you can go over there at any age, a 5 year old might be old enough to go over there with parents, should the 5 year old be sentenced to death if he/she gets caught up in a protest and a violent slaughter? death is extreme for the nothing that happened, so if the irish government can do any little thing to help this irish citizen then good for them, i don't mind

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What would happen if an Irish citizen, who having been caught committing a serious offence on Irish soil, but having travelled from another country where he is currently resident and holds a passport for, pulls out his passport from said country and he and his family expects a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card and expects the country he is resident in to Do Something about it and for the Irish judicial system to give in to the request.

Well I imagine, and would expect, the Irish government would tell the other country to fook off and mind their own business.
    depending on the crime. if its a small one and it would cost to much they may not. either way the irish government is legitimate, and we don't slaughter people here for protesting (all though some would like us to do so) so its not comparible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

K.Flyer wrote: »

You left out the part where he gets the get out jail free card but refuses it and his family complain that the country is not doing enough.

depending on the crime. if its a small one and it would cost to much they may not. either way the irish government is legitimate, and we don't slaughter people here for protesting (all though some would like us to do so) so its not comparible

Yes it is, The laws of the country are the laws. Illegitimate government or no the last government had the same penalty.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    You left out the part where he gets the get out jail free card but refuses it and his family complain that the country is not doing enough.
    had he left, the illegitimate military junta would have slaughtered all the men women and children in the mosq, as thats the type of wild animals they are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement