Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

bjork wrote: »

Release him on bail good one!!!

As soon as he is let out he will scamper back to the leafy suburbs of Clonskeagh ....

Imagine the games they are going to play with him because they couldnt get Daddy? When he gets out in Ten years imagine what he is going to do to the man who left him there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is his trial going ahead today?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is his trial going ahead today?

Suppossed to be but I bet they will post pone it until the end possibly 5 years.

Garunteed money he won't be tried today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Trial is underway, Apparently...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I actually think if it goes ahead it would be a good thing

• Advertisement

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ibrahim-halawa-due-at-trial-in-egypt-674432.html

oh they are going to hold him to the end. The Egyptian authorities are in no hurry to let him go. They are going to try them in small numbers every few months and guess who is going to be in the last lot in about 10 years so he can start his sentence? #ShouldHaveGoneToSantaPonza

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ibrahim-halawa-due-at-trial-in-egypt-674432.html

oh they are going to hold him to the end. The Egyptian authorities are in no hurry to let him go. They are going to try them in small numbers every few months and guess who is going to be in the last lot in about 10 years so he can start his sentence? #ShouldHaveGoneToSantaPonza

If it actually goes ahead, how long will it take?

I actually think if it goes ahead it would be a good thing

How did you work that out? The boy is home with all his pals. Think of it like Stalag 19 with sunshine. Think of all those nicely tanned guys with carmel skin all fuel up with testosterone and buff from doing press ups. I have seen Orange is the New Black. This guy is going to be more popular than tomato sauce on burgers. Everyone is going to want some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

A bit like Ibrahim if he gets the electric chair*

*I know Egypt don't use the electric chair, it's a joke.

Not a very funny one. Actually a pretty twisted one.

If it actually goes ahead, how long will it take?

Guessing with based on previus rates with no government interference?

450 /6 (trial groupings) = 75 lots
    75 * 7 weeks (guess) = 525 weeks = 10 years at a guess before his trial date.

But that could change in the morning. He is going to be serving the sentence for his father. If his father cared he would never have let him go. If his father cared he would never have blocked the ambassador

• Advertisement

Guessing with based on previus rates with no government interference?

450 /6 (trial groupings) = 75 lots
    75 * 7 weeks (guess) = 525 weeks = 10 years at a guess before his trial date.

But that could change in the morning. He is going to be serving the sentence for his father. If his father cared he would never have let him go. If his father cared he would never have blocked the ambassador

So the average trial takes seven weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

I'd imagine his trial will be delayed as long as possible, but that he will be set free in the end, as there would be an international outcry if he received the death sentence or a long prison term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

h2005 wrote: »
    Not a very funny one. Actually a pretty twisted one.

Ah well, you can't please everyone.

We are talking about trying to destablise a second world country outside the EU that control the flow of oil. The odds arent in little Ibrimheems favour. This was treason/ raising a revolution.... not playing ring and run. Treason is more serious than murder or trafficing drugs in the eyes of the Law.

So the average trial takes seven weeks?

that is how often the trials date comes up on average. All this is guess work and speculation. Hey, a change of government or political pressure and hey he could be up for trial in the morning and be released with time served. I just dont see it happening.....

that is how often the trials date comes up on average. All this is guess work and speculation. Hey, a change of government or political pressure and hey he could be up for trial in the morning and be released with time served. I just dont see it happening.....

I can't see that happening either

Am I right in thinking his sister's cant returns to Egypt as they will face charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Can't understand how the Halawa girls are holding a "Freedom of expression" placard when they support the Muslim brotherhood. Isn't that called an oxymoron?

Am I right in thinking his sister's cant returns to Egypt as they will face charges?

Skipping Bail is a serious charge in any country... so yes. They can never go home under normal conditions.

emo72 wrote: »
    ...."Freedom of expression" placard when they support the Muslim brotherhood.

......and there you have a whole new redefining of the phrase "Dumb and Dumber".

I bet they are going to piss off daddy by dating a Catholic boy..... that will really give daddy an ulcer. Now I normally dont suport mandatory head dress for ladies but in this case I do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Can anyone find the YouTube video where he says this is an Islamic matter? It looks like it's been deleted again.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    Can anyone find the YouTube video where he says this is an Islamic matter? It looks like it's been deleted again.

Nope it looks like the Clonskeagh Mosque have been spring cleaning again..... Their boy is whiter than white. I saw it and he was dressed like Rambo and telling people that they were in the minarette tower and boarded themselves in. Funny I didnt see any women or children there. Then it all went to crap and the Egyptian security services were knocking on the door and they were bricking themselves.

Oh it happened alright. I would ask Mark Humperies if he has a copy, and I bet he has a lot more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Newstalk's twitter says put back to 3rd June.

Calina wrote: »
    Newstalk's twitter says put back to 3rd June.

Quelle Surprise ..... only another 449 more defendants before they get to judge the little turd. Then they can start compiling the book of evidence..... could be a while. Meanwhile I can see the value of AIB shares hitting their original all time high of €20 a share before that happens

Quelle Surprise ..... only another 449 more defendants before they get to judge the little turd. Then they can start compiling the book of evidence..... could be a while. Meanwhile I can see the value of AIB shares hitting their original all time high of €20 a share before that happens

So is what happening that there are almost 500 of them in total, and each time they have a group selected ffor immediate trial by the judge and the rest get postponed?

So is what happening that there are almost 500 of them in total, and each time they have a group selected ffor immediate trial by the judge and the rest get postponed?

If it was an ordinary guy in the list he would be processed in turn. This guy is a gem find. They have a ligitimate reason to hold him and because of Daddys past activities they are going to play mind games with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I can't see that happening either

Ibraham Halawa's sisters were granted bail by the Court.

This would suggest that the Ladies agreed to the conditions surrounding Bail,such as,posting a bond and agreeing to turn-up for the future trial.

Is it only when we read of Irish anti-social elements or criminals skipping bail that we express indignation ?

Perhaps the Irish Ambassador assisted in the process which saw the Halawa girls being granted their freedom,which then leaves the Irish Consular service in a bit of a bind when they rather pointedly refuse to return to defend their actions in open (Egyptian) Court.

However,reading through the somewhat incredible accounts being put out by Amnesty International,perhaps it's for the best that they keep schtum and lie low in their adopted home ?

http://www.amnesty.ie/news/waiting-freedom-egypt
    He and his sisters were on their annual family holidays in Egypt visiting their relatives when the upheaval that ultimately led to the ousting of then President Morsi began. His sisters witnessed the killing of 817 people at protest camps in Rabaa on 14 August, known as the Rabaa massacre or Egypt’s Tiananmen Square.

The "Annual Family Holiday" position has already been substantially undermined by individual remarks by family members which indicate that their visit was anything but a holiday.
    They spent the days after Rabaa getting their sister Fatima seen by a doctor as she had been shot 20 times with rubber bullets. The scars remain visible all over her body. Then on the morning of 17 August they heard that those against the military coup would be assembling again in Ramses Square.

This allegation appears to have passed under the radar in Irish media terms.
    Being struck multiple times by a rubber bullet (Baton Round) is a serious and potentially life threatening occurence,that level of strikes would result in catastrophic damage,if not death.
    They rang home to Dublin to tell of their plans to go to Ramses Square and peacefully protest. “My mother was very worried”, Somaia said, “but my Dad said ‘you must do what your humanity asks you to do’”. So they tried to reach Ramses Square.

Interesting to note that at all times,these young people were fully aware of the fraught situation,but felt sufficiently confident to ignore both Maternal and Irish Consular advice to stay away from clear and present danger.They CHOSE TO IGNORE these advices.
    The young women were held for 3 months before being released on bail and returned home to Ireland. They were forced to leave their little brother Ibrahim behind.

The Egyptian Courts were under no obligation to grant bail,which,I assume,was applied for by the Halawa family's lawyers.
    Having been granted Bail,the sisters are however bound to return to face their trial or forfeit whatever security was lodged with the Court ?
    Amnesty International researchers were on the ground in Cairo during the August protests. Ibrahim, along with many others subject to the same mass trial, is accused of attempted murder and murder. But our researchers witnessed the violence around the Al-Fath mosque where the Halawas were hiding. Any shooting that took place -primarily from the security forces - took place at the minaret entrance to the mosque.

The use of the word "Primarily" here,by Amnesty International is somewhat curious and intrigueing,as it does confirm that even Amnesty International admits to fire being directed at the Security Forces from that location?
    When asked if they regretted going to Ramses Square that day his sisters are adamant that despite their ongoing ordeal they do not. They say, “You can’t only choose to be human in one country and ignorant in another”.

Deep and Meaningful stuff,for sure.
    However the subsequent attempts to denigrate the Irish Governments,substantial and high-profile ongoing efforts to assist their brother,have left the Halawa family with a very obvious credibility gap.

The Halawa sisters are,of course,fully entitled to respect their conditions of bail,by turning up for their own trial proceedings.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Why has no one in the Irish media challenged them on the above?

Why has no one in the Irish media challenged them on the above?

*Points menacingly @ Stheno* Look there is an Islamophobe!!!

probably a racist aswell :pac:

• Advertisement

Dont get me started on them rascist.... and them Zionists too!! Dont forget them.

That's the sad truth of it though they are hiding behind these....SJW labels.

Sure wasn't it the MB themselves that coined the phrase "Islamophobia"

*Points menacingly @ Stheno* Look there is an Islamophobe!!!

Thought so!

Tbh I think the dept of fforign affairs are getting close to having a confrontation with them going on recent statements

He had 37 visits from dofa staff out there which is pretty much one every two weeks since he was imprisoned they have attended all of his court appearances, supported him getting bail, and now the minister is meeting his Egyptian counterpart in New York

With the rhetoric from his sister's and the conflict between their story and other evidence on social media and the fact he's an Egyptian citizen as well as irish I think they are playing with fire

Its complex. The Real truth is both the Egyptian government dont want to let him go and the Irish Government dont want him back stirring trouble over here for probably our second biggest non EU trading partner. Really everyone wishes he would just go away quietly but if he gets out, that means that and Irish passport is a passport to do what you like and get off scott free.

The Military government has an axe to grind with Dadddy and Daddy doesnt care how it gets sone and sends the brain washed young lad into clear danger. I will be cashing in my pension before that boy comes home. What do you think he is going to do when he gets out and finds out dad blocked him coming home within a few hours? He will slot the old goat. I know I would. Amazing how prison gives you time to think. That rage is going to be festering for a long time while he should be enjoying college and be on abou 80k a year salary as an engineer.

Them lads in the DOFA must have patience of saint to put up with this families mumbo jumbo

Thought so!

Tbh I think the dept of fforign affairs are getting close to having a confrontation with them going on recent statements

He had 37 visits from dofa staff out there which is pretty much one every two weeks since he was imprisoned they have attended all of his court appearances, supported him getting bail, and now the minister is meeting his Egyptian counterpart in New York

With the rhetoric from his sister's and the conflict between their story and other evidence on social media and the fact he's an Egyptian citizen as well as irish I think they are playing with fire

To be fair,there can be few who would disagree with a family doing all in it's power to help member in trouble.

The Halawa's problem,however,is their refusal to accept their own somewhat biased position in this matter.

They currently reside in a democratic State which allows them great largesse in terms of protest.

They make full use of this in order to put forward their own issues with EGYPTIAN internal and foreign policies,yet appear unwilling to admit that the Muslim Brotherhood itslef failed to secure the widespread support of Egyptians,which more than any other issue in all of this,leaves this Family requiring plain straightforward Sympathy from Irish sources,rather than a chorous of half-informed,vacuous political activist types baying for yet more anarchy in a foreign land.

There is a rather pointed lack of widespread cross Irish-Muslim support for the Halawa sisters campaign,which tends to be reflected in the lack of numbers at their street-protests.

As a non-Muslim Irish person,I should be allowed to freedom to support the Irish Government's attempts to ensure Ibraham Halawa recieves a fair trial,but I need to do this without,in any way,having my support deliberately misconstrued as being Anti Egyptian Government OR Pro Muslim Brotherhood.

There are a great many Irish Citizens and Irish Muslims,who are totally against what the Muslim Brotherhood stand for,yet who identify with Ibraham Halawa's difficult position....why are these people and their goodwill,being sidelined in a familial crusade for political point-scoring ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Its complex. The Real truth is both the Egyptian government dont want to let him go and the Irish Government dont want him back stirring trouble over here for probably our second biggest non EU trading partner. Really everyone wishes he would just go away quietly but if he gets out, that means that and Irish passport is a passport to do what you like and get off scott free.

The Military government has an axe to grind with Dadddy and Daddy doesnt care how it gets sone and sends the brain washed young lad into clear danger. I will be cashing in my pension before that boy comes home. What do you think he is going to do when he gets out and finds out dad blocked him coming home within a few hours? He will slot the old goat. I know I would. Amazing how prison gives you time to think. That rage is going to be festering for a long time while he should be enjoying college and be on abou 80k a year salary as an engineer.

Them lads in the DOFA must have patience of saint to put up with this families mumbo jumbo

Yep the dofa staff deserve credit here imo

I noted that mammy was in court today along with his cousins

• Advertisement

Yep the dofa staff deserve credit here imo

I noted that mammy was in court today along with his cousins

Are there any accounts of today's proceedings available as yet ?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Are there any accounts of today's proceedings available as yet ?

Postponed to June third no bail dofa staff supporting application for bail

What's the axe the govt have to grind with daddy?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    To be fair,there can be few who would disagree with a family doing all in it's power to help member in trouble.

There are a great many Irish Citizens and Irish Muslims,who are totally against what the Muslim Brotherhood stand for,yet who identify with Ibraham Halawa's difficult position....why are these people and their goodwill,being sidelined in a familial crusade for political point-scoring ?

Unable to see the wood for the trees through the rhetoric?

What's the axe the govt have to grind with daddy?

Not the Irish Government the Egyptian one. Daddy was an early supporter of the Muslim brotherhood, he was more vocal than Beth Lynch in the Rovers Return. Eventually the heat got turned up abut1995/6 and they quit and come over to Ireland and seem to have been granted Asylum status. (at this point any who says non genuine is a rascist). They were given the status of iman in the newly built Clonskeagh mosque.

Fast forward nearly 20 years. The arab sping is warming up and Daddy gets word it is warming up but he still cant return home. So he sends the Chiselers. That is when the story starts

• Advertisement

Not the Irish Government the Egyptian one. Daddy was an early supporter of the Muslim brotherhood, he was more vocal than Beth Lynch in the Rovers Return. Eventually the heat got turned up abut1995/6 and they quit and come over to Ireland and seem to have been granted Asylum status. (at this point any who says non genuine is a rascist). They were given the status of iman in the newly built Clonskeagh mosque.

Fast forward nearly 20 years. The arab sping is warming up and Daddy gets word it is warming up but he still cant return home. So he sends the Chiselers. That is when the story starts
    One could say that is a very cynical view :D

Out of curiousity was daddy suffiently strident in his early support of the mb for it to resonate with like minded Egyptians 20 years later? And conversely for the govt to see apprehending and detaining the son as revenge on daddy?

If so he must have been fairly extreme

told ya .... he is never getting out of there

One could say that is a very cynical view :D

And conversely for the govt to see apprehending and detaining the son as revenge on daddy?

Maybe it is cynical but you know where we send our burnt out dairy cows? To Egypt for beef. You may ask what has this young lad got to do with a multi billion Euro industry (Larry Goodman)? Absolutely nothing and that is why he is an unwelcome distraction.

Also he was part of the uprising and his Videos .... oops sorry they were taken down by the family and no you cant look at them. then they baraceded them selves into the minarret tower and were sniping at cop 3 of the cops were killed. Daddys past history didnt help him. So you understand why the Egyptians want to crucify him slowly? If he get home he can tell everyone this is how it is done!!

After the sisters skipping off? Not a chance!!!!

Maybe it is cynical but you know where we send our burnt out dairy cows? To Egypt for beef. You may ask what has this young lad got to do with a multi billion Euro industry (Larry Goodman)? Absolutely nothing and that is why he is an unwelcome distraction.

Also he was part of the uprising and his Videos .... oops sorry they were taken down by the family and no you cant look at them. then they baraceded them selves into the minarret tower and were sniping at cop 3 of the cops were killed. Daddys past history didnt help him. So you understand why the Egyptians want to crucify him slowly? If he get home he can tell everyone this is how it is done!!

Is there evidence it was them I.e the halawas sniping or were they just onlookers?

Is there evidence it was them I.e the halawas sniping or were they just onlookers?

It was just the son. Now depends where you get our apples from

a) they were out buying post cards when they heard the riot and took refuge in the Mosque

or

b) They went into Mosque and up the minaret tower and boarded them selves in and were sniping on cops. When the knock came he was the first one to shout he was an Irish Citizen. Anyone who knows anything about the Geneva convention, religious buildings are off limits.

You make up your own mind

It was just the son. Now depends where you get our apples from

a) they were out buying post cards when they heard the riot and took refuge in the Mosque

or

b) They went into Mosque and up the minaret tower and boarded them selves in and were sniping on cops. When the knock came he was the first one to shout he was an Irish Citizen. Anyone who knows anything about the Geneva convention, religious buildings are off limits.

You make up your own mind

Ah so does that explain why the sister's got bailed and he didn't? Apologies for all the questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd point out that they have simultaneously charged 400 plus others with involvement in the exact same "sniping" incident and allow you come to your own conclusions on that.

Nodin wrote: »
    I'd point out that they have simultaneously charged 400 plus others with involvement in the exact same "sniping" incident and allow you come to your own conclusions on that.

But why him and not the sister's if they were all there?

Ah so does that explain why the sister's got bailed and he didn't? Apologies for all the questions

The Ambassador (a woman) was in there like a shot and got them a deal. the sisters were arrested and released on bail. The cops hadnt worked out who they had it all happened so fast. She got him a walk away deal, it is plausable an Irish guy could get caught up in it all. But the Father stalled the walk away deal. All he had to do was give up his Egyptian citizenship and sign he would not return to Egypt. Once the Egyptian found out who Daddy was after he had rejected it the Deal was off the table.

If Halawa gets out then you can do what ever you like in the middle east and claim protection of an neutral Irish Passport..... See what do you thinkhe will be telling all the little kids in Clonskeagh about his summer holidays?

You can believe that or you can go back to they were shopping for postcards in the Souk...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement