Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nodin wrote: »
    Does that mean that no Irish person can comment or protest about Sudan, Iran, Russia, Palestine, West Papua, Whaling or any other issue outside the borders, or does this just apply to people born abroad?

Let them comment all they want, if they value their safety let them keep out of dangerous places where getting involved in protests run the risk of ending up like the fella we are talking about.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Why? Should that apply to Irish people of British or Polish heritage too?

What Irish people of Polish heritage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I thought he was going to be executed because he was gay or something, nope it's because he went over intentionally looking for trouble!

In fairness I'm still sympathetic to him but he should have never went over in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nodin wrote: »
    Does that mean that no Irish person can comment or protest about Sudan, Iran, Russia, Palestine, West Papua, Whaling or any other issue outside the borders, or does this just apply to people born abroad?

Of course they can - but if they get in bother and the Irish ambassador negotiates an edit for them they can opt to take advantage of that or they can reject it and roll the dice with the local judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Calibos wrote: »
    Even if thats the case, so Fcuking what??? So what if they went out with the intentions to protest against a horrible regime??

I think the point is they went out to Eygpt with the intention of protesting FOR A HORRIBLE REGIME - the Muslim Brotherhood. I hope he rots over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

What Irish people of Polish heritage?

I'm sure we have tens of thousands of Irish people of Polish heritage here. Would you support their natural right to go to Poland to support their relatives in the event of political/social upheaval?

I'm sure we have tens of thousands of Irish people of Polish heritage here. Would you support their natural right to go to Poland to support their relatives in the event of political/social upheaval?

What difference does it make to anyone here if Poles go over to their country to protest?
    They aren't going to look to the Irish Government to bail them out if they get in trouble.

Where are these people of Polish heritage?

We have Polish people here, they only started coming here 10 yesrs ago.

What difference does it make to anyone here if Poles go over to their country to protest?

You tell me?
    They aren't going to look to the Irish Government to bail them out if they get in trouble.

I'm sure they would.
    Where are these people of Polish heritage? We have Polish people here, they only started coming here 10 yesrs ago.

I'm confident we have plenty of Irish citizens of Eastern European heritage leaving secondary school these days.

You tell me?

I'm sure they would.

I'm confident we have plenty of Irish citizens of Eastern European heritage leaving secondary school these days.

No they wouldn't because Poland isn't a country where you get thrown in jail indefinately for protesting and it has no death penalty, I really didn't think this needed explaining to you.

Nope we don't have plenty of Irish citizens of EE heritage leaving secondary schools, the oldest of them would be barely 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I'm sure we have tens of thousands of Irish people of Polish heritage here.

No we don't. There were just over 3k Poles here in 2001 as per the census. Unless you expect a load of pre-teens to be running back to Poland, what's your point?

The Halawa chap is an Egyptian citizen in an Egyptian jail for attending Muslim Brotherhood rallies were himself and his siblings claimed to be "Egyptians from outside". Not Irish. Not Irish Egyptians. But Egyptians.

He's Oirish when suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

No we don't. There were just over 3k Poles here in 2001 as per the census. Unless you expect a load of pre-teens to be running back to Poland, what's your point?

The Halawa chap is an Egyptian citizen in an Egyptian jail for attending Muslim Brotherhood rallies were himself and his siblings claimed to be "Egyptians from outside". Not Irish. Not Irish Egyptians. But Egyptians.

He's Oirish when suits.

He's an Irish national with Egyptian heritage. Get used to it. The guy was born in Dublin and has lived here all his life.

Care to explain to me how someone born in Ireland who has lived here all his life is not actually Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There were just over 3k Poles here in 2001 as per the census.

He's Oirish when suits.

The Eastern Europeans are notoriously suspicious of any government collecting data. Considering the regime before and since WW2 I seriously think that many Eastern European who may have been working Cash in Hand opted out of the Census.

If the Department of Foreign Affairs tell you they are concerned about a developing situation, that means all hell is breaking loose. This guy should have been in School or studying in College and instead he is joining a regime that wants to subvert the West. He is well beyond our zone of influence. Made his bed let him lie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Let his father go get him

Putinovsky wrote: »
    He's an Irish national with Egyptian heritage. Get used to it. The guy was born in Dublin and has lived here all his life.

Care to explain to me how someone born in Ireland who has lived here all his life is not actually Irish?

The same some lads in Boston are american but signing up for the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Their bodies may be in America but their heart is here.

Its times like this when he was called to respond that he answered the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood call. So when he gets back to Ireland. Do you think it is over? No he is going to be down the Mosque telling impressionable teens it is their duty to join the struggle overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

I think the point is they went out to Eygpt with the intention of protesting FOR A HORRIBLE REGIME - the Muslim Brotherhood. I hope he rots over there.
    Any evidence for this claim?

Well he and his sisters didnt go over there picking bananas. They were warned before they left there was trouble and they were at protests

Icepick wrote: »

Ah excellent, an insider, please tell us the real reason he went there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Icepick wrote: »

The video of them speaking on behalf of the Brotherhood at the rally, posted a couple of pages ago...

The Halawas went over there on holliers and ended up leading tens of thousands of people at a Muslim Brotherhood rally. Could happen to anyone.

You lads would swallow a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

The Halawas went over there on holliers and ended up leading tens of thousands of people at a Muslim Brotherhood rally. Could happen to anyone.

You lads would swallow a brick.

Care to answer my question on how a person born in Ireland who has lived in Ireland all his life is not actually Irish?

• Advertisement

Care to answer my question on how a person born in Ireland who has lived in Ireland all his life is not actually Irish?

Sure. Watch the video I linked to earlier where the Halawas state that they are "Egyptians from the outside".

No they wouldn't because Poland isn't a country where you get thrown in jail indefinately for protesting and it has no death penalty

I asked if in the event of political/social upheaval, like we see in Ukraine, not a holiday. Short of getting the crayons out I can't make it any more simple

Lots of people moved here with their children who'd now be Irish citizens by law and thus entitled to Irish consular assistance.

The question is hypothetical. The heritage of these people is inconsequential; Polish, Ukrainian, Somali, Israeli, Nigerian, Black, White, Asian, Muslim, Christian or Jew, it doesn't matter they're Irish.

Do you people accept that your fellow Irish citizens have the right to return to their countries of heritage, for whatever reason, and as Irish citizens have the right to consular assistance as Irish citizens if they end up in situations that require it?

Beside the point really. If I go to Florida, on holiday, and wreck the gaff, then get arrested for it, are you gonna come get me, are ya?

I asked if in the event of political/social upheaval, like we see in Ukraine, not a holiday. Short of getting the crayons out I can't make it any more simple

Lots of people moved here with their children who'd now be Irish citizens by law and thus entitled to Irish consular assistance.

The question is hypothetical. The heritage of these people is inconsequential; Polish, Ukrainian, Somali, Israeli, Nigerian, Black, White, Asian, Muslim, Christian or Jew, it doesn't matter they're Irish.

Do you people accept that your fellow Irish citizens have the right to return to their countries of heritage, for whatever reason, and as Irish citizens have the right to consular assistance as Irish citizens if they end up in situations that require it?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Sure. Watch the video I linked to earlier where the Halawas state that they are "Egyptians from the outside".

they are of egyptian herritage, but actually irish citizens. end of.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The same way some lads in Boston are American but signing up for the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Their bodies may be in America but their heart is here.

Its times like this when he was called to respond that he answered the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood call. So when he gets back to Ireland. Do you think it is over? No he is going to be down the Mosque telling impressionable teens it is their duty to join the struggle overseas.

This Lad is no Choir boy, he is over there as part of regime change for unified Muslim state. He was warned when going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

That article seemed awfully biased to me, or do they not include the allegations against him because Egypt is so corrupt as to not supply them?

If he's just some poor kid who was studying abroad and got arrested for nothing, I feel for him.

If he went to Egypt and *broke the law* and was arrested for it. Well, I'm mostly okay with it. I wish they'd treat their prisoners better.

If he went to Egypt and did something really bad or intentionally broke the law, because he wanted to....then I'm totally okay with it.

You dont have a right to it if you were forewarned by the DoFF, used great efforts to get there and then put yourself in the way of danger and got caught. Its not the Irish Governments Job to sort out every idiots problem. I also make reference to the two dopes in Peru who were working as Porridge Sales Reps

when he gets back to Ireland. Do you think it is over? No he is going to be down the Mosque telling impressionable teens it is their duty to join the struggle overseas.

Hey Nostradamus, while you're peering into the future could you get me next weekend's lotto numbers? Good man.

• Advertisement

You dont have a right to it if you were forewarned by the DoFF

Is there some sort of booklet that says this or are you making it up as you go along?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement