Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

i don't

the people of the south, yes . a united ireland should happen whether they want it or not if the people of NI vote to join us as a united ireland is meant to be and must happen.

wrong. i'm not championing the MB, all though i do recognise they were democratically elected whereas the military junta which are more of the same forced their way in.

i don't contradict myself.

Yet you fail to recognize the fact the MB pushed forward legislation to slowly remove the democratic process. Hence the "fascist, vermin, parissitic, invalid, militewwy junta" stepping in to rectify it.

"I don't" = I have no credible response so I'll just say no. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Racist , agenda, rabel, d gubbermint, no it won't because I said so, condone random actions abroad, repeat ad nauseum. *insert inarticulate, incoherent nonsense here*

Just stop.
    your wrong again. our interfearence in these countries give the extremists ammunition and lots of recruits. only our government turning on us can really threaten our democracy, not a bunch of loons

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

This "citizen" needs to take responsibility for his own actions. Oh by the way once this little turd comes home he want to put infidels (Christians, moderate muslims and Atheists) heads on pikes. If you are not comfortable with that do what I do and send him "two Thumbs up". Anyone would think twice if they thought it mean losing thier EU passport
    they wouldn't think twice at all. if they wanted to get back they would get back, otherwise europe the country they are from by removing their passport will be allowing them to stay and cause problems for these countries and causing us problems as people have to leave and come for here. our citizens are our problem and our responsibility to keep in check

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Yet you fail to recognize the fact the MB pushed forward legislation to slowly remove the democratic process. Hence the "fascist, vermin, parissitic, invalid, militewwy junta" stepping in to rectify it.

"I don't" = I have no credible response so I'll just say no. FFS.
    the military junta are more of the same. they stepped in because their powers were going to be brought down to the levels of western militaries, ie none. no doubt the MB are filth but so are the military. the military are no different but have a better immage

your wrong again. our interfearence in these countries give the extremists ammunition and lots of recruits. only our government turning on us can really threaten our democracy, not a bunch of loons

Wrong about what exactly ? Can you quote specifically this "wrong statement" please.

All I've done is point to the inaccurate, nonsensical statements you've come out with thus far. How exactly has Ireland "interfered" with Egypt ? "D west caused all of dis". Just daft analogy after daft analogy that has nothing to do with the thread. You're on another planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

they wouldn't think twice at all. if they wanted to get back they would get back, otherwise europe the country they are from by removing their passport will be allowing them to stay and cause problems for these countries and causing us problems as people have to leave and come for here. our citizens are our problem and our responsibility to keep in check

If your passport is gone and your PPS number is suspened then you cant do anything. You can't rent, work, get social welfare, have a bank account, you cant do anything. If you were fore warned of the consequences then you would go home and be a very good boy and go to college get your degree and take up a nice job in 3 bedroomed semi-d in West Dublin. Against the alternative of being cast out of the EU and no other State willing to take you within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

i don't

the people of the south, yes . a united ireland should happen whether they want it or not if the people of NI vote to join us as a united ireland is meant to be and must happen.

wrong. i'm not championing the MB, all though i do recognise they were democratically elected whereas the military junta which are more of the same forced their way in.

So you want to force something on the majority of the people on the island, and then you say you are for democracy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

So you want to force something on the majority of the people on the island, and then you say you are for democracy :rolleyes:

Well on EOTRs planet that is called democracy but where the majority of people reject the madcap attempt to over throw a military government in a second world country that control our flow of oil, we then that is just a Dictatorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Nothing more dangerous on earth than people who are sure they are right.

• Advertisement

Wrong about what exactly ? Can you quote specifically this "wrong statement" please.

All I've done is point to the inaccurate, nonsensical statements you've come out with thus far. How exactly has Ireland "interfered" with Egypt ? "D west caused all of dis". Just daft analogy after daft analogy that has nothing to do with the thread. You're on another planet.
    the west has mostly caused the problem. overthrowing governments and installing puppet governments. giving these extremist groups recruits on a plate, and more

psinno wrote: »
    Nothing more dangerous on earth than people who are sure they are right.

Oh i am well aware of EOTR's stance on many things and the only thing he/she is consistent about is the fact that he/she is NEVER EVER EVER wrong!

If your passport is gone and your PPS number is suspened then you cant do anything. You can't rent, work, get social welfare, have a bank account, you cant do anything. If you were fore warned of the consequences then you would go home and be a very good boy and go to college get your degree and take up a nice job in 3 bedroomed semi-d in West Dublin. Against the alternative of being cast out of the EU and no other State willing to take you within the EU.
    you can survive on crime if you need to. removing these peoples passports will make no difference apart from causing these people to run around from country to country causing problems and putting the rest of the world at risk. should anything happen, then its the fault of the country who removed the passport and they will be responsible for t act of whatever it may be. terrorism, murder, so on

its what the people of NI want that matters. if you truely are irish you will vote for a UI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You like to pick and choose when and where democracy applies.

In Northern Ireland, you want a United Ireland regardless of how the people would vote in a referendum.

[...]

"whether they want it or not" Don't make me laugh :pac:
    Earlier on in this thread you were very clear that the MB, regardless of their policies, should have been allowed to stay in power due to being democratically elected.
    And you were very quick to refer to those as "vermin" who changed the situation.
    How can you justify saying that a united Ireland should be imposed on the people of the south just because the people of the north (or you) say so.
    Sounds like a bit of a contradiction to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

you can survive on crime if you need to. removing these peoples passports will make no difference apart from causing these people to run around from country to country causing problems and putting the rest of the world at risk. should anything happen, then its the fault of the country who removed the passport and they will be responsible for t act of whatever it may be. terrorism, murder, so on

Like they are already doing ? Or do people go on holiday to Syria ?

• Advertisement

its what the people of NI want that matters. if you truely are irish you will vote for a UI

When has that ever existed ?

And if the people of NI voted and decided the whole of Ireland should go back under British rule you would also be happy with that because "it's what the people of NI want that matters" right?

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Irish demographics of the country has changed dramatically over the last Fifty years, I imagine that a lot of our new citizens couldn't give a flying flea about a united Ireland yet you feel that they are as Irish as any Irishman (or Irishwoman) that could trace their heritage back to the Vikings.
    I would even go as far as saying that if you asked the thousands of new citizens, migrants, refugees etc or their over 18y.o. children what its all about, most of them wouldn't know nor care. Are they not as Irish as you would like to believe, even if they do hold an Irish passport?
    Again the contradiction from you..
    Person holds an Irish passport and born here = True Irish Person.
    Irish Person who doesn't vote nor care for a united Ireland = Not Truly Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

the west has mostly caused the problem. overthrowing governments and installing puppet governments. giving these extremist groups recruits on a plate, and more

True. Most of the problems we now face from 'Islamism' and other extreme groups goes back to World War 2 and the proxy wars fought between superpowers.

For the most part, the Arab nationalist movement was supported by the USSR (Syria's close ties to Russia are a present day reminder of this). The US supported other states and included Saudi Arabia (the most conservative Muslim state then and now). Egypt went from being a US enemy to ally after Nasser died. Iraq went from US enemy to ally back to enemy.

Islamist groups were often supported by the US against Arab nationalist or communist enemies. This really came into focus in the Afghan war of the 1980s. But in the longer term, 'Islamism' became an enemy of the US and used stupid foreign policy like the second Iraq war to recruit. The sentiments of anti-colonialism, Arab nationalism and Mohammed's initial struggle against an oppressive overlord are all used cleverly and manipulatively by such groups.

The unfortunate situation now is that most Arab and Muslim countries have an 'Islamist' movement as the main opposition to the ruling government. Syria, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, Algeria, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Pakistan are the most notable examples. If any was to gain total power, it would not be good. A vast 'Islamist' superstate in North Africa is a major worry and a major possibility. Mali and Niger, which border Algeria and Libya, are especially ripe for this. These 2 countries are run by ethnic African regimes that discriminate against their large Arab, Berber and Tuareg minorities. AQIM fills in the void as a voice for these downtrodden people. Connect this with Libya, ISIS and Boko Haram, and you have a very dangerous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I couldn't care a less whether the irish public care about him or not. I'm just glad its not having any barring on the Irish Government doing its duty

I'm afraid that after a significant number of posts decrying the Irish Government for percieved inaction on this gentlemans behalf,you can hardly come on here now suddenly admitting that the same Irish Government IS doing it's duty,well above and beyond what it's actual obligations are.

That volte-face surely merits some admission of mea-culpa on your behalf ?

That alone,might allow other posters to attach some form of credibility to your views on the issue,as thus far,all we read is largely ill informed anti-establishment ranting.

The latest clarification form the new Egyptian Ambassador to Ireland,Ms Soha Gendi (Crikey...a WOMAN :eek:) adds some more detail to a narrative which has consistently proven the Halawa family's accounts to be inaccurate,if not,downright politically inspired lying?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/egypt-rules-out-special-treatment-for-irish-teenager-31211355.html
    Ms Gendi also said that Mr Halawa's three sisters, who were arrested at the same protest, had "skipped the country" after being released on bail and faced re-arrest if they returned. A court could make findings against them in their absence.

The issue remains as to whether the Halawa sisters have enough faith in their own cause to answer the Bail terms they obtained their freedom under.

We in Ireland,have become inured to serial criminals walking around committing additional multiple crimes whilst "On Bail",so perhaps the Halawa family see no great issue with the same Ireland supporting their "Special" reasoning for abusing Egyptian bail laws also.
    The ambassador described them as "activists" and said: "These were a bunch of people who knew what they were doing." She also alleged Ibrahim Halawa had been filmed saying: "I am here to help the Egyptians to create an Islamic state."

Most likely,the cornerstone of the entire issue......a well educated young family,with a very motivated set of elders,all dedicated to achieving the dominance of their set of Islamic beliefs.

Incredibly,even at this juncture,it appears the Halawa family consider it worthwhile to continue with the "Family Holiday" spin.....
    The Halawa siblings, whose father is Ireland's most senior Islamic cleric, Sheikh Hussein Halawa, have denied membership of the group and say they joined the protests while on holidays in Egypt, where some of the family were born.

By far and away the most interesting element of today's report is the reality of Mr Halawa facing somewhat lesser charges than those which would guarantee a Death Sentence,although the punishments enforced by other States in the region do tend to be of a level somewhat beyond recieving "The Benefit of The Probation Acts"....
    While some of those being held will face charges for murder and other serious offences, the Irish Independent has learned Halawa will face lesser charges. Sources said the charges he faces are of being present at the mosque, deliberately travelling to the mosque for the protest, barricading the mosque from the inside and not accepting safe passage out of the mosque.

Ms Gendi claimed that the then-Irish ambassador to Egypt, Isolde Moylan, had negotiated safe passage from the mosque for Halawa and his three sisters.

"They should have accepted the safe haven they were offered," said Ms Gendi.

Halawa's sister Somaia (29) confirmed that embassy officials had told them by phone that their safe passage from the mosque had been guaranteed.

However, she said they did not feel they could leave the building safely.

"There were thugs outside shouting that if we went outside they were going to kill us," she said. "There was also a curfew in place. We didn't have the right to leave. We believed that if we left at that time, they had the right to arrest us."

Ms Gendi said Halawa was being treated well in prison and had received regular visits from Irish consular officials.

Some VERY interesting elements in the above quote....

Safe passage negotiated and offered.
    The protesters were not representative of ALL present in the Mosque.
    Again,NO evidence of ANY mistreatment of torture of Mr Halawa.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

If you dont believe it then chck out the Grand Mufti during WW2. "Dont send Jews to Palestine send them to Poland". And Hitler thought he was an Alright Guy

Here's an interesting link for you

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4364/arab-muslim-antisemitism

This deals with the Mufti, the MB, Hitler, every one is in here.

If you dont believe it then chck out the Grand Mufti during WW2. "Dont send Jews to Palestine send them to Poland". And Hitler thought he was an Alright Guy

Additionally, blogs frequently have comments that the Jews should FO back to where they came from - Germany Poland Russia.

Well, that's 5000 years of history being ignored right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Here's an interesting link for you

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4364/arab-muslim-antisemitism

This deals with the Mufti, the MB, Hitler, every one is in here.

There is a clear link between Nazism and al Qaedaism and a big part of that is the Muslim Brotherhood. And even a part of the Nazi's army was the Handschar Waffen SS made up of Arab 'Islamist' fanatics. Hitler's dealings with the Grand Mufti are well documented.

Many Nazis fled with money to the Middle East. Most notable was Alois Brunner, who lived in Syria apparently alive up until a few years back. The so-called Islamic Revolution and Nazism had a lot in common: first off, Germany was not seen as a colonial power and second, Nazi Germany had the same enemies as the Arabs: British, French, Jews. Embittered Nazis bankrolled a lot of Middle East organisations that eventually turned into today's so-called Islamic Revolution. Violence has caused many of the region's states to be unsound.

But it comes as no surprise why all these states are failed. Most were artificially created entities based largely on what were governed by French, British or Turks. They often used old names such as Syria, Israel, Egypt, Mali, etc. based on a once glorious empire or kingdom. But their borders were not of those but of whatever colony it was before! Often, groups who traditionally hated each other found themselves united in the one state! Things like the Iraq chaos were inevitable. And those who want a caliphate should not surprise anyone. At one time, there were only 3 independent Islamic entities: Ottoman Turkey, Persia (aka Iran) and Afghanistan. Syria and Iraq were in the heart of the Ottoman caliphate as was North Africa and the Arabian peninsula. So, it is clear where they get their ideas. Hitler and the Nazis aimed to form a pro-Nazi caliphate covering that area. They also had good relations with the first Pahlavi Shah in Persia and was aiming to use this area to stiffle Stalin's resources. Ironically, the US would try to do similar later. Afghanistan and the Nazis I have yet to read up on but I am sure they wanted to have anti-USSR people there. Japan was taking care of the area to the East of course too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

There is a clear link between Nazism and al Qaedaism and a big part of that is the Muslim Brotherhood. And even a part of the Nazi's army was the Handschar Waffen SS made up of Arab 'Islamist' fanatics. Hitler's dealings with the Grand Mufti are well documented.

Many Nazis fled with money to the Middle East. Most notable was Alois Brunner, who lived in Syria apparently alive up until a few years back. The so-called Islamic Revolution and Nazism had a lot in common: first off, Germany was not seen as a colonial power and second, Nazi Germany had the same enemies as the Arabs: British, French, Jews. Embittered Nazis bankrolled a lot of Middle East organisations that eventually turned into today's so-called Islamic Revolution. Violence has caused many of the region's states to be unsound.

But it comes as no surprise why all these states are failed. Most were artificially created entities based largely on what were governed by French, British or Turks. They often used old names such as Syria, Israel, Egypt, Mali, etc. based on a once glorious empire or kingdom. But their borders were not of those but of whatever colony it was before! Often, groups who traditionally hated each other found themselves united in the one state! Things like the Iraq chaos were inevitable. And those who want a caliphate should not surprise anyone. At one time, there were only 3 independent Islamic entities: Ottoman Turkey, Persia (aka Iran) and Afghanistan. Syria and Iraq were in the heart of the Ottoman caliphate as was North Africa and the Arabian peninsula. So, it is clear where they get their ideas. Hitler and the Nazis aimed to form a pro-Nazi caliphate covering that area. They also had good relations with the first Pahlavi Shah in Persia and was aiming to use this area to stiffle Stalin's resources. Ironically, the US would try to do similar later. Afghanistan and the Nazis I have yet to read up on but I am sure they wanted to have anti-USSR people there. Japan was taking care of the area to the East of course too.

Godwin's Law invoked. Discussion should end here! :)

K.Flyer wrote: »
    "whether they want it or not" Don't make me laugh
    Earlier on in this thread you were very clear that the MB, regardless of their policies, should have been allowed to stay in power due to being democratically elected.
    And you were very quick to refer to those as "vermin" who changed the situation.
    How can you justify saying that a united Ireland should be imposed on the people of the south just because the people of the north (or you) say so.
    Sounds like a bit of a contradiction to me
    because some of the people of the south can't be trusted not to sell us out. they have done it time and time again to the EU. so therefore as the people of the north won't tolerate being sold out, should they want to join us down here in the republic it has to be done whether the sellouts want it or not

And if the people of NI voted and decided the whole of Ireland should go back under British rule you would also be happy with that because "it's what the people of NI want that matters" right?
    no, thats different as the south is a republic.

no, thats different as the south is a republic.

LOLs

These are literal lols btw. People in the office are giving me strange looks.

AlekSmart wrote: »

I'm afraid that after a significant number of posts decrying the Irish Government for percieved inaction on this gentlemans behalf,you can hardly come on here now suddenly admitting that the same Irish Government IS doing it's duty,well above and beyond what it's actual obligations are.

That volte-face surely merits some admission of mea-culpa on your behalf ?

That alone,might allow other posters to attach some form of credibility to your views on the issue,as thus far,all we read is largely ill informed anti-establishment ranting.

The latest clarification form the new Egyptian Ambassador to Ireland,Ms Soha Gendi (Crikey...a WOMAN :eek:) adds some more detail to a narrative which has consistently proven the Halawa family's accounts to be inaccurate,if not,downright politically inspired lying?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/egypt-rules-out-special-treatment-for-irish-teenager-31211355.html

The issue remains as to whether the Halawa sisters have enough faith in their own cause to answer the Bail terms they obtained their freedom under.

We in Ireland,have become inured to serial criminals walking around committing additional multiple crimes whilst "On Bail",so perhaps the Halawa family see no great issue with the same Ireland supporting their "Special" reasoning for abusing Egyptian bail laws also.

Most likely,the cornerstone of the entire issue......a well educated young family,with a very motivated set of elders,all dedicated to achieving the dominance of their set of Islamic beliefs.

Incredibly,even at this juncture,it appears the Halawa family consider it worthwhile to continue with the "Family Holiday" spin.....

By far and away the most interesting element of today's report is the reality of Mr Halawa facing somewhat lesser charges than those which would guarantee a Death Sentence,although the punishments enforced by other States in the region do tend to be of a level somewhat beyond recieving "The Benefit of The Probation Acts"....

Some VERY interesting elements in the above quote....

Safe passage negotiated and offered.
    The protesters were not representative of ALL present in the Mosque.
    Again,NO evidence of ANY mistreatment of torture of Mr Halawa.
    i never stated the irish government weren't doing anything. i've stated plenty of times they are doing their duty, so your post means nothing.

Fahmy, the al-Jazeera journalist is suing the broadcaster for putting him in danger and imperilling his life.

He also describes Al-Jazeera as sponsors of the MB.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/11/world/fahmy-al-jazeera-lawsuit/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

anvilfour wrote: »
    Godwin's Law invoked. Discussion should end here! :)
    It's not an abuse of Godwin's law if the comparison is a correct one.

Fahmy, the al-Jazeera journalist is suing the broadcaster for putting him in danger and imperilling his life.

He also describes Al-Jazeera as sponsors of the MB.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/11/world/fahmy-al-jazeera-lawsuit/index.html

yet he was happy to work for the "sponsors of the MB" i'd say he is probably saying they are to further his case, but who knows

yet he was happy to work for the "sponsors of the MB" i'd say he is probably saying they are to further his case, but who knows

Seems an odd one alright, Work for the agency then be all like hey wait a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

IBRAHIM HALAWA IS not facing murder charges, it has emerged.

It had been reported that the Tallaght man – who was arrested more than a year-and-a-half ago during a protest in Cairo – was facing charges of murder, attempted murder and participating in an illegal protest.

New information

Today, the Taoiseach said that according to information recently received by the embassy from Ibrahim Halawa’s legal team, not all of the defendants are facing identical charges.

This had originally been thought to be the case and was “a key cause of concern”, said Kenny.

He elaborated:

It now appears that there are different charges against different defendants within the group trial and that Ibrahim Halawa is one of a relatively large group of defendants facing more preliminary charges related to events at the al-Fatah mosque

Then why were the family and Amnesty Ireland constantly claiming that he was up on a trumped up murder charge and facing the DP?
    These are:

■Presence inside the mosque at the time of arrest
    ■Refusal to leave the mosque when requested to do so and when offered safe passage by military police
    ■Travelling from a different part of the city with the intention of getting involved in a protest
    ■Assisting in locking and barricading the mosque from the inside, according to photo and video evidence

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Minister are seeking clarification of the exact charges against Ibrahim and examining what this change may mean, said Kenny.

“In the meantime, and on the face of it, the new information would seem to be a somewhat positive development,” said Kenny.
    Kenny said that where an Irish citizen is charged with an offence under the law of a foreign country and is imprisoned in that country, it is the foreign law that applies.

The decision to release Halawa either on bail or on any other basis will be made solely by the Egyptian authorities.
    “Since he was detained originally in August 2013 he has received consular visits on 37 different occasions,” said Kenny.

Yet the sisters still claim that he's being ignored by the governemnet!
    The Taoiseach said that “any inappropriate escalation of political intervention could well be counterproductive to our objectives in this case and to Mr Halawa’s best interests”.

The Taoiseach also said that “no other consular case is receiving greater attention in the Minister, Deputy Flanagan’s Department at this time than the Halawa case”

Full article - http://www.thejournal.ie/ibrahim-halawa-arrest-2099427-May2015/

Good to see that things are being cleared up, first by the Egyptian ambassador to Ireland and now with Kennys comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

More lies to gloss over the other lies they told

They couldn't lie straight in bed

Then why were the family and Amnesty Ireland constantly claiming that he was up on a trumped up murder charge and facing the DP?

well, because he was, and probably still is . after all why would you trust the egyptians. all this "clarification" by the egyptians could simply be just reassurence to satisfy the irish government with no evidence it is actually the case
    Yet the sisters still claim that he's being ignored by the governemnet!

what of it. they are annoyed their brother is still in jail and are sounding off.
    Good to see that things are being cleared up, first by the Egyptian ambassador to Ireland and now with Kennys comments.

cleared up? when he is released with time served then i'l believe it. until then, its the Egyptian ambassador simply telling the irish government what they want to hear, and kenny simply passing it on.

well, because he was, and probably still is . after all why would you trust the egyptians. all this "clarification" by the egyptians could simply be just reassurence to satisfy the irish government with no evidence it is actually the case

what of it. they are annoyed their brother is still in jail and are sounding off.

cleared up? when he is released with time served then i'l believe it. until then, its the Egyptian ambassador simply telling the irish government what they want to hear, and kenny simply passing it on.

How is it possible for one person to be so wrong so often :rolleyes:

The sisters have accused the Irish government of racism, islamophobia and of ignoring the chaps plight because he is of non Irish heritage. Yet, the consulate have visited him 37 times. The Minister for Foreign Affairs has met with the family twice and met with with his Egyptian counterpart in New York City to discuss the case. The ambassador attended all his trials in person in which the media once described as an 'unprecedented show of strength'. The case is constantly in the media in which they paint the chap in a favourable light and report all of the families claims as if they were an undeniable fact. TDs have campaigned for his release.

Compare and contrast to this case:
    A Cork man has launched a campaign to help his brother, who has been trapped in the Philippines for almost two years while appealing against a 12-year jail sentence for what his family believes was a trumped-up drugs charge.

Mr Ó Cochláin, 55, a nurse who lives and works in London with his Filipino wife Jho and their daughter Caoimhe, both of whom are Irish citizens, travelled to the Philipines with Jho in the summer of 2013 following her father’s death.

On July 14, 2013, the couple went to Laoag International Airport in Laoag City, capital of the Ilocos Norte province in the Philippines, to board a Cebu Pacific flight to Manila — the first leg of their journey back to London.

They passed through two security checks without incident but, on the final inspection stage, the airport’s aviation security command (ASC) searched Mr Ó Cochláin’s luggage.

Police spokesman Supt Jeffrey Gorospe said the ASC found two sticks of dried marijuana leaves inside a Marlboro cigarette pack.

Pat Coghlan said that his brother strenuously denies any knowledge of the drugs.

“My brother worked in 22 countries all over the world. He worked as a nurse in Iran during the Iran-Iraq war. He is so experienced at passing in and out of airports. He’s not a fool,” he said.

“And he wants the joints to be subject to DNA tests to prove they’re not his, but he can’t get that done.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/appeal-to-end-cork-nurses-philippines-nightmare-329093.html

Very little media coverage, no mention of it in the Dail and no protests by the usual suspects. It drives a train to the sisters claims and accusations. The state has went above and beyond for Halawa.

The sisters have accused the Irish government of racism, islamophobia and of ignoring the chaps plight because he is of non Irish heritage. Yet, the consulate have visited him 37 times. The Minister for Foreign Affairs has met with the family twice and met with with his Egyptian counterpart in New York City to discuss the case. The ambassador attended all his trials in person in which the media once described as an 'unprecedented show of strength'. The case is constantly in the media in which they paint the chap in a favourable light and report all the families claims as if they are an undeniable claim. TDs have campaigned for his release.

Compare and contrast to this case:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/appeal-to-end-cork-nurses-philippines-nightmare-329093.html

Very little media coverage, no mention of it in the Dail and no protests by the usual suspects. It drives a train to the sisters claims and accusations. The state has went above and beyond for Halawa.

Sick isn't it ? I was listening to the brother the other day on the radio. Your man is under house arrest and afraid to leave now that he's criticized the Filipino judiciary on claims of extortion and falsified drug charges. The wife had to go back to the UK to pay the mortgage and raise money for solicitor fees.

But no. The media and the willful ignoramuses on Social Media would rather shine a light on a shower of zealot Egyptians trying to garner sympathy for their idiot brother & campaign on behalf of the MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

What of it?

So basically they are caught telling lies. And you are saying it's justified? I believe they would have got more people on side if they told the truth.

Or, maybe when the truth is you are a Muslim brotherhood supporter nobody in Ireland is supportive of that. So lying is the best course of action when you don't want people to know your true intentions.

Again I don't wish anything ill on the young man. But I certainly wouldn't be supportive of the MB.

emo72 wrote: »
    So basically they are caught telling lies. And you are saying it's justified? I believe they would have got more people on side if they told the truth.

I believe this too. If they put up their hands at the start and said that he's young, hot headed and got caught up in the furore the family would have received a lot more support from the general Irish population. Instead they lied constantly and started accusing the government of all sorts. Not a good move.

I believe this too. If they put up their hands at the start and said that he's young, hot headed and got caught up in the furore the family would have received a lot more support from the general Irish population.

no they wouldn't

no they wouldn't

Telling a pack of lies rarely gets you support from people. Not once it is obvious anyway.

no they wouldn't

The Oracle of Truth has spoken.

I believe this too. If they put up their hands at the start and said that he's young, hot headed and got caught up in the furore the family would have received a lot more support from the general Irish population. Instead they lied constantly and started accusing the government of all sorts. Not a good move.

Yeah no doubt. Young idealistic people can make really bad decisions, happens in lots of families, it's part of growing up. And we can all forgive people who make mistakes. People would have got behind if the sisters had told the truth. We all have a sibling or nephew or niece who really screw's up, but we forgive.

But the sisters were shrieking "racism, and he isn't white so you don't care."

When the truth is Irish people are very accommodating, very welcoming and help out the less unfortunate the world over.

Oh and the government are bending over backwards to help.

Will we get an apology from them now?

• Advertisement

no they wouldn't

So okay, you are saying they lied. They had to lie because the Irish are unforgiving. Interesting opinion you have there. You don't think much of the Irish people.

So okay, you are saying they lied. They had to lie because the Irish are unforgiving.

i never said anything of the sort. nice try on twisting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yeah no doubt. Young idealistic people can make really bad decisions, happens in lots of families, it's part of growing up. And we can all forgive people who make mistakes. People would have got behind if the sisters had told the truth. We all have a sibling or nephew or niece who really screw's up, but we forgive.

What is the actual truth here? I don't think he can avail of the "hot headed, idealistic youth, guilty of a bad decision" card. While the sins of the father shouldn't necessarily apply in all cases, here we have the son of a senior player in the MB, possibly despatched to shore up support for the protests (violent ones at that), the fact that he was allowed address the crowd suggests he was of significance. A form of martyrdom might have been a consideration when he refused to avail himself of the consular offer.

The sisters played their cards best they could, and to be honest, would Irish people have given a monkeys if they told the truth? It would probably have been a case of "meh, not my problem, let the Egyptians sort out their own affairs". Instead though they've pissed people off with their constant lies and charges of racism.

It's not a case of him being black, brown, pink or any shade inbetween, or if he is half/full/naturalised or born Irish, I don't want to see him wronged or harmed, he is a young fellla, but he seems to have made his proverbial bed, let him lie in it and contemplate where his father has placed him. That which he was protesting for might not have treated him as benignly in similar circumstances.

i never said anything of the sort. nice try on twisting though.

It was said that if they told the truth, they would have got support of the Irish people.

Your response was "no they wouldn't".

What exactly do you mean by " no they wouldn't" ?

It was said that if they told the truth, they would have got support of the Irish people.

Your response was "no they wouldn't".

What exactly do you mean by " no they wouldn't" ?
    it means exactly what it says on the tin. no they wouldn't have got much support from the irish public. do you really need this explained to you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement