Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

it means exactly what it says on the tin. no they wouldn't have got much support from the irish public. do you really need this explained to you?

They got support from the government who knew they were lying.
    Support from the public is kinda irreverent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Well the upshot is they (the sisters) have been proved to be liars.

If the lad comes home and wants to get on with his life in the west, I wish him all the best. Maybe let his dad go to Egypt and try and find support for his own ideals.

Leave the lad here to be concentrating on his education and playing some hurling like the typical Irish lad he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

emo72 wrote: »
    Well the upshot is they (the sisters) have been proved to be liars.

If the lad comes home and wants to get on with his life in the west, I wish him all the best. Maybe let his dad go to Egypt and try and find support for his own ideals.

Leave the lad here to be concentrating on his education and playing some hurling like the typical Irish lad he is.

what if he doesn't like hurling. i don't, i'd rather watch paint dry. i'm still irish though

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

what if he doesn't like hurling. i don't, i'd rather watch paint dry. i'm still irish though

Yet you claim that people who are unconvinced on the merits of a United Ireland are not Irish. You're an incredible poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Then why were the family and Amnesty Ireland constantly claiming that he was up on a trumped up murder charge and facing the DP?

........because that's what they and the press thought?

Nodin wrote: »

He's never been charged with murder and if Kenny didn't answer Deputy Murphys question, we would still be none the wiser.
    It now appears that there are different charges against different defendants within the group trial and that Ibrahim Halawa is one of a relatively large group of defendants facing more preliminary charges related to events at the al-Fatah mosque

These are:

■Presence inside the mosque at the time of arrest
    ■Refusal to leave the mosque when requested to do so and when offered safe passage by military police
    ■Travelling from a different part of the city with the intention of getting involved in a protest
    ■Assisting in locking and barricading the mosque from the inside, according to photo and video evidence

He's never been charged with murder and if Kenny didn't answer Deputy Murphys question, we would still be none the wiser.
    we are still non the wiser. there is nothing to say those trumped up murder charges won't still go ahead.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

we are still non the wiser. there is nothing to say those trumped up murder charges won't still go ahead.

He is not up on a murder charge. What part of this do you have difficulty comprehending?

He is not up on a murder charge. What part of this do you have difficulty comprehending?
    according to the egyptians. who aren't exactly trust worthy now are they? they would never lie to us would they? not the irish?

according to the egyptians. who aren't exactly trust worthy now are they? they would never lie to us would they? not the irish?

Do you have any evidence that Ibrahim Halawa is up on a murder charge? Why would the Egyptians lie in this instance. He is due in court next month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

Guess we will know June 6th.

What about that fella in the Philippines? 12 years for three joints and insulting the judiciary.

Do they have a military junta there, do you think?

Terrible that these other countries are enforcing their own rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

It's nice to see EotR is still fighting the goo... well, still fighting the fight.

according to the egyptians. who aren't exactly trust worthy now are they?

The people who are going to charge him are telling you they're not charging him with murder, and you don't believe them?
    they would never lie to us would they? not the irish?

Are you talking about the family or the Government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Guess we will know June 6th.

What about that fella in the Philippines? 12 years for three joints and insulting the judiciary.

Do they have a military junta there, do you think?

Well. State parties have been known to 'buy' defence lawyers with rebels in hand even if the Judge is on the level. I'm not sure how worried I should be in this case though, I'm glad it's more of an 'internal' matter with Egypt propper.

yes that is disgusting aswell. he shouldn't even have been taken to court.

yes it is, when it involves butchery or ridiculous sentences for trivial matters.

It's nice to see EotR is still fighting the goo... well, still fighting the fight.

well, i'm happy not to simply trust governments blindingly and without question
    The people who are going to charge him are telling you they're not charging him with murder, and you don't believe them?

no, i don't. why should i. just because they call themselves a government
    Are you talking about the family or the Government?

the excuse for a government in egypt of course.

yes that is disgusting aswell. he shouldn't even have been taken to court.

yes it is, when it involves butchery or ridiculous sentences for trivial matters.

Do you now agree that the Irish government have went above and beyond for Halawa when compared to other Irish citizens imprisoned abroad, contrary to the Halawa sisters claims? Do you now agree that he is not up on a trumped up murder charge? Do you now agree that we have been peddled lies by the Halawa family?

Do you now agree that the Irish government have went above and beyond for Halawa when compared to other Irish citizens imprisoned abroad, contrary to the Halawa sisters claims?

not above and beyond no . this is a serious case where a young man is facing a murder charge along with 400 others on the basis of the government said so, and is facing being butchered when found guilty because the government say he is guilty.
    Do you now agree that he is not up on a trumped up murder charge?

no . i don't believe the egyptians
    Do you now agree that we have been peddled lies by the Halawa family?

no . all they did was sound off.

But nobody knew that till recently.

It now appears that there are different charges against
    different defendants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Then why were the family and Amnesty Ireland constantly claiming that he was up on a trumped up murder charge and facing the DP?

Amnesty Ireland are a "Charity" that depend on donations. Any publicity is free advertising. "You just keep this donations a coming in and we will get Mr. Halawa on the plane, like the true home grown, farming, god fearing, bacon and cabbage eatin', Guinness drinking, Glenroe watching Dub that he is.

Right now its a priority to bring him home so we are going to do that will more posters and publicity and sound bites but first we need more donations..... so if I could get a direct debt form your bank account, that would be so good of you. And we are also helping a troll who lives under a bridge in solitude and is suffering ethnic cleansing by despot band of Billy goats.

• Advertisement

Amnesty Ireland are a "Charity" that depend on donations. Any publicity is free advertising. "You just keep this donations a coming in and we will get Mr. Halawa on the plane, like the true home grown, farming, god fearing, bacon and cabbage eatin', Guinness drinking, Glenroe watching Dub that he is.

Right now its a priority to bring him home so we are going to do that will more posters and publicity and sound bites but first we need more donations..... so if I could get a direct debt form your bank account, that would be so good of you. And we are also helping a troll who lives under a bridge in solitude and is suffering ethnic cleansing by despot band of Billy goats.

I'll interrupt your sectarian jibes to ask if you've evidence that Amnesty knew he wasn't on murder charges. You might be good enough to give a straight answer instead of the usual multi-post evasion.

Again I don't wish anything ill on the young man. But I certainly wouldn't be supportive of the MB.

You do know his father wants to implement Sharia on us? What do you think he is going to do to the infidels (Muslim who deal with non muslims, Muslis who are not observent, Christians, Jews and Athiests and other non muslims) ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yet you claim that people who are unconvinced on the merits of a United Ireland are not Irish. You're an incredibly obtuse poster.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You really will pick a fight over any tenuous thing, won't you?

Maybe let his dad go to Egypt and try and find support for his own ideals.

Sorry we havent heard from the Shiek Halawa for some time, I would support the Imman making a contribution to the effort. He is normally so vocal on his opinions

I'll interrupt your sectarian jibes to ask if you've evidence that Amnesty knew he wasn't on murder charges. You might be good enough to give a straight answer instead of the usual multi-post evasion.

Who cares what crimes he was up on? The important thing is that they get donations... The Egyptians were torturing him and twisting his ear and being bold. Just get your donations in for godsake!!!

• Advertisement

not above and beyond no . this is a serious case where a young man is facing a murder charge along with 400 others on the basis of the government said so, and is facing being butchered when found guilty because the government say he is guilty.

no . all they did was sound off.

okay then. we all know where you stand now. best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps.....

Although if we return to post #1 in this thread,we see this....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teen-locked-up-in-egypt-jail-fears-execution-30158991.html

The article is from 6th April 2014.
    While Ibrahim's sisters were released on November 15 last year, their teenage brother was kept in prison and has now been held for over seven months without being charged with any offence.

His family says he believes he may face execution, following the decision by a judge two weeks ago to hand down the death penalty to 529 people accused of rioting.

So even when Mr Halawa had no charges laid against him,he was facing the Death Penalty...oh well...that's what they thought....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Who cares what crimes he was up on? The important thing is that they get donations... The Egyptians were torturing him and twisting his ear and being bold. Just get your donations in for godsake!!!

Do you have any evidence that Amnesty knew he was not charged with murder?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps.....

Although if we return to post #1 in this thread,we see this....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teen-locked-up-in-egypt-jail-fears-execution-30158991.html

The article is from 6th April 2014.

So even when Mr Halawa had no charges laid against him,he was facing the Death Penalty...oh well...that's what they thought....?

Your own quote shows why they thought that.

Group charges were laid subsequently to that article.

Do you have any evidence that Amnesty knew he was not charged with murder?

Who really cares? Course not but at least they got free publicity!! Isnt that all that really matters? They could be milking this little cash cow for years.... MOOO!!

• Advertisement

Who really cares? Course not but at least they got free publicity!! Isnt that all that really matters? They could be milking this little cash cow for years.... MOOO!!

So you're just making things up to slag off people as per usual. Grand. Just checking.

Nodin, whats the craic! have you been sent into this thread while EOTR is in the "Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med" thread?

What did the Egyptian ever do to you?

But nobody knew that till recently.

Oh, I'm sure the embassy staff, cabinet and the Taoiseach were well aware of what he was charged with. They have kept remarkably tight lipped even when scurrilous accusations and lies were thrown in their direction.

The media have just regurgitated the families lies from the beginning.

Nodin, whats the craic! have you been sent into this thread while EOTR is in the "Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med" thread?

You mean the "Cead Mile Failte" thread.

No, now and again I drop in here.

Both Kenny and the Egyptian ambassador have stated that he is not up on a murder charge. Kenny also stated that no consular case is receiving as much attention. You refuse to believe this despite having no evidence to the contrary.

You're some beaut.

You mean the "Cead Mile Failte" thread.

No, now and again I drop in here.

ha ha, no bother Nodin. i love your no nonsense posting style anyway. in fairness its a tough job trying to change the outlook of the likes of me who have reservations about our immigration policies. keep fighting the good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

well, i'm happy not to simply trust governments blindingly and without question

no, i don't. why should i. just because they call themselves a government

So we can take from that, and some of your previous posts, that "If" the main Irish political party that advocates a United Ireland ever got into power and became the government you wouldn't trust them either.
    Because then they would be the government, an entity you have serious distrust of.
    Kinda sounds like a bit of a contradiction again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

How did they know he was ? They would not just assume and make it up would they ?

How did they know he was ? They would not just assume and make it up would they ?

Everyone thought he was up on murder charges, including the Government, given the wording of the dail statement.

• Advertisement

Everyone thought he was up on murder charges, including the Government, given the wording of the dail statement.

Flanagan met his Egyptian counterpart in NY a few weeks ago. The Irish ambassador to Egypt and her staff visited Halawa 37 times in prison and attended all his court hearings in person.

Do you really think that Kenny was under the impression that Halawa was up on a murder charge until yesterday?

The only way Young Halawa is going to get home is there will have to be money paid and give up his Egyptian passport

i'd imagine he has come in of his own accord. you know, like one can in a free democratic country like ireland. a freedom the egyptians and others don't enjoy.

Both Kenny and the Egyptian ambassador have stated that he is not up on a murder charge. Kenny also stated that no consular case is receiving as much attention. You refuse to believe this despite having no evidence to the contrary.

You're some beaut.
    yeah. the egyptians said it so its true. right. do you believe everything you are told by a government? kenny just passed on what was told to him. you will have to write to him and find out if he believes it

K.Flyer wrote: »
    So we can take from that, and some of your previous posts, that "If" the main Irish political party that advocates a United Ireland ever got into power and became the government you wouldn't trust them either.
    Because then they would be the government, an entity you have serious distrust of.
    Kinda sounds like a bit of a contradiction again.
    i would trust them 100 times more then a military junta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yeah. The Egyptians said it so its true. Right. do you believe everything you are told by a Government? Kenny just passed on what was told to him. You will have to write to him and find out if he believes it

Fair enough..

You don't believe the Egyptian Government.
    You don't believe the Irish Government.
    You don't believe the Media.

Given the nature and extent of the Halawa sisters economy with the truth,over a prolonged period of time,can you outline who or what agency you DO believe in this sorry case ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

yeah. the egyptians said it so its true. right. do you believe everything you are told by a government? kenny just passed on what was told to him. you will have to write to him and find out if he believes it

The Irish ambassador, her consulate staff and EU delegates have attended all Halawas court hearings and met with him 37 times. The Minister for Foreign Affairs met his Egyptian counterpart to discuss the case. He also met with the Egyptian ambassador to Ireland to discuss the case as did the President.

Do you really think that Kenny and the government weren't abrest of the situation and aware of what he's been charged with?

I believe Kenny.

OMG I just said I believe Kenny.

I believe Kenny.

I

Believe

KENNY.

OMG

OMG

OMG

I DO NOT believe EotR

OMG

OMG

OMG

I feel so free. Free as a bird.

No conspiracy theories or anarchy theories ANYMORE.

I believe Kenny.

OMG I just said I believe Kenny.

I believe Kenny.

I

Believe

KENNY.

OMG

OMG

OMG

I DO NOT believe EotR

OMG

OMG

OMG

I feel so free. Free as a bird.

No conspiracy theories or anarchy theories ANYMORE.

OMG You Killed Kenny

• Advertisement

OMG You Killed Kenny

See next episode !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement