Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

the military were not protecting anyone from anyone

Who stopped the locals tearing the place apart in retribution ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

Who stopped the locals tearing the place apart in retribution ?

Ooh Ooh Ooh.

Let me. Me.

I know the answer to this question.

But I would prefer to hear some one else re-write facts just for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Did the government or people of this country ask him to go do what he did - get himself in to the situation he is in - resulting in his family demanding that our government (who they probably disagree in principle with) rescue him.

Responsibility is accepting the consequences of one's action.

Time to get responsible!!!!

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Did the government or people of this country ask him to go do what he did - get himself in to the situation he is in - resulting in his family demanding that our government (who they probably disagree in principle with) rescue him.

Responsibility is accepting the consequences of one's action.

Time to get responsible!!!!

No you have it wrong, If you are young and middle class you are never responsible. If you are young and a skanger then you are.

No you have it wrong, If you are young and middle class you are never responsible. If you are young and a skanger then you are.

For some people, all you have to be is MB and that in itself alone relinquishes that person of any legal responsibilities, free to commit crimes and be as STUPID as you like.

Truth is, being stupid has consequences. As does breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

.....that all governments would like to remove civil liberties if they could to ensure the people always comply and never question

You have GOT to be joking :p

You have GOT to be joking :p

Quite serious actually.

It emphasis the MB political philosophy where the 'streets will run with blood' if you do not agree with them.

Quite serious actually.

It emphasis the MB political philosophy where the 'streets will run with blood' if you do not agree with them.

I can't remember did that come true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

He is not a criminal. He is not guilty of anything bar being stupid. He is innocent.

Whether Ibrahim Halawa is a criminal or not,depends upon the outcome of his trial.
    He does have verified access to a full legal team and the consular services of the Irish State (Note:this is NOT the I.S.)

The courts process will decide upon guilt or otherwise,therefore you cannot hold him to be innocent in any way other than in your opinion.

Calling Ibraham Halawa "stupid" does tend to take away from the statements from his family,to the effect that he had been accepted by UCD to study Engineering.

Are you suggesting therefore,that UCD's admissions criteria has been adjusted to admit "Stupid" people to study in their Engineering Faculty,without having to provide evidence of having achieved an acceptable standard in State Examinations ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I don't know the guy so can't comment as to whether he's stupid or not. He was naïve and massively taken advantage of by his family though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

It did three cops and fifty civilians ...... not counting casualties and damage to state public and private property.

It did three cops and fifty civilians ...... not counting casualties and damage to state public and private property.

Was there not a few Religious buildings burnt out of it and that's why the locals were out for revenge. It was lucky for them lot in the mosque the military was around to stop things kicking off.

I'm so confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

he couldn't leave as the military were going to slaughter all left inside once all foreigners left

More nonsense propaganda vomited out by his family :rolleyes:

K.Flyer wrote: »
    More nonsense propaganda vomited out by his family :rolleyes:

Well I have asked if anyone has a list of ahem "Foreigners" that where in the mosque. The 2 sisters are Egyptian one was living there at the time In the family home.

When I think of how its portrayed I always get an image of a guy in full Patrick's day gear getting swept up in a Riot after looking down the wrong street for postcards. And ending up hold up against their will.

I'm so confused.

You are late to this party.

Obfuscation seems to be the agenda of some posters here who will readily refute any factual information.

They can't see the hand in front of their face so to speak.

You know, that MB hand.

Police stations blown up and set afire.

40 odd Coptic churches attacked.

Killings in the 'restive' Sinai.

Judges killed. Soldiers attacked.

Sniper fire from minarets.

The whole thing reads like the anarchists handbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Whether Ibrahim Halawa is a criminal or not,depends upon the outcome of his trial.
    He does have verified access to a full legal team and the consular services of the Irish State (Note:this is NOT the I.S.)
    The courts process will decide upon guilt or otherwise,therefore you cannot hold him to be innocent in any way other than in your opinion.

any court which operates under a military junta isn't trust worthy. he will more then likely be found guilty because its what the military want. even though he isn't
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Calling Ibraham Halawa "stupid" does tend to take away from the statements from his family,to the effect that he had been accepted by UCD to study Engineering.
    Are you suggesting therefore,that UCD's admissions criteria has been adjusted to admit "Stupid" people to study in their Engineering Faculty,without having to provide evidence of having achieved an acceptable standard in State Examinations ?

whats that got to do with anything. he met the criteria and got in.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

any court which operates under a military junta isn't trust worthy. he will more then likely be found guilty because its what the military want. even though he isn't

Military junta

REPEAT

Military junta.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

He STILL BROKE THE LAW.

Military junta

REPEAT

Military junta.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

He STILL BROKE THE LAW.

Did you not know the MJ created brand new laws when it came in.

• Advertisement

Did you not know the MJ created brand new laws when it came in.

Did you not know the MJ created brand new laws when it came in

Do you mean MB ?

"Islam is the Solution",

"Allah is our objective;

the Qur'an is the Constitution;

the Prophet is our leader;

jihad is our way;

death for the sake of Allah is our wish."

So, if you kill somebody you are innocent because it is jihad and that's what allah wants???

So therefore if the military junta tells you if you break a law, you should kill them?????

Is that what you are referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Everytime I hear this pop up in the news I wonder whats the political reasoning behind constantly delaying the trial, what nationalities do the other defendants belong too? Surely there's a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

The other thing that always strikes me is the bleeding hearts getting air time to insist that our government do something to free this fella immediately. Iv yet to hear and reason as to why this should happen. From my (limited) reading of the topic, he along with his family went to Egypt at a time of massive upheaval and violence to cause trouble?? And now people are shouting that the Irish government should have him released on a get out of jail free card or something? What is the reasoning behind that?

JC01 wrote: »
    Everytime I hear this pop up in the news I wonder whats the political reasoning behind constantly delaying the trial, what nationalities do the other defendants belong too? Surely there's a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

The other thing that always strikes me is the bleeding hearts getting air time to insist that our government do something to free this fella immediately. Iv yet to hear and reason as to why this should happen. From my (limited) reading of the topic, he along with his family went to Egypt at a time of massive upheaval and violence to cause trouble?? And now people are shouting that the Irish government should have him released on a get out of jail free card or something? What is the reasoning behind that?

Having an Irish passport.

Military junta.

Jihad.

Stupidity, naivety, youth

If you do it in the name of allah, then you will be excused of your crimes.

Didn't commit crime because he is Irish, or not Irish. It doesn't matter.
    Military junta.

Just some of the ways that I may consider having my speeding ticket cancelled.

I was speeding in the name of allah.

If you do not cancel my ticket, you are a military junta and illegitimate.

So clever enough for UCD but not stupid enough for the military junta?

Having an Irish passport.

Iv had a bad feeling that's all that there was too it alright...

Iv had a bad feeling that's all that there was too it alright...

Well if you boil all the arguments down it comes to that issue only. Apparently.

Well if you boil all the arguments down it comes to that issue only. Apparently.

Righto, after flicking through two pages of this thread I definatly don't want to try revisit some of those arguments so at a glance has he actually got much support here? Iv heard an alarming amount of sound bites about how he is "one of ours" and should be freed, some priest was trying to play swapsies with him or some such nonsense but surely most people see this for what it is?

the mythical bleeding hearts who don't exist apart from being a term the ranting and rabel rousing certain types use in their little rants about how everyone is out to silence them and the rest don't get any air time. those who know this case on the other hand do get air time.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

the mythical bleeding hearts who don't exist apart from being a term the ranting and rabel rousing certain types use in their little rants about how everyone is out to silence them and the rest don't get any air time. those who know this case on the other hand do get air time.

Military junta

Righto, after flicking through two pages of this thread I definatly don't want to try revisit some of those arguments so at a glance has he actually got much support here? Iv heard an alarming amount of sound bites about how he is "one of ours" and should be freed, some priest was trying to play swapsies with him or some such nonsense but surely most people see this for what it is?

No a lot of people are high fiving each other over tolerance. If this was some 17 year old from “insert bad area” we would never hear about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

A few years ago (not too long ago) i traveled to to Jordan. Had a great time and lived some of my dreams.

At the same time i had the opportunity to travel to Syria.

I WISH I DID.

Because if i had, i would have been one of the last people on earth to see the remnants of a great civilization (in terms of the Syrian people).
    If i had, i would have also seen the remnants of a great civilization (in terms of the relics/statues/buildings etc.) .

I did not do that and now i regret it.
    That is now gone. Those people are being eradicated.

It is now gone in the name of Islam.

I am not irish, european, middle eastern, american, christian, muslim etc.
    I have no interest in the wars that are waged.

I recognise though that a HUGE swathe of human history is being wiped out.

I used to hear of the Syrian people and their hospitality. I used to hear of this place and that.

...Why did i not visit them when i had a chance??

They are now wiped out. Their parents have been annihilated, the kids have been smothered.

I have traveled the world. I have seen untold wealth, I have experienced untold poverty. I have myself come from nothing ... yet this is what makes me cry... Not seeing Syria.

Why? ... Because if one fails, one can recover, regroup and re-attempt.

One cannot do this though if it is all wiped out.

All in the name of religion.

If you are against this annihilation then why not speak out about it?
    By which i mean not just responding to actions online but actually rejecting and vocally rejecting the type of spurious nonsense that is being spewed out by these so-called proponents of the faith?

When was the last time that anyone did that?
    And why don't they?

I would have gone to Syria/Egypt etc.

BUT i had a bit of "COP ON"... even then.

And i chose NOT to ... even then.

for example.... In Jordan, when the guys in the suits and dark glasses 'ask" you to put down the camera 5mins before the royal cavalcade passes by..do you object/retaliate etc?? ...NO, you follow their instructions!!

In Egypt/Iran/ Saudi/Iraq/Kuwait etc..... when someone "asks" you to do ****. Then you do it.

You don't simply object and do your own ****!

The Irish education system is open, free and fair from what i have seen.

The point being that if you willfully went there ...during a volatile situation... then you deserve to be there and everything that's dispensed to you.

Additionally: WHY WERE YOU NOT THERE AS PART OF THE IRISH PEACE KEEPING FORCES IN THAT REGION INSTEAD???????

The Irish Defence Forces does not have a combatative force in that region.

...So why isn't every Mosque in the country giving it's people an option to join the IDF instead?

see what for what it is . its a simple story. boy went on holiday to egypt, made a up da revolution type speach, ended up in a mosq where the military planned to slaughter everyone once the foreigners left, they changed the plan, he got arrested and is imprisoned, is facing dubious charges including murder along with 400 other people.

No a lot of people are high fiving each other over tolerance. If this was some 17 year old from “insert bad area” we would never hear about it.

There are two or three posters who want him released no matter what the actual facts are.

The rest of the posters here would rather be rid of the little MB brat.

There are two or three posters who want him released no matter what the actual facts are.

The rest of the posters here would rather be rid of the little MB brat.

Was meaning in the Real world.

• Advertisement

see what for what it is . its a simple story. boy went on holiday to egypt, made a up da revolution type speach, ended up in a mosq where the military planned to slaughter everyone once the foreigners left, they changed the plan, he got arrested and is imprisoned, is facing dubious charges including murder along with 400 other people.

Citation ?

MB has always been an historical problem for Egypt.

The military junta will not make exceptions for an 'irish' agitator.

And frankly, I would like to thank the military junta for their intolerance towards people who are the definition of intolerable.

MB has always been an historical problem for Egypt.

The military junta will not make exceptions for an 'irish' agitator.

And frankly, I would like to thank the military junta for their intolerance towards people who are the definition of intolerable.
    not at all. the military are the mb mark 2.

Have you read any of the recent reports that emphatically state that there is no murder charge.

He is being charged with occupying the mosque, not leaving the mosques when ordered to do so, travelling from a different part of Cairo to partake in demonstrations.

So, WHAT dubious murder charge???

What Religious laws do the military want to introduce ? Most in Egypt want to be pretty secular.

• Advertisement

Taqqiyah and Jahiliyyah to you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And anyone who believes that load of tosh is living in cloud-cuckoo land:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

he's not a dangerous islamist. just a stupid gullible young man

Yet you think Padraig Nally is a danger.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What did I tell you? and the best part he is staying at the Cairo Hilton, there are bars in every room, room service, interesting people to mix with and communal showers..... Some people have all the luck!!!
    The most common offer of the showers, "I'll wash your back if you pick up my soap".
    Feck off that is my job!!! I am getting that on jobsbridge
    I already got that internship!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I'd like to make a generally observation on this thread.

I'll advise everyone posting to be moderate and careful regardless of aggravation.

Certain posters do make repetitive, nonsensical arguments in the hope of driving otherwise reasonable posters to heated posts. The former mentioned posters are then extremely trigger happy with the report button in getting other posters banned. Lacking a coherent argument, the only way these posters can "win" is through manipulating other posters and the rules.

The obvious political bias in the moderation of this particular forum means that this trolling will be allowed to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

DeadHand wrote: »
    I'd like to make a generally observation on this thread.

I'll advise everyone posting to be moderate and careful regardless of aggravation.

Certain posters do make repetitive, nonsensical arguments in the hope of driving otherwise reasonable posters to heated posts. The former mentioned posters are then extremely trigger happy with the report button in getting other posters banned. Lacking a coherent argument, the only way these posters can "win" is through manipulating other posters and the rules.

The obvious political bias in the moderation of this particular forum means that this trolling will be allowed to continue.
    I am THIS close to getting IP banned too! :eek:

They went over and got involved in the protests over there, why didn't they just stay out of it and nothing would have happened.
    Youth and Naivety.

Youth and Naivety.

I remember well the days of my youthful naivety.

Often I found myself on a stage in front of thousands promoting a violently homophobic, sectarian, misogynistic cause. Many of my comrades spoke openly about burning all Christians and killing all homosexuals by throwing them from a height.

Those were the heady days.

DeadHand wrote: »
    I remember well the days of my youthful naivety.

Often I found myself on a stage in front of thousands promoting a violently homophobic, sectarian, misogynistic cause. Many of my comrades spoke openly about burning all Christians and killing all homosexuals by throwing them from a height.

Those were the heady days.
    Oh....... you mean the internet?

Yes regretful. People say things without meaning them for other reasons and yet forget what they say still has literal meaning.

Forgiveness is the best medicine. Then move on.

Oh....... you mean the internet?

Yes regretful. People say things without meaning them for other reasons and yet forget what they say still has literal meaning.

Forgiveness is the best medicine. Then move on.

You'll find that attitude is easy on the internet.

Not so much in Egypt: a country already torn to pieces by the joys of Islamism.

She will defend herself as she sees fit against Islamist barbarism. Sadly, forgiveness isn't an effective defence against zealots.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement