Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-social behaviour, daughter of owner

Options
  • 06-04-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

A house near mine is occupied by at least 2 and probably 3 people, at least one of whom is the daughter of the owner (who is not resident).

These people have basically been terrorising the neighbourhood (including a frail and elderly woman who lives immediately next to them in the same terrace) with extremely loud parties with 100s of people that go until 7am. They have these on average once every two months, never with any warning and, on those nights, basically nobody in the immediate vicinity gets any sleep.

When I moved in here, the house in question was actually vacant, having been burned out by the very same residents, apparently nearly taking the whole terrace with it. But daddy fixed it up for his pride and joy and we're all just waiting for another, similarly grave incident.

My neighbours and I would like to make a third-party application to the PRTB but the tenancy doesn't appear to be registered with the PRTB, probably (but not certainly) because the "tenants" are in fact not tenants but licensees of the landlord or his daughter.

Is there any way in which these residents might be vulnerable to some sort of challenge/complaint (for example: if one of the unrelated residents is paying undeclared rent to the daughter) or do they just occupy a loophole that gives them a license to do whatever it is they feel like doing, neighbours be damned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Call the guards when they have parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Call the guards when they have parties.

We've done that. The guards are powerless because it's a private residence and not out in the street. All they can do is ask them to turn it down but they have no way of insisting on it. Noise complaints are a civil matter and I just don't think we'd get very far with that, given that it's a private residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I'd say you'd need to distinguish between anti-social behaviour and noise. Anti-social behaviour can be dealt with by guards I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

There's the noise pollution act:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Might need to go through your local council rather than the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why don't you organise all the other residents? Then make an approach to the daughter. If she dose'nt co-operate, then a group of ye should approach the local super and, if necessary, emphasise that ye will take the matter further if they don't do as ye want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

did the family live there at some stage, is it council owned or private,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We've done that. The guards are powerless because it's a private residence and not out in the street. All they can do is ask them to turn it down but they have no way of insisting on it. Noise complaints are a civil matter and I just don't think we'd get very far with that, given that it's a private residence.

noise is noise.... have a word with epa. environmental protection agency. good website, scuse my not quoting url, arm in plaster.painful tonight

they have the clout to make the council environmental health act in noise nuisnce etc; have used them in the past successfully
    while it is a private residence the noise is very public and totally illegal. it is pollution

please let us know how it goes. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

"I saw someone go in a while ago with what I am pretty sure was a gun"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm sure drugs squad would love to know about large house parties........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Warning- no more veiled suggestions at hints of guns, drugs, explosives or anything else illegal. Next suggestion along these lines earns an infraction.

Regards,

The_Conductor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

these parties are happening every 2 months, so 6 parties a year, and everyone staying in the house ? would a group of you not get together, approach this girl and come to a compromise, the parties ending at 2am instead of 7am and a few days warning would seem fair to me.

these parties are happening every 2 months, so 6 parties a year, and everyone staying in the house ? would a group of you not get together, approach this girl and come to a compromise, the parties ending at 2am instead of 7am and a few days warning would seem fair to me.

To be honest, if the same people hadn't already burnt out the house at one of these parties, I think the neighbours would be more willing to cut them some slack. As it is, 2am is not acceptable (and would be a violation of the noise regulations), not least because people here have jobs (even on Sundays) and because 2am is far too late for an elderly woman living next door to be kept up until. As it is, their parties don't really even get rolling until after the pubs (and then the clubs) close.

Also, everyone does not stay in the house. There's a constant parade in and out much like what you'd find in a pub. The trick would be getting the guards to come at a time when someone was being disorderly outside and lingering long enough to get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    noise is noise.... have a word with epa. environmental protection agency. good website, scuse my not quoting url, arm in plaster.painful tonight

they have the clout to make the council environmental health act in noise nuisnce etc; have used them in the past successfully
    while it is a private residence the noise is very public and totally illegal. it is pollution

please let us know how it goes. good luck

you are making very heavy weather of this; it is so easy, please see my earlier post above. the law is very clear and the council will actwhen epa tell them to.

the law is totally on your side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

A house near mine is occupied by at least 2 and probably 3 people, at least one of whom is the daughter of the owner (who is not resident).

These people have basically been terrorising the neighbourhood (including a frail and elderly woman who lives immediately next to them in the same terrace) with extremely loud parties with 100s of people that go until 7am. They have these on average once every two months, never with any warning and, on those nights, basically nobody in the immediate vicinity gets any sleep.

When I moved in here, the house in question was actually vacant, having been burned out by the very same residents, apparently nearly taking the whole terrace with it. But daddy fixed it up for his pride and joy and we're all just waiting for another, similarly grave incident.

neighbours and I would like to make a third-party application to the PRTB but the tenancy doesn't appear to be registered with the PRTB, probably (but not certainly) because the "tenants" are in fact not tenants but licensees of the landlord or his daughter.

Is there any way in which these residents might be vulnerable to some sort of challenge/complaint (for example: if one of the unrelated residents is paying undeclared rent to the daughter) or do they just occupy a loophole that gives them a license to do whatever it is they feel like doing, neighbours be damned?

Ah leave the kids alone. They're only having a bit of fun

Santa Cruz wrote: »

One of their recent "bits of fun" nearly burned down the terrace.

Sorry, but once your "fun" infringes on the rights of others to get on with their lives, you'll have to find another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sometimes a story like this one puts a smile on your face...

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/leaving-cert-party-host-told-gardai-get-a-warrant-they-did-and-now-hes-in-court-on-drugs-charge-30123966.html

TLDR:

Snotty brat throws a wild post leaving cert party while his parents were alway, the Guards tell him to keep it down, he tells them to 'get a warrant', so they did! :) All ends up in court after a posession bust.

As for the OP, sadly I suspect the only route to go is the civil one, a kick in the wallet is all these kind of people understand. I'd start with a complaint to the dad and suggest that you'll be calling the PTRB. (hopefully daddy didn't bother to register the property, that might soften his cough)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Constructive posts would be appreciated please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Have you approached the landlord/father to try to get him to sort it?

Note down every incidence of antisocial behaviour, notify the Gardai and take your complaint to the PRTB.

Try to speak to the Landlord and give him a copy of this report from last year. Even the proudest Daddy doesn't like it when his little darlings behaviour gets his name in the paper and hits him in the pocket.

Advertisement