Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing large shrub roots.

• 06-04-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Laying down a concrete base and had to cut down some large mature shrubs at the end of the garden. The roots are very large and deep and I was wondering could someone offer me advice on the best way to remove them.

I cannot use a jeep to pull them out if that is a suggestion! Here are some pics of the roots:

IMG_2145jpg_zps327e6498.jpg

IMG_2148jpg_zpsd2191492.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I had to do the same with a stump that looks of similar size I used a shovel and a trowel to get underneath it, and a secetars and branch trimmer to cut the roots from underneath. It also took a fair bit of sweat and cursing. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

kylith wrote: »
    When I had to do the same with a stump that looks of similar size I used a shovel and a trowel to get underneath it, and a secetars and branch trimmer to cut the roots from underneath. It also took a fair bit of sweat and cursing. Good luck!
    A tip with hindsight is to leave the trunk long to make it easy to wriggle the roots and get some leverage on the stump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

You need to dig a trench around the roots preferably around 18 inches or more out from the stump, this will expose the roots and you will be easier to see what your dealing with. Use your trowel to take out as much of the soil and stones from around the stump. Sharpen your spade and using your body weight through your feet cut through the roots where possible. You'll need to do this around the full stump, a small saw, loppers, axe or mattock are also very handy to have.
    Its important to know that it's normally more difficult than first imagined, so take your time, take breaks from it do one part today another tomorrow or what ever suits. It can be a right pain in the arse but better to take it easy doing it than risk injury getting frustrated with it. As said it would have been better if you had left some trunk to lever it but it's not essential. Never use a jeep or car to pull out a stump, you don't know how big the roots are underground so you could cause more damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

remove soil around the roots streching out (to below the level of the concrete) and cut with an axe at that point. then remove soil under trunk and cut any downward roots with an axe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

Wailin wrote: »
    Laying down a concrete base and had to cut down some large mature shrubs at the end of the garden. The roots are very large and deep and I was wondering could someone offer me advice on the best way to remove them.

I cannot use a jeep to pull them out if that is a suggestion! Here are some pics of the roots:

IMG_2145jpg_zps327e6498.jpg

IMG_2148jpg_zpsd2191492.jpg

Thanks.

dig the soil out from around and under the stump and its roots and shoots, then use a mattock , axe or prunning saw and chop or cut the roots off well below the base level of the proposed concrete and use a long concrete breaker bar or pickaxe to lever up and out the large stump . job done for each stump in around 15 minutes per stump . make sure to check that theres no power cables , gas or main water running under ground in that area where you are digging up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks all for the advice! I'll just tip away at them some more, almost there with one but the other is a bit more problematic. Bigger roots and very deep.

Advertisement