Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup Kitchen Drogheda

Options
  • 06-04-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

So, I've just had Cllr Godfrey at my door, saying he's had a large number of complaints about the location of the new soup kitchen, and asking for my views. He suggested it should have been located near to the homeless aid.

I said I was surprised to hear of people complaining, and I said that putting it next to the homeless aid may create a stigma, which might discourage potential service users.

Just wondering if anyone else felt the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So, I've just had Cllr Godfrey at my door, saying he's had a large number of complaints about the location of the new soup kitchen, and asking for my views. He suggested it should have been located near to the homeless aid.

I said I was surprised to hear of people complaining, and I said that putting it next to the homeless aid may create a stigma, which might discourage potential service users.

Just wondering if anyone else felt the same?

The only thing I thought when I saw it on West St was that it might create more of a stigma or embarrassment for those availing of the service. Going in and out and perhaps bumping into friends and neighbours. Nobody wants to be seen getting a handout. West St is a busy street and everybody knows somebody or is bumping into somebody else. I think somewhere more discreet might have worked better from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mahonbreda

Hi my name is breda im a volunteer with the Soup Kitchen it seems that Frank Godfrey is using this as an stand to try and get votes he should be ashamed of himself its only a few months ago he was offering his services to help us in any way that he could and ive spoken to a lot of the residents around Sundays gate and they seem quiet happy about the soup kitchen also we will be opening a cafe beside the hairdressers to the public and its hope that people will support us and enjoy a chat and nice place to have a bite to eat this soup kitchen will be run extremely well and is here to look after the people who are in need in the town and surrounding areas.

Im so proud of the people of Drogheda im on the streets doing charity work and the kindness of people and in the buisness community offering coffee and shelter from the rain .Ive been given bars of chocolate and sweets cups of coffee and tea and most of all the company of people and the interesting stories about the town and thier lives its tuly amazing a big thanks to you all as without you all this charity would not survive you all are the backbone also the surrounding area of meath

Thank God for the Drogheda Indepdent it gives people a chance to really see whats going on around the town .
    I hope the article regarding THE SOUP KITCHEN will help people to understand that this Charity will do a good job and that the residents around The Sunday Gate area will have a nice place to come in and have a place to have a chat and make it their own place to meet and have a cuppa and support what is trying to be done here and give it a chance

Advertisement