Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norwich sack Chris Hughton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Source?

Nvm, just seen it on SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 2m
    Chris Hughton has been sacked as manager of Norwich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Just announced on Sky Sports News Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Per the usual football journalists on Twitter.

Surprised he's lasted this long in all honesty, but they must think they can get a boost similar to what Sunderland got from Di Canio for their last few games in 2013. They play Fulham at Craven Cottage next weekend and after that have Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea (unsure of what order) so some very tough games.

Overall he's done a poor enough job IMO. Spent over £25m this season (including £8.5m on a striker with 1 goal this season) and they've gone backwards.

It will be interesting to see who they have lined up as one would presume they wouldn't have made this decision unless they had someone ready to come in. It just further highlights the stakes involved when in a relegation battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Bizarre decision, 5 points above the drop what are they at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

SantryRed wrote: »

You're presupposing rational individuals run PL football clubs. Writing's been on the wall for a while now - seems an absolute gent but Norwich have been playing a negative style for some time now and he lost the fans a while ago. As you said though, mental to do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really, really hope they go down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That's crazy, Far too late in the season for a change of Manager.

That must increase the chances of Norwich going down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Fulham, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal all to play Norwich. At best what are the Norwich board expecting from them games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It increases the chances they will go down but the reality is that the three in the drop zone are overwhelmingly likely to still be there when it's said and done.

Hughton was a dead man walking for some time.

major bill wrote: »
    Bizarre decision, 5 points above the drop what are they at?

the timing sort of surprises me as i dunno what another man can do this time of year but the actual decision itself well i suppose if truth be known i expected him to be gone at the end of the season anyway. RVWW has been a complete flop and both Elmander and Hooper haven't given many teams sleepless nights either.

26 Premier league goals for in total is a piss poor return. I like Hughton as he is a good honest sincere guy and has a great future in management ahead of him with the right players but its just unfortunate that the players he invested so much faith in let him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Presumably they'll just install the assistant for the remaining turkey shoots.

Whatever about Hughtons qualities as a good bloke I'd haver to wonder about a manager who cannot get anything much beyond blanks from 2 decent strikers (and what the hell happened to Becchio?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

They must have someone lined up already,

Their next game away to Fulham is their best chance of any points this season.

Very strange timing anyways.

the timing sort of surprises me as i dunno what another man can do this time of year but the actual decision itself well i suppose if truth be known i expected him to be gone at the end of the season anyway. RVWW has been a complete flop and both Elmander and Hooper haven't given many teams sleepless nights either.

26 Premier league goals for in total is a piss poor return. I like Hughton as he is a good honest sincere guy and has a great future in management ahead of him with the right players but its just unfortunate that the players he invested so much faith in let him down.

No he doesn't. The best scenario for him is bouncing between Championship and Premiership. He's two missed promotion chases away from his career being over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Outrageous decision with 5 games to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Stupid decision, considering the chosen replacement. Remember Wolves replacing McCarthy with Terry Connor?

They may hope they beat Fulham, because they're unlikely to win anymore points for the remainder of the season after that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Surprised they didnt do it earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Does not make much sense to sack him so close to the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't think this is bizarre as everyone is making out. Norwich have looked lost for a while at the moment. If Fulham beat them next weekend they will almost certainly go down IMO. Hoping for a honeymoon period under the new manager is probably about as much as they could hope for because IMO they looked doomed before this decision was made. If they can sneak a point against Fulham they may just get over the line, but Hughton has done a terrible job having spent plenty of money the summer just gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

NORWICH City can confirm Chris Hughton, Colin Calderwood and Paul Trollope have parted company with the Club with immediate effect - and former Canary winger and FA Youth Cup-winning coach Neil Adams has been appointed as First Team Manager.
    Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140406-adams-hughton-norwich-city-manager-1471649.aspx#EJvQbKp0sOE3LORz.99

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140406-adams-hughton-norwich-city-manager-1471649.aspx

No pressure on Neil Adams, then.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No he doesn't. The best scenario for him is bouncing between Championship and Premiership. He's two missed promotion chases away from his career being over.

He done well with Newcastle and Birmingham and actually didnt do too bad with Norwich last season so id say he is a decent enough manager. He spent money and unfortunately it didnt work out for him. He probably should have played Houlihan more. Pilkington who was good last year seemed to struggle for form early this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Northampton tried to woo Calderwood from Norwich when they sacked Boothroyd. Bet he wishes he had joined them now, as they surge majestically toward the Skrill Premier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

As a Norwich fan I'm absolutely delighted he was sacked. Should have been done after the West Ham defeat. Neil Adams is a player loved by Norwich so hopefully he'll inspire the players against our bogey team Fulham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It'll give BBC Look East some actual news to report on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hardly that shocking a decision. Houghton has been poor for a long time now. At the end of the day the players must be fairly tired/unhappy going into work. A new manager might just spur them on. It might not on the other hand but Id have given little hope in Houghton getting much from the remaining games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

As a Liverpool fan I along with Luis Suarez would be devastated if Norwich got relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He done well with Newcastle and Birmingham and actually didnt do too bad with Norwich last season so id say he is a decent enough manager. He spent money and unfortunately it didnt work out for him. He probably should have played Houlihan more. Pilkington who was good last year seemed to struggle for form early this year.

You'd want to be nuts to hire him to manage your Premiership team tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Huge gamble that might pay off. Fulham next and if they win they should be ok, if they lose they are probably gona go donw no matter. Awful set of fixtures.

Houghton is a gentleman indeed but been dead man walking for quite some time now. He can't buy a result away from home and has had an awful time of the last 12 games. Its a results based business and its not too surprising. Sad to see him not last the season but he will bounce back in the Championship. His signings weren't all that and in the end they suffered cos Van Wolfswinkle flopped and they badly needed goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Don't think it's bad, basically hoping that they can get one game of a honeymoon period off the new manager and manage to beat Fulham.

Beat them and they probably stay up, lose and probably go down. Tbf, he can't do any worse than Hughton is doing, so might as well take a gamble, he can do better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm disappointed for him but this was coming for some time. Not enough goals in his side.

On another note I'm pretty sure this now means there are no black managers in the top five divisions in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The only way we'll see Hughton manage in the PL again is if he brings a team up from the championship. He'll not get a premier league job directly again imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

At least he can now focus full-time on running Los Pollos Hermanos.

You'd want to be nuts to hire him to manage your Premiership team tbh.

There has arguably been worse in the Premier league. Some are incumbents. I think it would be unfair if he didnt get a crack at another job when you see some of the idiots who have no bother getting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Have Sky Sports News wheeled out The Society of Black Lawyers, Paul Ince and John Barnes yet?

At least he can now focus full-time on running Los Pollos Hermanos.

He needs to hire a good cook though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't suppose they want Lambert back?

Neil3030 wrote: »

God knows why if they would. He is hardly lighting the league up with Aston Villa to be honest

Edit: although you already know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He needs to hire a good cook though.

Maybe Delia....?

• Advertisement

God knows why if they would. He is hardly lighting the league up with Aston Villa to be honest

Edit: although you already know this
    I bet Norwich would kill to be in Villa's position right now.

Maybe Delia....?

Bit of Crystal Blue Persuasion from Delia....Very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Neil3030 wrote: »

Am I the only one that thinks Lambert is doing a good job at Villa considering the **** left behind before him? He seems to be working on a long term plan there.

CSF wrote: »
    I bet Norwich would kill to be in Villa's position right now.

2 points ahead?
    Ok yeah with a game in hand but tbh Im not sure Lambert is a manager that can bring a team to the next level and compete for European spots. Not saying that Hughton was but there is not a whole lot of difference between him and Lambert tbh as the table proves

2 points ahead?
    Ok yeah with a game in hand but tbh Im not sure Lambert is a manager that can bring a team to the next level and compete for European spots. Not saying that Hughton was but there is not a whole lot of difference between him and Lambert tbh as the table proves
    Villa are alot safer than Norwich, surely you wouldn't debate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ninja edit. :pac:

There has arguably been worse in the Premier league. Some are incumbents. I think it would be unfair if he didnt get a crack at another job when you see some of the idiots who have no bother getting them.

Wolves-Bolton-Owen-Coyle-Premier-League+cropped
    phil_brown_1596943c.jpg
    McDermottAmended.png

Never underestimate the pace of change in football management. The top level stayers generally don't have failures and sackings this early in their career.

Id expect Villa to be relatively safe but its not really good enough from Villa either. Would be different if they challenged for the UCL spots or something but i just dont buy into the argument that there is that much of a gulf between the two.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Never underestimate the pace of change in football management. The top level stayers generally don't have failures and sackings this early in their career.

Few of them anymore though.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Lambert is doing a good job at Villa considering the **** left behind before him? He seems to be working on a long term plan there.

He took them over after they finished 16th on 38 points.

Last season: 15th 41 points
    This season: on track for 41 points

It's a stretch to say he's doing alright tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement