Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norwich sack Chris Hughton

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

SantryRed wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Lambert is doing a good job at Villa considering the **** left behind before him? He seems to be working on a long term plan there.

By no means the only one, and I would have been in the same camp up until about 6 months ago.

But Villa have just been so meh for so long it's hard not to want a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He took them over after they finished 16th on 38 points.

Last season: 15th 41 points
    This season: on track for 41 points

It's a stretch to say he's doing alright tbh.

The small caveat here is the money spent each season; as in, McLeish would have spent much more to total 38 points than Lambert did, but otherwise this pretty much tells the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Id expect Villa to be relatively safe but its not really good enough from Villa either. Would be different if they challenged for the UCL spots or something but i just dont buy into the argument that there is that much of a gulf between the two.
    If you don't spend money relative safety is fine. Hughton spent money. That brings with it the expectation of success. When Hughton brings in Van Wolfswinkel for 10 million, Hooper for 6.5, Fer for 5.5 and lots of players who could command decent wages (Olsson, Redmond, Yobo, Elmander, Garrido) the expectations immediately increase, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A win over Fulham might be enough for Norwich.

What is below them is stinking the place out, couldn't see them getting to 35 points ?

Sunderland have 3 games in hand, but who would bet a red cent on them winning any of them ? Absolute scutter they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

SantryRed wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Lambert is doing a good job at Villa considering the **** left behind before him? He seems to be working on a long term plan there.

Yup, it's just you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Confirmation that Norwich are now relegated along with Cardiff. Who will the third team be, Sunderland or Fulham?

CSF wrote: »
    If you don't spend money relative safety is fine. Hughton spent money. That brings with it the expectation of success. When Hughton brings in Van Wolfswinkel for 10 million, Hooper for 6.5, Fer for 5.5 and lots of players who could command decent wages (Olsson, Redmond, Yobo, Elmander, Garrido) the expectations immediately increase, and rightly so.

Fair point and for what ever reason they just didn't work out for him. I thought Hughton was as good as Norwich could attract at the time and he done as good a job as he could. The signings from last summer admittedly let him down but who is to say his successor or even Lambert would have done any better? Perhaps Lambert might have attracted Benteke had he stayed last year but its hard to tell whether he would have been a success for them at all and he has been subdued for Villa this year.

ebbsy wrote: »
    A win over Fulham might be enough for Norwich.

What is below them is stinking the place out, couldn't see them getting to 35 points ?

Sunderland have 3 games in hand, but who would bet a red cent on them winning any of them ? Absolute scutter they are.

Not a red cent but Id bet a red card or two alright :D

They have gone to pot since the league cup final alright

Fair point and for what ever reason they just didn't work out for him. I thought Hughton was as good as Norwich could attract at the time and he done as good a job as he could. The signings from last summer admittedly let him down but who is to say his successor or even Lambert would have done any better? Perhaps Lambert might have attracted Benteke had he stayed last year but its hard to tell whether he would have been a success for them at all and he has been subdued for Villa this year.
    We can't say what might have happened if, we can only really go on what has happened. Lambert has done an okish job for Vllla on very limited resources, Hughton has done a poor one with lots of funds.

• Advertisement

We can't say what might have happened if, we can only really go on what has happened. Lambert has done an okish job for Vllla on very limited resources, Hughton has done a poor one with lots of funds.

Ah i dunno now. Lambert inherited Bent and Stephen Ireland who were arguably Villas two best players under McCleish and he never played them. He spent a few bob himself on the likes of Ron Vlaar and Benteke. In fact according to this article he has spent over 40m since becoming manager of Villa

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/crippy.cooke/597567/an-in-depth-analysis-of-paul-lambert-s-tenure-at-aston-villa

Ah i dunno now. Lambert inherited Bent and Stephen Ireland who were arguably Villas two best players under McCleish and he never played them. He spent a few bob himself on the likes of Ron Vlaar and Benteke. In fact according to this article he has spent over 40m since becoming manager of Villa

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/crippy.cooke/597567/an-in-depth-analysis-of-paul-lambert-s-tenure-at-aston-villa
    Stephen Ireland was never good under McLeish. Bent not really either. Only under Houllier. Villa's wage bill has been decimated so all of that 40 million has been spent signing tiny wage replacements for all the big earners that had to be shipped out.

Stephen Ireland was never good under McLeish. Bent not really either. Only under Houllier. Villa's wage bill has been decimated so all of that 40 million has been spent signing tiny wage replacements for all the big earners that had to be shipped out.

That not withstanding should Villa be higher up the league table by right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Michael Turner has been fit for 2 weeks and has been left out both weeks. Norwich lose both games.

Coincidence I think not.

I'm certainly not biased in any way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Seriously though it's bad timing. If they beat Fulham at the weekend then they stay up bar some sort of miracle.

If they then wanted to sack him next week win or lose to plan for the future then fair enough but appointing the under 18's coach shouldn't be the answer!

That not withstanding should Villa be higher up the league table by right?

No I don't think so. Finances dictate expectations. Villa operate on a shoestring so lofty expectations are unrealistic. If West Ham need a new striker they can go spend 17 million on one player who wouldn't be earning much shy of 100k. Villa probably don't even get that in total to replace 3 or 4 big earners shifted from the wagebill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As much I did like them before, Hughton made them tremendously boring, intending to 0-0 their way to safety.

The run of 9 games where they scored two goals was a particular lowpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Thought it was harsh initially, but given their form and upcoming fixtures (Liverpool (h) Man Utd (a) Chelsea (a) and Arsenal (h)), would anyone have confidence in him getting anything there? Perhaps hoping for a DiCanio style resurgence isn't a bad move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Can only assume they've decided that the Fulham game will either keep them up or send them down, so they're hoping for the fabled (but proven not to actually be real) "bump in performance" a new manager brings to get them all 3 points and safety in that game

Advertisement