Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a childrens soft play centre

Options
  • 06-04-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Can anyone offer advice on setting up a childrens soft play centre? I am currently trying to get information regarding regulations that govern this type of business. I am also curious about the insurance costs related to this business type. I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Hi guys,
    If you contact the HSE they should be able to give you information on the guidelines for this type of business. Regarding insurance, I am pretty sure you are going to need Public Liability insurance to cover any eventuality. Just remember with this type of service, like childcare, it all comes down to Safety First. The HSE may have to inspect your business premises also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi guys,
    If you contact the HSE they should be able to give you information on the guidelines for this type of business. Regarding insurance, I am pretty sure you are going to need Public Liability insurance to cover any eventuality. Just remember with this type of service, like childcare, it all comes down to Safety First. The HSE may have to inspect your business premises also.

Would the HSA not be more relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sjdonnelly

Hi Galway Chimney Cleaning
    I am wondering if you proceeded with your idea of setting up a Soft Play Area? I am based in Dublin and am interested in setting up.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

I briefly looked into this.
    There is quite a big initial investment needed. Then, you need to constantly re-invest to change things up as the kids or the parents get bored of looking at the same place over and over.
    A lot of places are fairly empty weekdays and during sunny days.

Very brief points to note.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

collegeme wrote: »
    Then, you need to constantly re-invest to change things up as the kids or the parents get bored of looking at the same place over and over.
    A lot of places are fairly empty weekdays and during sunny days.

Then new kids come as the older ones grow out of it. There's always things you can do to lure in people during the weekdays, such as 1 free coffee for parents.

• Advertisement

thesteve wrote: »
    Then new kids come as the older ones grow out of it. There's always things you can do to lure in people during the weekdays, such as 1 free coffee for parents.

True but i'd be concerned as to why a lot of soft play centres seem to only last a few years or so.
    I am a mother to 3 kids so technically your target market. A free tea or coffee is offered in the local play centre along with a reduced rate and it doe sstill be very empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I would have said the Dublin Play Centre market is pretty saturated at the moment - especially North Dublin. Then JumpZone came along and seem to be cleaning up - North and South.
    But, as others have mentioned, kids are fickle beasts and will change, en masse, to something else, if it's good enough. Whereabouts you thinking of setting up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Funky monkeys is opening in clarehall soon for the 0+ market. Lots of others are 3+

There are play cafes everywhere also, mainly in existing venues that have insurance (sports clubs) but wouldn't have day time business at the bar. These seem aimed at 0+ also

The zoo in leisureplex coolock seems hugely popular also. Very expensive at 6eu for 30 mins i think. They cater for both age groups with separate sections and a limited coffee bar for parents.

surpy wrote: »
    Funky monkeys is opening in clarehall soon for the 0+ market. Lots of others are 3+

There are play cafes everywhere also, mainly in existing venues that have insurance (sports clubs) but wouldn't have day time business at the bar. These seem aimed at 0+ also

The zoo in leisureplex coolock seems hugely popular also. Very expensive at 6eu for 30 mins i think. They cater for both age groups with separate sections and a limited coffee bar for parents.

Have you seen weekday mornings in the zoo playcentre? Practically empty.

The 0+ market and I suppose under 4 market had to compete with P&T groups. I attended an amazing one and for €3 there was a full hall of toys and lots of kids to play. There was a tea/coffee station with biscuits for free. Then after 1.5 hrs of play an entertainer came in from Gymboree to do activities with the kids. This wins hands down for me over a playcentre.

• Advertisement

The 0+ market and I suppose under 4 market had to compete with P&T groups.
    Very true, the advantage of a playcentre though is you can go generally any time, whereas P&T groups have set times.
    surpy wrote:
    There are play cafes everywhere also, mainly in existing venues that have insurance (sports clubs)
    Got an example of any of these?

Have you seen weekday mornings in the zoo playcentre? Practically empty.

You're right i Haven't seen it on weekdays, makes sense that it's empty with school etc.
    They are opening a new 0+ thing on weekdays I guess to improve that

I think I have some details, I'll post up if I find them

Got an example of any of these?

https://m.facebook.com/BabyccinosPlayCafe

https://m.facebook.com/littlemonkeysplaycafe

Are the 2 i have been too. There always seems to be different ones posted on Facebook

You're right thesteve re. the set times and that advantage. It's just something to keep in mind I suppose as competition for weekday mornings.

Play cafes are everywhere. I could list loads. They are generally in community centres and halls. I actually am not mad on them as they are the same as a parent and toddler group but more expensive. One place I went to was €5 in and they were selling kids pre=packed smoothies for €2

http://imgur.com/pKz38MF

Seems to be sideways and can't fix it on my phone!

Don't have a facebook account so I guess I miss out on advertising for these places!

pop the search term "play cafe" into facebook and you will see a list of ones closeby. I have counted 10 and I know they are all within 20 mins of me.

http://imgur.com/pKz38MF

Seems to be sideways and can't fix it on my phone!

Same toddler mornings are running in Dublin 15 a few years and do be quite empty.
    Had my sons birthday party at one 1.5 years ago and we practically had the run of the place :)

Don't have a facebook account so I guess I miss out on advertising for these places!

If you're thinking of setting something like this up, Facebook seems to be the primary way word spreads. Nearly every p&t group I know have Facebook pages and share reviews etc amongst members.
    Places without a Facebook page don't seem to get mentioned as much as you can't share a page easily and websites on mobile are generally atrocious

Edit : (mobile boards hates my phone)

Are you thinking of setting up thesteve? There is a gap in the market for something different.

• Advertisement

Are you thinking of setting up thesteve? There is a gap in the market for something different.

I have many business ideas, but once I had kids, the focus of them started to change due to the realisation that there's a constant, churning market (kinda like funeral parlours!). My oldest needs to expend a certain amount of energy each day and if he doesn't, his behaviour drastically changes for the worse.

I'm fine with gearing him up in rain clothes and letting him jump in puddles, but when it's freezing and #2 came along, it's off to the local play centre we go.

I'm not thinking of setting up myself (for now :)) but have many opinions of how I would do things differently!

I have many business ideas, but once I had kids, the focus of them started to change due to the realisation that there's a constant, churning market (kinda like funeral parlours!). My oldest needs to expend a certain amount of energy each day and if he doesn't, his behaviour drastically changes for the worse.

I'm fine with gearing him up in rain clothes and letting him jump in puddles, but when it's freezing and #2 came along, it's off to the local play centre we go.

I'm not thinking of setting up myself (for now :)) but have many opinions of how I would do things differently!

You need to get on facebook even if only for research ;)

You need to get on facebook even if only for research ;)

Aye, if/when I get to that stage, I'll open an account under a pseudonym so all the eejits I was in primary school with, and those cousins that I've been avoiding for 30 years can't find me.

Advertisement