Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long life light bulbs

Options
  • 06-04-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place, or if anyone is interested, but:

I always write the date on long life bulbs when I change them. I have just changed the bulb in the living room, which obviously is on a lot, and it is dated October '07 - Osram Dulux El longlife.

They claim 10 years at 3 hours a day, but I reckon it was in use a lot more than 3 hours a day, so I think that was pretty good.

Is anyone else keeping track?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

do they allow for much switching on/off
    for the 3 hrs

or is that 3hrs on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Interesting. I do that too. I have a Phillips 12yr energy saver in the landing since April 2008. Its on all night every night since for 10 or 12 hours, for the kids. Still goin strong!!

some of the regular lamps will also last years

I've a 25watt in the hall on a pir

it goes on and off ten times a day

must be in 5 years or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have a G9 fitting in my hall, i change a bulb every week.

WikiHow wrote: »
    I have a G9 fitting in my hall, i change a bulb every week.

is it subject to vibration

and you don't touch the lamp when replacing?

• Advertisement

is it subject to vibration

No vibration at all.
    and you don't touch the lamp when replacing?

That is an urban legend about not touching bulbs.

That is an urban legend about not touching bulbs.

first I heard of that

for halogen(G9 etc.) and some metal halide with hot outer glass?

thought the instructions state you have to wipe down the glass if fitting with bare hands?

thought the instructions statehood have to wipe down the glass?

The instructions do, makes no difference, was involved in an experiment years ago, wiping/touching made no difference whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

Sounds like the fitting needs replacing. The bulbs should last considerably longer!

The instructions do, makes no difference, was involved in an experiment years ago, wiping/touching made no difference whatsoever.

ok.. but I'd like a little more evidence than your experiment

• Advertisement

ok.. but I'd like a little more evidence than your experiment

There was alot of conclusive evidence produced in that experiment.

There was alot of conclusive evidence produced in that experiment.

ok... I don't have any knowledge on this

it may be as well if we clear it up definitively one way or the other here on this thread

ok... I don't have any knowledge on this

it may be as well if we clear it up definitively one way or the other here on this thread

Its for discussion for another thread, dont want to be drailing OPs thread.

To input to this thread i would have record of some bulbs fitted in place as invoices from purchasing and would have job name on them, i often see bulbs fail prematurely and one factor i feel would be rough shipping from courier companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

turbostan wrote: »
    Interesting. I do that too. I have a Phillips 12yr energy saver in the landing since April 2008. Its on all night every night since for 10 or 12 hours, for the kids. Still goin strong!!

I went looking for this thread after another 10,000 hrs solus cfl blew. Its been on the go for just over 2 years but there is no way it came anywhere near 10,000 hrs, I find that many of cfl bulbs don't last anywhere near their rated hours. I simply don't believe the marketing blurb that they last 10 times longer that the std bulb. When I went to change this bulb with another cfl, it just blew when I hit the switch. So Im seriously considering purchasing a batch of normal bulbs as I don't believe the cfls save money given their significantly higher costs. Couple this to the poorer quality light and the length of time they take to 'heat up' I quickly cooling my interest in them.

Its a similar story with many led bulbs .. I find I'm replacing them too regularly also.

Good point re writing date on replacements .. it will be interesting to see how long bulbs actually last in future.

Advertisement