Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 IWT Visa Part Time Students

• 06-04-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ok this has been frustrating me for weeks now. I am currently a part-time post graduate student in DCU. I am looking to go to the states on the J1-IWT 12 month working visa.
    I have been onto USIT and they have informed me that I am NOT eligible for the J1-IWT visa...because I am a part-time student.

I looked around and found alternative sponsorship organizations. Their is a Boston based company called IIIC (Irish International Immigration Center).
    They operate the exact same as USIT but they are a non-profitable company.
    I emailed them and asked them would I be eligible for the J1-IWT visa, to which they replied yes.
    Of course then I questioned them by saying that other sponsorship organizations say differently(USIT).

I then rang USIT back and told them that this IIIC crowd said that I was eligible. USIT told me that it is not up to the sponsoring companies, but to the embassy, and if when I go for my interview at the US embassy, they will reject me.

So I emailed IIIC back and told them this. But they said that they have never had any problems with part-time students in the past.

So this is what it all comes down to...
    In order to apply for the J1-IWT visa I must pay the following before my interview in the US embassy:

IIIC sponsorship fee - $990
    SEVIS fee - $180
    U.S. Embassy Interview fee - $160
    Insurance - approx $300

That is a total of $1630 (€1189)

Do I risk paying €1189 only to be told at the interview that I am being rejected because of my part-time student status?

I have been searching for anyone who might be able to give me more information, or anyone who has/is in this position.

To be honest I dont think I could handle just losing €1189 because of someones else's mistake.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hey I am in the same boat and got the same reply from USIT etc. I think the rule was not set up to stop people like me or you but to stop evening class type courses from qualifying for the Visa.

I think the way around it is when you graduate it will then make no difference whether you did a part time or full time course as your degree will not mention it.

Also looking at the forms I don't see any official forms mention whether your education needs to be full time or part time. In the exact wording from the embassy we should be allowed on the Visa.

It is good news that the Boston group will take us on unlike our crowd. Obviously one or two people got rejected in the past and they are too scared to take on more customers.

I would say we have a 95% chance of being allowed on it. So probably worth the risk. Let me know if you find anything more out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 garbo196

Im glad that there is someone else out there in the same position. I do however, wonder when we graduate will our cert say part time or full time. Because I requested an official letter from my college last week stating that I am registered and currently enrolled, and that I will finish in May. But of course it says that I am in my second year of a 2 year part time course.
    I do think that if we were to go with IIIC that there wouldn't be a problem, but I think I am going to hold off until my results come out in the summer, and maybe then I could get a letter stating that I have completed the course(hopefully not mentioning it was part time).

Its frustrating me because even though i finish in May this year, my graduation is not until March 2015.

You said...

" In the exact wording from the embassy we should be allowed on the Visa. "

Where did you get this information from?

See here:

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/j1/j1-visa-program---twelve-month-intern-work-and-travel-pilot-program.html

Be a citizen of Ireland.
    Be a bona fide post-secondary college/university student (enrolled and participating) or a recent graduate. A recent graduate is defined as an Irish citizen who has graduated from a post-secondary college/university in their home country not more than 12 months prior to the start of their internship beyond graduation. The applicant must provide evidence from his/her post-secondary institution of student status or graduation.
    Vocational students pursuing studies at a tertiary level accredited academic institution are not eligible for participation unless such vocational study is part of a structured program leading to a degree or other credential recognized as equivalent to Level VI of the Irish Higher Education System.
    Provide proof of sufficient financial resources, prior to the issuance of a Form DS-2019, to support themselves throughout their exchange visitor program and for their return home.
    Not be accompanied by spouse or dependents.

Ok I see, but why will they not accept part timers through USIT, SAYIT and goforless? Thats just what is baffling me.

I just could not get my head around USIT saying that "the embassy will refuse you when it comes to your interview"

I think the best thing for me to do is to hold off until I graduate, even if that does mean March 2015. I would have a better chance once graduated, as you pointed out.

What is your plan anyway? Just out of curiosity.

Hey just got an email to say Part Timers are once again being accepted. Good news for all :D

• Advertisement

What!!!!! Great news. From who did you get the email from?

Advertisement